PDA

View Full Version : Another pot-limit hand

08-13-2001, 12:44 PM
OK, I'm on the button with two middle position callers to me with K9s. These two players will let me buy the pot if they miss the flop or don't hit it too strong. They might call one bet with a pair. I call. (we all have medium sized stacks to cover a decent sized pot)

Question 1: Would anyone raise here to increase the chances of buying the pot later? Would anyone fold?

4 of us see the flop of TJQ with two diamonds. I'm not too scared of AK because the players in would raise with it (except the blind). The blind checks, MP1 bets the pot, and MP2 calls. I raise the max, blind folds, MP1 and MP2 BOTH call. I'm deffinately thinking set, two-pair, or pair and diamond draw are out there.

Question 2: since the board is so coordinated and scary, would it be plausible to just call the flop bet and then if a non-scare card comes on the turn, to raise then? This is more of a limit play and don't know how it applies to pot-limit.

Turn is a T making the board TJQT with two diamonds. MP1 and MP2 check to me.

Question 3: How do you play out this hand? Not any bluffing has been done by either of these players so far, especially when there is decent money in the pot.

Results to follow. Thanks,

Jeff Gomberg

08-13-2001, 12:46 PM
Ok, I really thought that turn card beat me, so I just checked. The river was a complete blank. MP1 bet about 2/5 of the pot, MP2 folded, I called and he had what I put him on (TJs).

08-13-2001, 02:30 PM
Tough situation. I think I would bet here to protect my hand. It will make it very hard for K-9 or a flush draw to call.

If there was no flush draw I might check not fearing a free card that would beat me. With the flush draw, a check cold bering someone a free flush to beat me.

Obvoiusly if I am raised (or even called) I am done with this hand.

This is not an ideal situation, but routinely checking here will make it very difficult to get paid off when I do turn a full in the future. Besides there is a chance that you are up against Q-J, and a flush draw. If someone filled up with the 10, there is not much you can do about it now.

OTH, if the queen paired, I would probably check the hand down.

08-14-2001, 04:49 AM
I think you played this hand correctly on every street except maybe the river. If your opponent bet pot on the river you would clearly fold right? Your opponent who by your description doesn't seem a very bad player sense weakness here and therefor he "knows" you will fold to a pot sized riverbet. That's why he bets what he think a straight or another hand he beats (QJ,KT etc)will pay off on the river. Very seldom will a careful player bluff with a board like this especially after much action on the flop. Against this player I would fold on the river.