PDA

View Full Version : Pot Limit Home Game Advice Needed

08-18-2001, 03:07 PM
I've recently been invited to a $2/5 blind pot limit dealer's choice game. Each player chooses a game and we play a whole round of it. Most players call Holdem or Omaha/8, but I'm told there's one guy who always calls Crazy Pineapple, another calls Omaha Hi and another Stud/8. I've played all of these games in a limit format, but have only played PL Holdem and a little bit of PL Omaha/8. Most players buy in for $200 or $300 and rebuy as needed.

I would appreciate any general advice you all might have, but I do have a couple of specific questions: Are there any specific things that I should be wary of in PL Crazy Pineapple or PL Stud/8? Are there any Internet sites or books with pot limit info on these other games? In PL Omaha/8, with a hand like A24x or A2xx with a suited ace, how aggressively should this be played preflop? What if the flop brings the nut low draw and some kind of high draw like a runner runner flush or gutshot straight? As far as the buy in goes, I'd really like to buy in for $600 or $700, but this might be a faux pas with everyone else buying in for only $200 or $300. Any ideas on how much to buy in for? Thanks for your help.

Scott...

08-19-2001, 06:08 PM
it's best to be accepted as "one of the guys", so just make same size buy as they do. after a few games, and you are "in" then you can buy more

for reason above and for safety in new games I suggest that you not be very aggressive. you will soon learn that some of those games are very different from your usual game, and adjust your actions to fit

08-22-2001, 07:02 PM
Hi Scott,

a few books I would definitely recommend:

PotLimit and NoLimit Poker by S. Reuben and B. Ciaffone SuperSystem by D. Brunson PotLimit and NoLimit Holdem by T.J. Cloutier

Stephan

08-22-2001, 11:56 PM
q

08-24-2001, 12:13 AM
What part of the country, Scott?