PDA

View Full Version : Would You Make this Laydown?

08-03-2001, 05:11 PM
PLO ten and fifteen blinds. Six see the flop unraised of TT2. Suits don't matter. UTG bets the pot and button calls. BB checkraises the pot and only UTG call. BB a world class player. UTG an older fellow in his 70's who I have never seen before. He wondered in from Palm Springs for the weekend. Doesn't play real well, but isn't super bad either. He really hasn't gotten out of line and isn't overly aggressvie at least from what I have seen. A nine comes on the turn and BB bets around $500 and he is called. A Jack comes on the river. BB bets $800 and UTG calls and raises $1000 more. Raiser sought of fumbled his chips stacking them and initially wasn't real clear what his intentions were. BB asked him if he was calling and then UTG stated that he was raising. If you are the world class player what do you do in this spot? They each have another 2-3K left.

Bruce

08-03-2001, 07:21 PM
World class players just raise when they're ahead and fold when beaten. It would help to know what the BB had.... ;-)

08-03-2001, 10:41 PM
as Matt said, we don't know what he had, therefore how could we say???

but if you want me to dream up an answer, I'll tell you he had 4 big cards, one of which was a 10..he bet because he flopped trips (top) and has 3 good side cards, probably touching, thus on is a J..now he has a full

but he is such a nice guy, he does not want to bust the old man and just calls the 1000 and reraises only 1000.

08-04-2001, 12:28 AM
Yes, it would definately help if we knew the hand we were supposed to fold, call, or raise with. So instead we'll play guess the world-class players' hand.

A ten with big cards is definately a possibilitly since he likely has the best hand on the flop plus a nice draw for a big boat.

On the other hand...he check-raised the flop. The flop only had 1 low card, so he wasn't trying to build a pot with a monster high that he was likely to split. Maybe his hand isn't that strong and he wants to win it right there. Possibly 22?

PG

08-04-2001, 01:21 AM
Sorry, it would help if I told you what the big blind had. He flopped a full house with T2. The other cards are insignificant.

Bruce

08-05-2001, 06:16 AM
Well,

IMO, the world class player made a bad river bet. Third nut full, and he bets 800 into a pot of about 1600? I think a check-and-see-what-UTG-does is in order. He called the 500 bet on the turn with something....

Adam.

08-05-2001, 03:07 PM
Now that you've said what the BB had, it is clear that he had to fold. The raise on the river meant that the other player has filled up. There is no way that a player of the kind you describe would raise without TJ in his hand. Virtually any other kind of player would also only raise with TJ because of the danger that the BB had a J.

Actually, it was pretty obvious that the BB should fold even before you said what his hand was. For one thing, your post was entitled "Would You Make this Laydown", and the last action you describe was by the other player. Also, if the BB had JT or JJ his action would be completely clear. Moreover, it doesn't really matter if he has 22, T2, T9 or AT (the other main possibilities), since he had to fold all of them when raised. It is obvious that the other player called along with a T and three overcards to the 2, and hit the J.

I think one of the other posters in reply said that the BB made a mistake betting the river, but I don't agree. If you've got the discipline and self-belief that you can read the opponent and make a good laydown if necessary, it is frequently right (i.e. profitable) to bet an amount that might get called by a dry T but to fold if raised.

Oh no!! Not again!