PDA

View Full Version : % of flops seen

Spree
09-30-2004, 01:12 PM
I played in a PP 5+1 tourney yesterday. It was only my fourth online tourney thus far but I made 19th. I should have made higher but I made a horrid call during a moment where I felt like I could give myself alot of breathing room. My question though is this. My stats from the tourney were like this I saw 50% of my flops (which I felt was way to high, judging from what I read). I won 25% of all hands I played and 37% of all flops I saw.

My tendencies probably ran like this. I would see the flop for any pocket pair, any Ace,king,queen with a suited lower card or an unsuited 8+, any suited two card straight.

When I was shorter stacked I would probably see slightly less flops. And when I was large stacks I probably saw every ace, king or queen.

How off am I on this? I know this maybe very noobish.

TwoShedsJackson
09-30-2004, 01:26 PM
You'll usually see more flops near the start as the blinds are so small, but 50% does seem more than a little high. I played that 5+1 torunament too and saw 24%, in a ring game I'd be around 18%.

[ QUOTE ]
I would see the flop for any pocket pair, any Ace,king,queen with a suited lower card or an unsuited 8+, any suited two card straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pocket pairs and Ax suited I'll almost always seen the flop if it hasn't been raised, if a lot of pots are being raised I'll dump 77-22 in early position, and A8s or lower. King and Queen suited I would almost never play, maybe on the button for one bet.

[ QUOTE ]
And when I was large stacks I probably saw every ace, king or queen.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is variable too - say you play A5o, what are you looking to get on the flop? If you get an Ace you can't like it too much because of your terrible kicker, and apart from that high card you have no strength.

So you're playing too many hands in my honest opinion, on the other hand I came 92nd in that same tournament so maybe you're on to something /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Spree
09-30-2004, 01:31 PM
Thank you I did drop most of the weaker ones when there was an above ante bet. I should have specified that I was more or less speaking about non raised pots. Thanks for responding.

Mammux
09-30-2004, 03:47 PM
You didn't mention position in your post. It is very important to take your position into consideration when looking at starting hands. According to one system, 75o is OK in late position, while 88, QTs or AJo should not be played at all in early position.

Especially if you are still learning, it is important to be tight in early position preflop because your postflop play is vulnerable.

-Magnus

Spree
09-30-2004, 04:17 PM
So early on what do you consider to be minimum hands for seeing the flop? And would you have more tendancy to see lesser hands on the button?

Mammux
09-30-2004, 05:57 PM
Since we are on the 2+2 website, let me start by recommending their holdem books. SSH (Small Stakes Holdem) is excellent, and should be perfect for your level.

Here's my personal preflop strategy:

EP: AA-99, Axs, AKo, AQo, Q-KTs, QJs, JTs, T9s
MP: AA-22, Axs, AK-ATo, KQo, KJo, Kxs, QJ, JT, T9, 98s, 87s
LP: AA-22, Axs, AK-A8, Kxs, KQ-KT, QJ-QT, JT-J9,
any 2 adjacent suited down to 54s

However, this is adjusted by a number of factors:

* Blinds, early in an SnG the blinds are small so I play looser.
* The number of callers; many callers, I play more suiteds and less high hands like KQ or AJ.
* The loose- or tightness of the table.

Oh, and I tend to 'break' my system once in a while so as not to be completely predictable. For a while I tried to play 27o just like I played AA ..

-Magnus