PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 6max newbie - Questions and a hand i'm sure i played wrong.

Peter Harris
09-30-2004, 08:44 AM
Hi all, I am new to shorthanded play. The most cursory knowledge of it i have from tourneys.

Questions - where may i read a decent outline of preflop raising/limping hands? I am aware of the broad strokes of "high cards/pairs more important than connected/suited hands", but would be more comfortable with a notable source on PF play. I know i need to raise plenty and have higher VP$IP than full ring, and the deviation will be greater, but i'd love more solid advice.

Here's a hand from my first session. Comments would be most appreciated.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, MP folds, Button folds, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, SB calls.

too loose PFR??

Flop: (6 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, SB calls.

should i do this??

Turn: (4.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, SB calls.

too aggressive?

River: (7.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks.

should i bet the river with 3rd nut flush?

Final Pot: 7.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 7.50 BB, between SB, Hero and UTG.</font>

Thanks very much in advance for your book/literature recommendations and hand comments. I look forward to posting here.

Regards,
Pete Harris

Dov
09-30-2004, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, MP folds, Button folds, SB completes, Hero raises, UTG calls, SB calls.

too loose PFR??

[/ QUOTE ]

I think limping is better here. It is not unreasonable to assume that UTG has an A, K, or Q unless you have reads to the contrary. I think you are better off seeing a flop, unless you are planning to bet the flop when an A or K comes. If that's the case, then there's no problem with the raise.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (6 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif (3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets, UTG calls, SB calls.

should i do this??

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this almost every time. If you get raised, you may need to dump it, but that is again, player dependent. You would be surprised how many people will fold as good as TPTK in this spot. You have a very strong folding equity here and it will pay off later. In addition, you still have outs even if you are called. You will occasionally be drawing dead, but it is much less likely in a SH game. In addition, your image as a tough, aggressive player will be enhanced and you will become more difficult to read.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: (4.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets, UTG calls, SB calls.

too aggressive?

[/ QUOTE ]

This play is very player dependent, IMO. You have to believe that your opponent is thinking about what you have or might have especially as a function of position. If your opponent can't put you (because he doesn't think) on a 6 because you are in the BB, then this play is much less likely to succeed. You will be called by a weak player with any T, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, and raised by a weak player with a 6. You will be raised by a strong player holding any of these hands, and of course the flush. Only make this play against someone who can lay down a hand or if you plan to fold to the raise.

[ QUOTE ]
River: (7.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif (3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks.

should i bet the river with 3rd nut flush?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you haven't been raised yet, your hand is probably good, but you will usually only be called by a better flush. Unless they put you on a bluff because of the way the hand played, this is more of a check-call on the river, hoping to induce a bluff. Notice that when you check the river, you appear to be afraid of the flush, and someone else with a weak hand may bluff you in an attempt to steal the pot. If you bet out, you will not be called by these hands. The A/images/graemlins/spade.gif and Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif will definitely call, and occassionally some smaller flush, but more often than not, you will lose this river bet.

Cleveland Guy
09-30-2004, 10:05 AM
preflop - Just check. Your hand isn't That great, and your not going to get anyone out of the pot for 1 more bet.

Flop - Good bet, you have a flush draw and 2 overs.

Turn- I would check and see if you can't get the free card here. Your pre-flop raise really makes the 6 unlikely in your hand (why raise in the BB with a 6?). You'll get raised by someone with trips or the made flush, so I'd see if I could take the free card ( Is UTG passive?)

River - I like a bet. there are 2 cards that could beat you, and no one else has shown any agression yet. I think you will get called by weaker /images/graemlins/spade.gif, trip 6s, and posibly even someone with a Ten.

Peter Harris
09-30-2004, 06:48 PM
thanks for the responses so far.
I will post results tomorrow, still hoping for answers to the literature question - where did y'all look when moving to HU/SH play? Is it just a case of being a good poker player and self-adjusting/hand critiques, or is there a PF chart somewhere/a book that i could, at least to start, get to grips on the basics so deviation + bad play does not = pissing away my bankroll?

I was gobsmacked that people's VP$IP was only ~19-22%. Mine is 18% at full ring, i figured it'd be 25-30% at 6max!

Regards,
Pete Harris

Peter Harris
10-01-2004, 08:21 AM
SB shows [ 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif ] [2 pair, 6's and 4's]

Hero shows [ Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif ] [flush, king-jack high]

UTG shows [ T /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif ] [2 pair, T's and 6's]

Outcome: Hero wins 7.5BB.

Am i to assume there *is* no literature on shorthanded play? If so, i will lurk here and comment on hands till i think i got the gist of HUSH play!

Regards,
Pete Harris