PDA

View Full Version : Trying to run good. An update.

Bob T.
09-30-2004, 04:05 PM
Earlier this month, I made a post, about how I seemed to run well during bonus periods, and that I thought that part of the reason for that, is that I was playing to get in a certain number of hands, instead of playing to win some money, or not lose some money, or something like that.

So I decided that I for a while I would try and play a certain number of hands each week, and let the results take care of themselves.

Anyway, for the month, I was able to play about 90% of the hands that I was planning on playing, but the shortfall wasn't a real problem, because I ended up playing about 20% more hours than I usually do.

My winrate was slightly higher than my average for the year, so combined with the extra hours, I ended up with a nice month.

I felt that the extra time that I put in in some of the sessions resulted in me getting a better read on my opponents, and I probably made more plays that were totally read dependent this month, than I have before.

I also thought that the goal of playing a certain number of hands each day, made it easier to play well, and not worry about shortterm results or swings.

Final note, I figured out how many hands per day at my current winrate it would take me to play fulltime, making up for my benefits, the different tax situation, etc. and one saturday, I thought I would try to get that many hands in. I played an early evening session, which included a very nice 10-20 table, took a break, played one more session, took another break, and sat down for a third session to finish off the hands that I would need. But my brain was done for the day. I was exhausted, and I forced myself to play 2 laps on one table to see if I would wake up, but it just wasn't going to happen. So my run of consequtive days where I played enough to be a fulltime player ended at about .8. During that day, I was running well, and only lost at one table. It ended up being my second best day ever, not counting tournament results.

It gave me a lot more perspective on how tough it must be for guys like DavidRoss who can sit down and grind out enough hands day after day to make a living, or how tough something like Schneids 60K in 60 days challenge would really be.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

Lost Wages
09-30-2004, 04:32 PM
Nice post Bob.

For myself, I have found exactly the opposite to be true. I haven't kept any records but, I'm quite sure that I do significantly worse while bonus clearing. The main reason is that I spend too much time playing at sub-optimal sites (i.e. any site other than Party). The smaller sites have such limited game selection that I often just take what I can get to knock out some hands.

Some other reasons are that I play longer than I should or more tables than I should to try and reach my "goal".

Now that I have built a good bankroll and play higher stakes, a $100 bonus doesn't have nearly the effect or appeal that it once did. For some time I have been considering limiting my bonus whoring to the "Big 4".

Lost Wages

Bob T.
09-30-2004, 04:37 PM
For some time I have been considering limiting my bonus whoring to the "Big 4".

That is what I do. It still adds up to a couple of thousand a year, and I was going to play on those sites anyway.

mauisupaman
09-30-2004, 04:43 PM
Howzit Bob,
I think the solution to all poker players is to get their spouse to learn cards. If you could get your wife to play exactly like you do think of how much time you'd save. Instead of pounding out an 8-10 hour session you could both just play for 4 hours or X number of hands a day and be done. Of course, I attempted this but my fiance will simply not lay down K5o and Q3o for one small bet. Ah, well. Guess I gotta get a real job.
A hui hou,
Adam

SomethingClever
09-30-2004, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I also thought that the goal of playing a certain number of hands each day, made it easier to play well, and not worry about shortterm results or swings.

[/ QUOTE ]

This attitude has been working for me as well.

My goal was to play 10,000 hands this month between .5/1, 1/2 and 2/4.

Well, I started off running terribly at 2/4, and it was a little discouraging. But I kept grinding at the .5/1 and 1/2, and focusing on the # of hands played rather than my winning and losing streaks.

I reached 10,200 hands yesterday, and I've had my best month yet.

I'm still running a little worse than hoped for at 2/4, but the absolute crushing of .5/1 and 1/2 has made up for it.

BottlesOf
09-30-2004, 04:48 PM
cool post. how many hands did you play that day?

Bob T.
09-30-2004, 04:49 PM
I think the solution to all poker players is to get their spouse to learn cards.

Then I would have to play three times as much /images/graemlins/grin.gif. My wife has two poker mantras that she alternates between. 'Take a chance', and 'Go for it'.

Everytime she goes to a party with are coworkers and they have a nolimit sitngo, and am almost guaranteed to have to listen to somebody's bad beat story. 'Your wife called a third of her chips with 75s, and then the flop came A84 and she called the rest to catch a 6 on the river to beat my set of aces /images/graemlins/frown.gif.' Or something like that.

Bob T.
09-30-2004, 04:49 PM