PDA

View Full Version : AQs unimproved

Scotch78
09-30-2004, 11:08 AM
Like everyone else I was playing on Empire the past few days, and I was stunned by the level of play. I mean, I know PokerStars is tougher, but I couldn't believe the difference. No wonder everyone plays on Party. So I decided to whore myself out until I have the bankroll for $5-$10 and switch to PP. Working my 50% at Paradise at the moment, and I'm simply not used to players this LAGgy on PS, so here's the hand:

Villain is very loose with hand selection and betting/raising standards. I wouldn't say he's aggressive though. He doesn't go to war often and doesn't necesarrily keep the pressure on after showing flop "aggression". 50-60% sure I have him beat at every stage, and think I can get him to fold a hand like AK or 77, maybe even TT.

Paradise Poker 5/10 Hold'em (5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP folds, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.70 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.70 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>

Final Pot: 9.70 BB

Scott

Scotch78
09-30-2004, 12:33 PM
This hand was higher than my normal stakes AND a situation I haven't been in often to begin with, so I could really use some feedback from the $5-$10 and $10-$20 crowd. I think it's a good line, but you guys know for sure. Thanx

Scott

Trix
09-30-2004, 12:52 PM
I would have folded to the flopraise unless he was a total clown.

[ QUOTE ]
and think I can get him to fold a hand like AK or 77, maybe even TT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Loose people really arenīt much into that folding thing..

I dont like the riverbet either, I dont think he will ever fold, but he may have checked through some of the better hands.

If you are going to spend two bets after the flop, then I would rather CR the turn and check-fold the river if he calls, unless and A or Q comes.

meow_meow
09-30-2004, 01:04 PM
If he folds here, you have him beat anyway

PokerNoob
09-30-2004, 01:23 PM
Move along... nothing to see here. What I get for having too many windows open, I was trying to reply to the quiz thread. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Scotch78
09-30-2004, 01:25 PM
"Total" might be a *little* strong, but he was definitely a clown. Also, I had not noticed him taking too many hands to showdown, so he can let go (remember, he doesn't go to war either).

I considered both a flop 3-bet and a turn bet, but took this line to make more when he's bluffing and save if he's not. I fold to the check-raise almost every time, but I felt my read was strong enough, and planned to see the showdown unless it got pretty scary. In the end he did fold. Sounds like I should've too though. Oh well /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Scott

Scotch78
09-30-2004, 01:27 PM
HUH?

kiddo
09-30-2004, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
50-60% sure I have him beat at every stage

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. If you are ahead 50-60% after he raised you on flop (then he got to be a pretty tricky bluffer), you aint 50-60% ahead when he bet turn.

And on river he will normally call/raise when ahead and fold when behind. Who have you met headsup thinking about folding a pair when pot is pretty big? I wouldnt do it unless the other one was a mouse.

Against a predictable player I would often fold flop when raised holding only 1 overcard. If he got K you got 3 tiny outs. And if he got a smaller pair you got 6 outs which isnt much. Yes, he could be bluffing with worse then unimproved AQ on a K high board, but is he bluffing often enough?

Guy McSucker
09-30-2004, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

took this line to make more when he's bluffing and save if he's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, check-call the river!

Guy.

Scotch78
09-30-2004, 01:31 PM
I bet instead because I felt I could push him off hands like AK and 77.

Scott

kiddo
09-30-2004, 01:32 PM
Yep, problem is that in this hand you are first playing him like he is loose and then as tight.

You think he is playing loose/aggressive early and weak/tight at the end, eh?

tripdad
09-30-2004, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got an 87. Where he's weak/tight, I'm probably thinking "pot build, raise the turn". Lets see what I got wrong..

1) 6 1/2 outs? Fold? You gotta be kidding.

3) I raise AJo here but play carefully. I think I'm good enough to extricate myself from a dominated situation.

4) I got it right, go for overcalls and hopefully 3-bet somebody's ass. I'm sure not afraid of the SF.

5) I bet/call a raise with the intention of checkraising the turn. It really depends on how many callers hang around after my flop lead and his raise.

6) I raise. He's talking out both sides of his ass in his answer (Pro only plays superpremium cards, yet he'll get you to lay down with a worse hand)!?!

7) Ditto 6.

13) Raise.

14) Helps to have a read, but I usually raise a poor player here. Fold is good against weak/tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

what are you smoking? where can i get some cheap?

cheers!

Scotch78
09-30-2004, 01:35 PM
Yeah, guess that's the best way to put it. He'll overplay mediocre hands, but often fold them against resistance. Does the added information correct my play? I really felt this was one of my better hands, but now I'm not so sure.

Scott

tripdad
09-30-2004, 01:39 PM
these games may be softer than what you are used to, but i promise you wil lose your aXX playing like this.

you took your shot, time to cut your losses.

cheers!

kiddo
09-30-2004, 01:43 PM
If you have such a good read on him that you can say he is looseaggressive in the beginning and weak/tight at the end, well, then I am not sure why you post?

Your player is 1/10000 and you played him fine /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Scotch78
09-30-2004, 01:52 PM
Yes, I felt I played it perfectly given the read I had and turned a 2BB loss into a 6BB gain. Seems a little incredible though for a situation (higher limit, different players) that is new to me, so I was looking for some confirmation. Excepting tripdad, whose replay makes me think he didn't read the full thread, I seem to have gotten it. Thanx!

Scott

michfan
09-30-2004, 02:19 PM
How do you expect to push him off TPTK? Basically no chance he folds AK heads up with that board.

Your turn check call is terrible.

Do not be results oriented. You overplayed A high and got lucky.

Scotch78
09-30-2004, 02:24 PM
haha! oops, AK should not have been on that list. Just hope I made the mental error while posting, not playing.

Scott