PDA

View Full Version : My first slow play in ages

08-06-2001, 02:22 PM
Sort of...

Blinds are 2-3-5, 7 handed game. I open in late position for 30. All fold to big blind who raises me 30 more. We both have about 1500 in front of us. I smelled a big ace and didn't want to get involved in a 50/50 race. I figured I'd just see the flop and go from there. This is the first time in about a year that I have played a big pair quietly before the flop.

The flop is Q96 two tone. He bets 50 and I call. Again, I decide to change it up and wait for the turn to see if I get scared of a flush card. I've got almost nothing committed yet anyway, and I didn't want to get in a race with AKs or something.

The turn is an offsuit J. Big blind bets 200. I raise 800. He moves all in. I call. He shows AA. I win when the river is a brick.

He was totally stunned when I showed top set. I myself cannot remember the last time I smooth-called with a big set on the flop. My preflop smooth call and my flop call made him put me on a big ace. How could I play QQ that way? What have you done with the real natedogg?

In this case, I still think I made a mistake by slowplaying the flop. He had AA and was willing to go for it on the turn. If the turn had come a flush card, we both would have froze up. I basically gave him a 25% to have me slow down with him and save his stack. So, even though I busted him, I should have busted him on the flop. Let this be a lesson to me. Slowplaying is RARELY if ever correct. Even when it turns out ok.

natedogg

08-06-2001, 03:45 PM
I agree. I think you should have taken his whole stack on the flop. He will almost certainly get it all in there. He will easily convince himself that you have AQ or a flush draw. A lot of cards could scarehim on the turn, including any flush card, K, Q, J, 10, 9. The 9 could trip you up, and the others make either trips, a big 2 pair (KQ, QJ etc . . ) or a straight possible. This is a total of about half the deck!!!

That means half the deck comes you get his stack, and the other half maybe just 1 more pot size bet. Do you think he would call a pot size re raise if one of the above cards came on the turn?

Anyway just a long way of saying I agree with you.

08-06-2001, 04:43 PM
So what is the right gearing? He bets $50 on the flop, and you make it, what -- $250? I haven't played much NL....

08-06-2001, 04:44 PM
I agree completely. There may be occasions, but those are far and few between. The other times you will allow opponents to catch up and beat your hand (even though the hand may seem invincible, it is amazing what the turn and river can bring). Or you will lose potential profit because a lot of people will call or raise anyway, even if you play it hard. I will give a second example of a slow play that I am kicking myself about. pocket 22 in the big blind. Flop K28, rainbow. I check, button bets, me and one other player call. Turn a 5. I check, checks through. I wanted to check raise here, oops. River 2. I figure that I might as well check here since I checked the turn. He has to bet now I figure. Checks through again. What a stupid play for me. Who knows how many bets they would have called from me, but I'm sure I would have made more than I did if I just played my hand properly. Checkraise the flop ok. Then bet, bet. These kinds of hands are sometimes more frustrating than the losses.

08-06-2001, 09:34 PM
I disagree. you have to slowplay sometimes. in NL you don't want to be slowplaying top 2 pair, but top set? even w/the flush draw, i take a chance here and try to bust my opponent like u did. IMO, you have to be a master to put someone on a big set. it takes time, but can be done. most players can't do it. he can't put u on the Q's unless he's really good.

i wouldn't of been that stunned, and if i knew u, would of folded my AA's. nice hand natedog

that is all,

dannyboy :o)

08-07-2001, 01:30 AM
just a thought, but maybe your opponents have good read on you? seems strange that it checked around twice after button bet flop AND other player called behind you. no reason that 5 shoulda scared anyone on the turn.

PG