PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice here

Pil Sung Do
09-30-2004, 08:44 AM
I was invited to play in a small tournement (one table) in my area.
I have no idea about the quality of the other players but I am sure that at least a few are going to be COMPLETELY clueless.

My questions are how should that affect my overall play and my starting hand selection?

I know less bluffing, but should I start playing suited connectors and such?

Also, this will be my first live tourney. Any advice on what to look for from the other players?

Thanks

Pil Sung Do
09-30-2004, 09:29 PM
nm

woodguy
09-30-2004, 10:03 PM
If you are a winning player online, play your regular game.
If they are truely clueless, then push your edges a little harder than normal.
Don't make the mistake of loosening up if your opponents are playing loose. Wait until you have an edge, then pounce.

Regards,
Woodguy

Pil Sung Do
10-01-2004, 07:29 AM
Thank you.

My biggest worry is that I'll push TPTK, and run into a crappy two pair (ie... AK on a K74 board vs K4).

unfrgvn
10-01-2004, 11:58 AM
I think I disagree with this advice. I played in a home NL tourny recently. You need to see how these guys play, but in the one I played almost no one raised pre-flop, except me. These guys were definatly calling stations and didn't respect a moderate pre-flop raise, though a large raise would get some respect. Imagine a tourny played under these rules:
You can limp in with any hand you want and not fear a raise.
You get to see every BB flop because no one ever raises you.
You get to raise when they limp to you. A small raise will build the pot and a big raise will get people to fold.

This is how my game played out and I won. Rather than push small edges I would play a lot of hands that can make a nut like hand and then punish them. I'm not advocating playing real loose, but Axs and Kxs and suited connectors should play well if these guys are real passive.

realbad101
10-01-2004, 12:14 PM
I disagree with the above disagreement. Play tight. Watch others limp away their stacks. Punish limpers with a 5xBB raise when u have a premium hand. Get them heads up. Abuse after the flop at will.

The only loosening up I would suggest would be to limp with low pp in early position since it could be a limp fest.

The dilemna with loose players...
Did my top pair run into a bs two pair? Only way to find out is to come over the top with your tp if you are last to act and if they call u are in trouble.

As far as tells - weak is strong, strong is weak. Look out for the relaxed player in his chair, acting bored player.