PDA

View Full Version : 1st time in Pot Limit...the fish I was

08-27-2001, 02:00 PM
It was the 1st time for me at PotLimit ...I have HE-NL few times before but lower limit and with unskill players .Blinds are 5-5 , the player to my right is a descent 10-20 players and he has played PL 2 or 3 times before , the players to my left is a semi-maniac tricky , and he has played PL few times before , for all the other , it"s the 1st time they play PL .

#1 -7 players at the table I am dealt AA on the button ( I have 550 ) , UTG make it 15 to go , Tony with a short stack call from mid-position and semi-maniac (he has 750$)call and I raise the pot , blinds fold and UTG fold , Tony call , and semi-maniac calls , flop come AQ6r , Tony bets 45 all-in , and semi maniac think 10 seconds and fold , and I obiously call and win . I want to know if I have over bet pre-flop . #2 - 5 players at the table I am dealt Ad9h UTG (500) and make it 10 to call , Steven to my left calls , and semi maniac call from the blind . Flop come 4c5d9c , semi-maniac bets into me the pot ( I have played with him at 10-20 few times before and I know that semi-maniac put me on AK all the time I raise , and he always bet into me when babies flop wathever he has ) so , I raise the pot , but Steven calls the 100$ , semi-maniac fold , The turn make the board 4c5d9c-3c , I check and Steven bets150$ in the 270$ pot , I fold , I put him right now on the flush and nothing else . He shows me 5-5 . #3 - 5 players at the table , I am dealt 7d8d from the 2nd blind , Steven raise the pot and everybody call , and I call ....( after tought , I think it was a very ( very ! ) loose call ) . I have 450 in front of me . 75$ in the pot . Flop come 4dTdJc , Check , check and Steven bets the pot , mid-position think and call fastly , he has 80$ left , and I call , the turn make the board 4dTdJc4h , I check , Steven bets 100 , mid position think and call all-in saying that he went too far in that hand and he has to call , I think 2 minutes and I have made the worse call of my life . There was my tough : a 9 or a diamond I need , so 13 cards helps me , so 13/46 = 3.6 , and if I catch a 8 or a 7 , I'll be good if steven has AK or AQ and he's not going to bet with someone all-in (I'll be good only if someone is on a draw ) . There a few things I didn't had consider - If the guy all-in has QK , it kill my straight draw . - if the guy all-in has an higher flush draw i'm in trouble . - Jd could be no good - Ad is no good if Steven has AA or the guy all-in A4 and Kd and Qd might not be good if Steven has that pocket pair . - If Steven has 44 ,TT or JJ I am dead . The worse happen ; Qd come on the river and I bet all-in 250$ and Steven calls saying '' I don't know if you have the flush , but if you have it , it's no good " and he calls showing me TT . I feel I have played that hand like a fish

08-28-2001, 08:02 AM
Nobody else has posted a response so I will - just so long as you are aware that these are the thoughts of a fellow beginner not some world class pro.

I cannot fault either the first or the second hands. You cannot overbet the pre-flop with aces. Unless you get trips or a flush draw two aces will not hold up in a big pot (if someone will play back at you they usually have your aces beat). I am a begginer but have enough experiences (both in quantity and cost!) to know that unless you are Doyle Brunson you shouldn't slow play big pairs - just win before the flop.

The second hand is also fine. You protect yourself against the draw (you can't blame yourself for not putting someone on hidden trips). On the turn you are beat, you fold...played like a pro.

Third hand - oh well. "Don't throw good money after bad" is an important maxim at limit. I've learnt the hard way that its more important at big bet poker. You may have made a mistake calling on the turn but you didn't have to call an even bigger bet on the river. How calling $100 is the "worst call you ever made" I don't know - surely the $270 was worse?