PDA

View Full Version : NL Hand, horribly misplayed

08-24-2001, 05:34 PM
2-3-5 no limit, 7 handed.

The point of this hand is that if you can just step back and think about the hand as if it were someone else's hand, it's often obvious what you need to do. But in the heat of battle you start confusing yourself. It was so obvious that I was losing it's a little mind boggling that I even CONSIDERED putting money in the pot.

The player on my right is loose-passive preflop. He's passive on the flop when he has nothing but he will totally overbet his decent and good hands. I've never seen him make a big bluff. The farthest I've seen him go is to bet out with only ace high when he misses the flop, but he does this rarely. He likes to call big bets when he's on a draw. Yes, he's a very bad player. (BP) But he's incredibly lucky. I've never seen anyone win so much money playing so badly.

I look like I have been playing snug but it's because I've been holding nothing but crap all night.

I have 900 in front of me and BP covers me. (He just won a monster pot by calling-all in with a gut shot and making it on the river).

BP opens under the gun for 20. I raise to 70 with two red jacks. All fold to BP who raises 150 more.

I am guaranteed to be facing a bigger pair right now. There's 300 in the pot, and I'll have about 700 behind me if I call. I'm BARELY getting the odds to go for a set but I call anyway. I know for sure that I need the set to win.

Flop is two-tone rags. BP bets 100. This is where my mind turns to mush. Somehow I convince myself he might be betting a flush draw or have only AK and I call. I figure to myself that it's worth 100 to call and see if he'll stop betting. If he stops betting, then I might have a chance at having the best hand. Confusion reigns supreme apparently.

Turn is the suited ace, putting three hearts on the board.

BP bets 250 more. Ok, clarity at last!

I have a draw to a flush against his trip aces.

250 to win 900 although I'm guaranteed to get paid so I can call 250 and if I hit I double up. He has trip aces because he simply would not bet into a three flush board with the ace out there if he had only KK or something. Even if he had the suited king he would check roughly 99% of the time. He's very timid in the face of scare cards so when he bet the turn after the ace showed up he might as well have flipped his AA face up for me.

So I should call right? 250 to win about 1300 25% of the time. I fold cause I'm stupid and confused right now. So I lost 300 on a JJ that I knew was no good from the get go. And when I finally got to the point where I was getting the odds to draw to a winner, I folded. And I wasn't even drinking!

I couldn't have played this hand worse except by going all-in preflop.

Amazingly, I broke even for the night without making a single hand that got paid.

natedogg

08-24-2001, 06:42 PM
I'm not sure what to say, except: DON'T DO THAT! A good example of accurate hand reading though. (I assume it's accurate, you didn't say whether he showed or not).

-MD

08-24-2001, 09:35 PM
I thought you said he would overbet his decent hands. Isn't this hand decent on the flop? And he only bet $100?

08-25-2001, 05:37 AM
Wow, that's pretty bad. I'm certainly capable of worse, but Nate? Shocking! 8:)

The call on the flop looks like the worst play of the hand...but you know this already.

Did you post this hand for advertising purposes?

Adam.

08-25-2001, 04:30 PM
Nate,

Awhile back I recall that you had depleated your bankroll and now you're playing NL. Wow!

I'm probably wrong, but I got the feeling that after the turn you were playing to "Not Lose Your Bankroll" rather than playing to win the pot.

Considering how often I miss flush draws, I might have considered folding as you did, but most likely I would have played really stupid and lost when when I missed the flush or set.

Anyway what do I know I'm a rookie at this game.

Rich

08-25-2001, 06:02 PM
I am guaranteed to be facing a bigger pair right now. There's 300 in the pot, and I'll have about 700 behind me if I call. I'm BARELY getting the odds to go for a set but I call anyway. I know for sure that I need the set to win.

You're going to call 150 to make 1000. The math is so easy, I can even do it: you need to flop a set that doesn't get beaten by a higher set more than 15% of the time. (I'm going to do the math on this, but my guess is that it might be a little less than 15%.) I think you raised to get information, but then didn't use the information you got. I've read your own posts on this very forum where you've indicated that NL isn't about exploiting small edges, at least where you whole stack is at stake. This is where you should have laid it down.

Flop is two-tone rags. BP bets 100. This is where my mind turns to mush. Somehow I convince myself he might be betting a flush draw or have only AK and I call. I figure to myself that it's worth 100 to call and see if he'll stop betting. If he stops betting, then I might have a chance at having the best hand. Confusion reigns supreme apparently.

This may represent confusion, but I think it better illustrates Wishful Thinking. Confusion can be rectified by taking a few moments to think things over. Wishful thinking is more resistant to reality.

I have a draw to a flush against his trip aces.

Why can't he have AxKh? KhXh?

250 to win 900 although I'm guaranteed to get paid so I can call 250 and if I hit I double up. He has trip aces because he simply would not bet into a three flush board with the ace out there if he had only KK or something. Even if he had the suited king he would check roughly 99% of the time. He's very timid in the face of scare cards so when he bet the turn after the ace showed up he might as well have flipped his AA face up for me.

So I should call right?

No, no, no!

250 to win about 1300 25% of the time.

If he has AA, you'll hit 20% of the time. And I think 900 to win is a better figure than 1300. If there are four hearts on the board, there are hands he can have that can either be folded or beat you. But even with the most optimistic scenario, you only have a tiny edge.

I fold cause I'm stupid and confused right now.

NO! Good fold! Get out now. Just because he's a BP doesn't mean he can't take your stack.

So I lost 300 on a JJ that I knew was no good from the get go.

Live and learn. You didn't lose 300, you made 600 that you didn't put in the pot.

And I wasn't even drinking! Never to late to start. :)

You didn't play all that bad. Against a BP, sometimes you have to hang on to a hand a little longer than normal. Good lay down. What did he show, 10 10?

08-27-2001, 12:35 AM
Thanks Phat Mack. You made some excellent points.

Good lay down. What did he show, 10 10?

No, he showed AA. He's that easy. It was a CERTAINTY that he held AA when he bet into the turn.

..I think it better illustrates Wishful Thinking.

So TRUE! I always say that the biggest trap in no limit is the thought: "Maybe he's bluffing." When you start thinking that to yourself, you are grasping at straws. You're looking for an excuse to get your money in with the worst hand.

I've read your own posts on this very forum where you've indicated that NL isn't about exploiting small edges, at least where you whole stack is at stake. This is where you should have laid it down.

Again, I agree with you 100%. Almost every decision I made in this hand contradicted my philosophy and style and approach to no limit. Thus, the title of the thread!

We all play a hand badly sometimes. Some more than others.

natedogg