PDA

View Full Version : Raise on the Flop?

Malificent
09-30-2004, 05:44 PM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP2 posts a blind of $0.75.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 (poster) calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, Button calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (17 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, Button calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (10.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, Button calls.

River: (14.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Button folds, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 18.50 BB, between MP2 and UTG+1.</font>

I'm mainly concerned with two things: The preflop raise (I may be going through a too aggressive phase) and the flop - should I be raising to clean up outs with a gutshot straight, backdoor flush and two overcards?

James Boston
09-30-2004, 05:49 PM
Yes, and the turn.

zram21
09-30-2004, 05:50 PM
The preflop raise is good.

I think the call on the flop is fine. The pot is so big that even if you raise your opponents would still be getting 10:1 to call. I don't think you are going to be very successful getting overcards to fold in this situation.

spacemonkey57
09-30-2004, 05:55 PM
I think the preflop raise is good.

Raise the flop if you think it'll get people out. The problem here is that the pot is so big that you really don't have any way to protect your hand. The three players after you will all be getting 10-1 on calling two bets cold.

I'm not sure how good your overcard outs are against a preflop limp-reraiser. Did you have any read on him? If he's not a typical party idiot I'd be worried he's getting cute with AA.

James Boston
09-30-2004, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The three players after you will all be getting 10-1 on calling two bets cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

They'll be getting 18-1 if he just calls. They may not fold, but he's got to try. His draw is still strong, although the overcards might be tainted outs.

Chris Daddy Cool
09-30-2004, 06:03 PM
preflop raise is fine.

the real interesting point here is the flop.

you cannot fold this hand of course, so that leaves in raising and calling.

the problem is that UTG+1 limp-reraised you, so you must state what kind of player he is and what he might do that with.

also, how likely is a raise going to knock out hands you need to knock out? If you're already reverse dominated, you're not going to fold them, plus you may get 3-bet anyways, and given the pot size you're not going to fold out gutshots or whatever hand you want to fold.

the only hand you can realisitically hope to fold is a better J or K, which I don't see your opponnents having anyways.

Malificent
09-30-2004, 06:34 PM
UTG+1 was fairly loose. He had beat my top pair earlier with a 45o played UTG. I didn't have a read on his aggression level at the time this hand was played though. But I didn't feel like he necessarily had to have a premium hand for the limp re-raise here.

Malificent
09-30-2004, 11:47 PM
For those interested:

UTG+1 has Js Jh (one pair, jacks).
MP2 has 5h 8d (straight, ten high).
Outcome: MP2 wins 18.50 BB.