PDA

View Full Version : I'm the tighiest tighwad ever.

Sponger15SB
09-30-2004, 03:13 AM
Full ring $50 NL

VPIP 11.56

I have no idea what to do, any advice??

Also is there anyone who has a lower or similar VPIP and is making more than 7.34 BB/100

Sephus
09-30-2004, 03:19 AM
i'm close. i have 5k hands, 14.02 vpip, 8.05 BB/100. i'm starting to loosen up in LP now that i'm getting used to the game/players.

i suggest raising around 4 BBs when it's folded to you in the CO or button and autobetting the flop. seems to be more profitable than just folding to me. plus once in a while you hit a crazy straight or two pair and get to show it down, great for the 'ol image, for what little it's worth.

i'm getting cold starting cards though, im getting AA every 313 hands! wtf?

i think my long-term vpip will probably end up around 16 or so.

thatpfunk
09-30-2004, 03:21 AM
Why the change from 6-max?

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
09-30-2004, 03:26 AM
How many hands you got? I used to play extra tight, but after playing limit for a while, i think my game improved vastly. Now i limp around w/ a ton of hands. My vpip is around 20 now, and i seem to be doing much beter than i used to.

Sponger15SB
09-30-2004, 03:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why the change from 6-max?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can play 8 tables of full ring, it gets frickin crazy for me to play more than 4 of 6-max

Sponger15SB
09-30-2004, 03:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How many hands you got? I used to play extra tight, but after playing limit for a while, i think my game improved vastly. Now i limp around w/ a ton of hands. My vpip is around 20 now, and i seem to be doing much beter than i used to.

[/ QUOTE ]

18,000 hands (in my first 2 weeks ever playing full ring no-limit)

Sponger15SB
09-30-2004, 03:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i suggest raising around 4 BBs when it's folded to you in the CO or button and autobetting the flop. seems to be more profitable than just folding to me. plus once in a while you hit a crazy straight or two pair and get to show it down, great for the 'ol image, for what little it's worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

i might try that unless anyone has any objections?

[ QUOTE ]

i'm getting cold starting cards though, im getting AA every 313 hands! wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

ha! I've gotten AA 8x more than I should have.

The4thFilm
09-30-2004, 03:40 AM
15.23 and 14.7BB/100

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
09-30-2004, 03:40 AM
8BB/100 sounds high for 11VPIP. I think the looser you get (obviously to a certain point) coupled w/ the beter you play, the hihgher your WR goes.

Sponger15SB
09-30-2004, 03:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

give me an example of a bad hand and where you would limp with it...

also maybe i'm not cold calling enough? (not necessarily a bad thing though)

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
09-30-2004, 03:41 AM
How many hands you got? Im tired of people saying "yeah i make 9BB/100 at 5/10" but only have played 6k hands. Also, you play on party? That sounds more realistic at paradise.

Sponger15SB
09-30-2004, 03:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How many hands you got? Im tired of people saying "yeah i make 9BB/100 at 5/10" but only have played 6k hands. Also, you play on party? That sounds more realistic at paradise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I replied to one of the other posts that I've played 18,000 hands. (to state again 7.34BB/100)

However I started off with a bad downswing/breakeven streak....

for my last 10,713 hands I've made 12.9 BB/100 with a whopping 10.89 VPIP

I really have no clue where my true winrate lies

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
09-30-2004, 03:49 AM
I dont know how good you are, but when i was a ~13VPIP i made about 4.5BB/100. After i became much looser, i estimated i make anywhere from 6-10BB/100 (probly exactly 7 or so). I hate how long it takes for WR to become even close to accurate. In fact, when i went back from limit to NL, i had about 67k hands of NL in PT. In one day, i had a .5BB/100 change. Thats not very accurate at all!

jslag
09-30-2004, 04:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I replied to one of the other posts that I've played 18,000 hands. (to state again 7.34BB/100)

[/ QUOTE ]

What's wrong with 7.34BB/100? Seems like a good win rate to me.

I would try limping in late position with more suited connectors. You should also try to raise with them against weaker limpers.

