PDA

View Full Version : Connecting an XBOX to my dell 2001fp monitor

NLSoldier
09-30-2004, 05:36 PM
Does anyone know if its possible to connect an xbox to a computer monitor, or mores specifically, to dell 2001fp? If so could you briefly describe how? I'm assuming it requires a special cable or somthing.... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

ThaSaltCracka
09-30-2004, 06:05 PM
http://www.midwest-games.com/micxboxxboxv.html

NLSoldier
09-30-2004, 06:18 PM
Awesome saltcracka! Thanks so much. Nice to see that some other poker players have good taste in video games as well!

ThaSaltCracka
09-30-2004, 07:04 PM
I don't have an x box, but I am amazed at how google works /images/graemlins/grin.gif, your welcome!

NLSoldier
10-01-2004, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't have an x box, but I am amazed at how google works , your welcome!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, now i feel LAZY! And here i was gonna offer you a match on xbox live when halo 2 comes out in november....

ThaSaltCracka
10-01-2004, 03:24 PM
if I had one I would take you up on that offer.

Seriously, Google is amazing /images/graemlins/smile.gif

wacki
10-01-2004, 03:31 PM
Yes it is, and here is why:

http://www.tnl.net/blog/entry/How_many_Google_machines
It is estimated that they have up to ~79,112 dual processor servers, or 158,224 CPUs.

And as many Ph.D's as microsoft (which is 30x larger).
http://slashdot.org/articles/04/06/07/1030205.shtml

ThaSaltCracka
10-01-2004, 03:38 PM
now you are showing off Wacki.

NLSoldier
10-01-2004, 03:41 PM
And all this time i thought it was just a monkey that went and found the pages you were searching for...

TylerD
10-01-2004, 04:03 PM
Its actually a team of monkeys, much like the dealers at Party.

mikeyvegas
10-01-2004, 04:53 PM
On the 2001fp you have 4 different video inputs: dvi, vga, s-video, and composite.

I beleive you should be able to use a composite extension(yellow input) for your composite av cable that came with you xbox and that should work fine. That way you wouldn't have to use up your VGA input for your xbox. You should be able to find a cable like this at your local Radio Shack or any online cable vendor.

Male to Female extension (http://www.mycableshop.com/sku/CRCA-25MF.htm?x=26&y=27)

Edit: Added link to cable.

NLSoldier
10-01-2004, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I beleive you should be able to use a composite extension(yellow input) for your composite av cable that came with you xbox and that should work fine. That way you wouldn't have to use up your VGA input for your xbox. You should be able to find a cable like this at your local Radio Shack or any online cable vendor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not quite sure i follow...can i just plug in the yellow part of the cable that came with my xbox(it has red white and yellow) ...or do i have to buy that one that you posted the link to? Thanks, I was about to buy that 50 dollar one saltcracka reccomended!

ThaSaltCracka
10-01-2004, 07:50 PM
yeah you should be able to.

I didn't realize your monitor had all those connections. S-Video will give you a better picture quality. I don't know enough about the x-box, but I think that dvi port might be HD quality. If you can get that cord you should be able to get some sweet picture quality.

By all means, if you just want the composite connection, just use the one that came with your x box and save your $50. Believe me, I hate wasting money on cords as much as you!

I actually just looked up the monitor on google /images/graemlins/grin.gif, 1600x1200 resolution, if I am not mistaken, isn't that right up there with HD?

mikeyvegas
10-01-2004, 08:06 PM
Yeah, I was going to ask what you were going to do for sound. The red and white plugs are for the Left and Right channels for audio. Are you plugging those into a receiver? Computer's sound card? Staying in you TV? Boombox???

The xbox AV adapter cable(from what I've read) has one connecter that goes into the xbox and the other end has 3 prongs (Red/white/yellow). The cable I linked is an extention for the the yellow. That way you could plug the Red/white cables into a receiver or your computer and use the extension to reach your monitor.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

NLSoldier
10-03-2004, 10:21 PM
ya i was wondering about sound as well. But i think using that extender should work cause my stereo is right next to my monitor. Thanks again for the help guys. And im not sure about that HD stuff you were talkin about saltcracka, but i have heard that using a monitor with an xbox can get you far better picture than a tv.

RandR
10-13-2004, 12:59 PM
I have played plenty of Halo on my CRT monitor using http://www.x2vga.com/. The picture quality is absolutely amazing, using component on my HD doesnt even compare.

As for the dell2001fp, havent personally tried xbox on it, but 3d gaming is generally going to be much better on a CRT as opposed to an LCD due to lack of refresh rate on the LCD's. So if you got a spare CRT just laying around this is a great way to put it to use /images/graemlins/grin.gif