PDA

View Full Version : Fear not the flush.

Entity
09-30-2004, 01:56 PM
I just sat down at the table, so no reads. I've played 3 hands, and have raised or 3-bet all of them (JJ, hit my set and got counterfeited by a 5-flush on board, QJs, and this one). My image probably seems a bit nutbar, but I've won all of the pots I've been in so far.

With only one opponent remaining on the river, a raise is better than an overcall, right?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

River: (10 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB

brettbrettr
09-30-2004, 02:02 PM
I don't get it. The river improved you, but not enough to beat a flush. Why raise the river if you're not raising the turn? Did you put him on exactly QJ?

Entity
09-30-2004, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it. The river improved you, but not enough to beat a flush. Why raise the river if you're not raising the turn? Did you put him on exactly QJ?

[/ QUOTE ]
He's semi-passive postflop, so I put him on two pair. QJ seemed like a good possibility, but surprisingly enough, so did J4s, J2s, etc. In past hands he's slowed down quite a bit against aggression from me.

So yes, I did put him on 2pr, and QJ seemed most likely.

Rob

PuertoKid
09-30-2004, 02:07 PM
I wouldn't put him on the flush draw, though it is certainly possible. I'd be more likely to put him on KQ off, QJ or QT.

But I've lost a lot of pots to people hanging in for the flush and hitting it.

I would have raised the turn.