When you have a big stack after playing awhile at a table, try calling people's min-raise and 3xBB raises with decent holdings, if you have position on them. You can pick off many AK/AQ/AJ/KQ bluffers.

Also, try chasing inside straight and/or flush draws when you are getting good implied odds or if you know your opponent is married to top pair.

Learn who the tighter, A-B-C poker players are and bluff them out of pots occasionally.

In general, I guess what I'm saying is be more observant of your opponents and loosen up in late position with suited connectors and broadway cards. And switch up your raises occasionally to throw people off guard.

Overall though, it appears your win rate is pretty good, IMO.

j.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
09-30-2004, 05:09 AM
Well, its not an accurate rate, but it does look like he know what hes doing. I often limp UTG w/ hands like 65s. In NL against bad players, youd be suprised how much you can make in these senerios...

jslag
09-30-2004, 05:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, its not an accurate rate, but it does look like he know what hes doing. I often limp UTG w/ hands like 65s. In NL against bad players, youd be suprised how much you can make in these senerios...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't do that often, but yes, it's good to do occasionally. Your hand is disguised to most after they've seen you play pretty tight for awhile and showdown some winners.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
09-30-2004, 05:26 AM
I suprise myself everyday witht the UTG limps i make at 100 and 200 NL and PL. Its almost routine for me, at most tables anyways.

GimmeDaWatch
09-30-2004, 09:19 AM
Just out of curisoity Sponger, have you noticed the play being significantly tighter at the full ring games than the 6-Max? This seems to be the case, in my experience, as the worse players seem to like the faster paced, looser games.
The only problem being that your stack gets eatin up by the blinds alot more quickly if youre not catching any cards.

cornell2005
09-30-2004, 09:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

limping 65s utg is not better to do vs bad players than good players.
you likely dont have odds even if everyone limps, but people will raise enough of the time and screw your odds up completely.
your implied odds are even hurt because your out of position.
further, its also not good to do in a 50BB game like party poker. the stacks arnt deep enough to begin with. several conditions have to be met to limp suited connectors profitably, and practially every single one fails here.

you limp hands like 65s utg but are only at 20% vpip? i think your missing alot of moves that would be much more profitable than this one

jslag
09-30-2004, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you limp hands like 65s utg but are only at 20% vpip? i think your missing alot of moves that would be much more profitable than this one

[/ QUOTE ]

What sort of moves? /images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm not saying limping 65s UTG is a good one either, but I can see it working if your table is tight/passive and you rarely try it.

Justin A
09-30-2004, 01:20 PM
Sponger,
Since you're playing eight tables at a time, I think you have the most profitable preflop strategy right now. If you start loosening up you might get too busy. I don't think you should loosen up.

I play four tables at a time and my VP$IP is about 17. If I moved up to eight tables I'd probably drop down to 12 or so. Also, I don't think my winrate would suffer much at all if I did tighten up considerably. Looking at PT, I'm making most of my money off big pairs and suited broadway anyway.

Justin A

Sponger15SB
09-30-2004, 01:47 PM
Good advice as usual justin, thank you. I'd still like to figure out how to get up to like 13 VPIP, I'll let you knows know if i do anything different.

You are right about getting too busy, sometimes I just glace at cards and fold cause I've got like 3 big hands at the same time or something, yesterday I accidentally folded QQ UTG, and I've done stuff like calling some hands instead of raising in late position and folding a few poker pairs because they just look low and i don't have time to checK (haha... ok maybe not, but still i felt silly)... it has been getting a little disheartening.

thatpfunk
09-30-2004, 02:54 PM
On pp I only play 6-max, but in a B&M in a full ring when I want to loosen up I am not interested in limping in large fields, instead I like calling raises.

