PDA

View Full Version : 99 UTG fold PF?

runa
09-30-2004, 02:35 PM
The table was generally tight-passive so I didn't want to fold. I decided to try raising PF.

Comments on flop play?

No specific reads.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif. CO posts a blind of $1.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">CO (poster) 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero bets, MP3 folds, CO raises, Hero raises, CO calls all-in.

River: (9.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

Entity
09-30-2004, 02:35 PM
FWIW, I almost always raise 99 UTG. I think most 2+2ers do.

Rob

wayabvpar
09-30-2004, 02:36 PM
I raise 99 nearly every time I am first to enter a pot.

prayformojo
09-30-2004, 02:45 PM
I don't really understand the question about folding pre-flop. Are you asking if you should have? Absolutely not. In fact, with CO posting with a short stack, and MP3 already coldcalling two bets, I might cap pre-flop to get MP3 out or to put money in the pot from his AXo.

3-bet the flop. It's not a particularly dangerous board, but it would be nice to isolate CO, and if you can't, nice to get more money in from MP3 while you have the nuts. I can't understand calling unless you plan to jam the turn for more expensive bets. This may be an option if CO has plenty of chips, but with only a few left, don't worry about keeping people around. You can't count on the caller to keep calling when you bet the turn again.

sfer
09-30-2004, 03:00 PM
I like that stop n' go and jam a lot.

99 is a routine UTG raise for me.

Moozh
09-30-2004, 03:09 PM
I usually limp early with 9's and play for a set, but I can see how in most cases raising has it's merits.

Unfortunately, this isn't one of those 'most cases'. Perhaps your pattern mapper wasn't working right. But, if it was, you should have known you were going to hit top set on the flop. In this case, raising UTG is horrible because you're pushing people out of the pot. You have to limp here and hope to get raised from late position.

Also, since your pattern mapper should be telling you that the CO has AA, you know he'll be giving you action. Since he's in late position, it's a perfect setup to trap the weak calling-stations in the middle for extra bets.

To be honest, I think you really butchered this hand. You'll probably want to get your pattern mapper checked. Oh, and ever hear of the card game War? Maybe you should give it a shot. At least then you wouldn't be a losing player. No, you'd probably suck at that too.

radek2166
09-30-2004, 03:12 PM
3 Bet that flop. Lead the turn. I quit looking after that. Had to go puke

runa
09-30-2004, 03:15 PM
Wow, your pattern mapper must be right on because CO showed down AA and MHIG.

prayformojo
09-30-2004, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like that stop n' go and jam a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it too, when the opponent with cards has money to spend. Is it appropriate here, when you can't count on MP3 to stick around, and CO only has 3 BB left?

sfer
09-30-2004, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it appropriate here, when you can't count on MP3 to stick around, and CO only has 3 BB left?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I like it. I think my chances of keeping MP3 in are better for a single bet on the turn than a double on the flop. As the the CO, with 3 BBs left I full expect him all in before showdown almost regardless of Hero's action.

prayformojo
09-30-2004, 04:22 PM
Fair enough. I would expect MP3 to be on some longshot backdoor draw or a low pocket pair (or any two random cards). My gut says that he is more likely to call two bets cold on the flop with two cards to come, when the dim hope is still there, then one on the turn when the hope is flittering away. I don't have much to back that up, though.

Cosimo
09-30-2004, 07:21 PM
I'll limp with 99-77 in EP first in; limp in LP behind a few callers or raise first in; and MP action depends on table texture.

Entity
09-30-2004, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll limp with 99-77 in EP first in; limp in LP behind a few callers or raise first in; and MP action depends on table texture.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I guess that's an individual decision, but I raise 99-AA and limp 22-88. I have been known to raise 88 in a complete rockfest when I'm taking the blinds down more than normal as well, but normal procedure is raising 99-AA.

When I first started reading 2+2, I only raised JJ+ preflop. Ugh.

Rob

Cosimo
09-30-2004, 07:53 PM
I'll add a disclaimer that I'm a Monsters-Under-the-Bed WLLHE player who just recently switched to SSH style. My transcriptions of the SSH guidelines ("which are just guidelines") give these rules.

Until I've got 10k-20k hands in, though, I'm gonna stick to the same scheme.

Entity
09-30-2004, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll add a disclaimer that I'm a Monsters-Under-the-Bed WLLHE player who just recently switched to SSH style. My transcriptions of the SSH guidelines ("which are just guidelines") give these rules.

Until I've got 10k-20k hands in, though, I'm gonna stick to the same scheme.

[/ QUOTE ]
Whatever works for you. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

My PF guidelines are based off of SSH, but have been fine-tuned by 2+2.

Rob