Example (for the Party $50). If you hold unsuited connectors or suited one gappers, etc, it could be profitable to play these hands to a standard raise ($4) when it represents <5% of both your and villians stack (>$80). If the raise is for anymore, or the stacks are any smaller, I don't bother. However, tangling with a bigger stack, when most likely you play MUCH better postflop can be ridiculously profitable. Also, showing down strange two pairs, straights, etc in a raised pots does wonders for your image /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

But, you are playing 8-tables, a feat I cannot fathom. If one day you become bored with it, then perhaps you could incorporate this to loosen yourself up. Sounds like you're doing great anyways.

pfkaok
09-30-2004, 04:34 PM
Sponger, no wonder I've seen you so much on there, I'm also playin 8 on the Party 50's... I just got PT last weekend, so my WR isn't too accurate, only 5.1 BB so far, but its only through 5 k hands. When I figure my hourly rate from the last 3-4 weeks that I've been playing $50 NL, my hourly rate would fall in the 7-8 BB/100 range. However, VPIP is probably much more accurate for me, and I'm at 11.96... Must say, I'm amazed to find somebody out there tighter than me PF. I think along the same lines as Justin here, that playing 8 games we're probably playing it in a manner with maximum, or close to maximum WR, while at the same time minimizing variance. I've actually been trying to open up a little more in position lately though, so my VPIP from before I had PT was probably a little lower (who knows, maybe my WR is lower now b/c of that, guess I'll have to play for a while to find out).

Also, I'll fold certain margainal hands in postion that I might normally try to play if I happen to have 2-3 other big hands on other tables at the same time. How frustrating is it to get a disconnect then get back on and find 3 big hands with like 5-10 seconds left to act on each of them. I get WAY more pissed about that than about somebody putting a bad beat on me. Though, I definately think that once my PT database gets bigger and I have notes on more players then I want to open up a little more and try to take advantage of spots that I couldn't do normally.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
09-30-2004, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
several conditions have to be met to limp suited connectors profitably, and practially every single one fails here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true. I dont always limp UTG w/ 65s, and if you are new to NL, i dont highly recomend doing that. But I think the conditions for it to be profitable are around more than BK would think.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
09-30-2004, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good advice as usual justin, thank you. I'd still like to figure out how to get up to like 13 VPIP, I'll let you knows know if i do anything different.

You are right about getting too busy, sometimes I just glace at cards and fold cause I've got like 3 big hands at the same time or something, yesterday I accidentally folded QQ UTG, and I've done stuff like calling some hands instead of raising in late position and folding a few poker pairs because they just look low and i don't have time to checK (haha... ok maybe not, but still i felt silly)... it has been getting a little disheartening.

[/ QUOTE ]
I forgot youre at 8 tables. I wouldnt loosen up either, unless you lose a few tables. I used to play 6 tables, and all i played was pairs, AK AQ. You can cold call quite a bit w/ low-mid pairs in NL, as long as you have enough room to get a min of 10:1 on your call when you flop a set. Try not to make calls that are too close.

LBJ
09-30-2004, 07:21 PM
I know I sound like the ignorant newbie here, but what is VPIP. Sounds like a win-rate/percentage.....

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
09-30-2004, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know I sound like the ignorant newbie here, but what is VPIP. Sounds like a win-rate/percentage.....

[/ QUOTE ]
It stands for "Voluntarily put money in the pot (preflop)"
Get PT.

GimmeDaWatch
10-01-2004, 02:18 PM
You play unsuited connectors for a raise???? What exactly are you trying to flop? I know the stacks are deep, but even if you pick up a draw, the raiser often isnt gonna give you odds to draw, and how often do you flop 2 pair or better?

AncientPC
10-01-2004, 03:52 PM
Perhaps you can start limping in LP with stuff like Axs, suited connectors, or even 1 gap suited connectors if there are a lot of limpers ahead of you.

For the record I have 22% VPIP and 11.55 BB/100 over 22,000 hands. I usually 4 table, 2 shorthanded and 2 full ring. However for the past week and a half I've upped it to 2 shorthanded and 6 full ring.

thatpfunk
10-01-2004, 06:49 PM
As i said, at my B&M, without a problem. The game play is horrific, there is only one table to concentrate upon, and the stacks are genreally deep enough in which I think it is profitable if played well postflop.

IF the conditions were correct I think it could be done at party, but it is 1) unecessary 2) very difficult when multi-tabling