PDA

View Full Version : KK, how to protect against draws

_Kevin_
09-30-2004, 12:22 AM
Did I play this correct? Is there anyway I could have done better to try and protect against draws (I was worried about both the straight and flush draws after the flop)? BB is a fairly tight player. UTG+1 is loose/passive. I have never played against the button and he had only been at the table for a short time so I didn't have any read on him. Is calling the river the right play or is folding acceptable (based on my read of the BB)? I've been calling these based on multiple considerations: 1, the pot is fairly big, 2, I might (althought I seriously doubt BB would have bet with less than 2 pair) have the best hand, 3, I don't want people bluffing at me everytime a scare card comes.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO folds, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Button folds, BB calls.

River: (10.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB

Gatts
09-30-2004, 12:25 AM
I don't think there's a polite way to say this, but you have a [censored] straight. Second nuts, no less.

_Kevin_
09-30-2004, 12:33 AM
I realize that. My read on BB is that he would only have called the flop and turn bets with an A or K high flush or an AK straight draw (he would have bet the KT straight had he made it on the flop). I would have liked to have gotten him to fold earlier (and that is really what I'm asking). When he bet the turn I was 99% sure he had AK (which he did) and really considering folding even with the hand I had.

PuertoKid
09-30-2004, 12:33 AM
PP .5/1? I would not fold. I would call. Would have played it same as you.

I have no idea what you're asking about protecting your hand. You could not have made these people fold.

zram21
09-30-2004, 12:34 AM
The only hand you are behind here is AK. You have to raise this river. You played the hand fine up until that point.

MCS
09-30-2004, 12:36 AM
Your original post sounded like you didn't realize you made a straight, but you say you did, so whatever.

There was no way to make the BB fold. He had two overcards with a gutshot draw and there was a ton of money in the pot. He probably won't fold no matter what you do.

Preflop: Wow. Lots of cold calling. Money for you.

Flop: I like the bet, because you probably have the best hand and you may get somebody to raise a draw. It looks like a lot of people are drawing, which is expected with the suited QJ, and which is good for you.

Turn: So, yeah, I feel basically the same now as I did before. You could be behind KT, but since nobody raised, you're probably not.

River: Well, now you're probably splitting the pot. Obviously, you shouldn't fold, so the decision is whether to call or raise. You're only behind AK, and I think BB is more likely to have two pair than AK. I would call based on the idea that we're probably no better than splitting with the BB, so we might as well try to get some money out of UTG+1. If you just call, there's the chance you'll get the overcall from the loose-passive UTG+1 if UTG+1 has two pair or something. A raise probably knocks out UTG+1, and you're probably not geting 3-bet by the tight BB unless he has at least a K for the split. So I don't think raising is likely to make you any more money, and it exposes you to a 3-bet from AK, which is bad times for you.

zram21
09-30-2004, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I realize that. My read on BB is that he would only have called the flop and turn bets with an A or K high flush or an AK straight draw (he would have bet the KT straight had he made it on the flop). I would have liked to have gotten him to fold earlier (and that is really what I'm asking). When he bet the turn I was 99% sure he had AK (which he did) and really considering folding even with the hand I had.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are letting the fact that he had AK this time skew your view of this. The range of hands you say you had him on is way too small. There is no reason to think he would only call with A or K high flush draw. Most any player would have (and should have) been calling with any flush draw. He also could have very easily just had a K or even an 8.

Folding this hand for one more bet on the river would have been a disaster. It is unfortunate he had the one hand that beat you, but that doesn't mean calling here was a bad pay. As I said I would have raised that river card.

As for getting them to fold if he had either the gut shot or the flush draw he was correct to call on every street. The only way you could have protected your hand from him would have been if someone would have raised behind you.

Sarge85
09-30-2004, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I realize that. My read on BB is that he would only have called the flop and turn bets with an A or K high flush or an AK straight draw

[/ QUOTE ]

My friend - the BB would have called the flop with X2o.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Chris Daddy Cool
09-30-2004, 01:32 AM
uh... you have such detailed notes on one specific player where he just called all the way through and you KNOW he has AK?

wow. can you teach me how to read online players like that?

Fiddler
09-30-2004, 06:17 AM
I would expect him to 3-bet preflop with AK and he would have raised the flop with a flush draw. So I think you are good (or split) on the river or he is a very passive player.

kiemo
09-30-2004, 11:32 AM
I think your read on the player was severly affected by the outcome of the hand as one can easily look back and say 'I knew thats what he had', once you see his cards.

However if you were so confident in your read during the hand then you shouldve folded the river.

wayabvpar
09-30-2004, 02:18 PM
Folding the river with the 2nd nut hand would be criminal for 1 bet. I would likely play Kx /images/graemlins/spade.gif exactly the way he played his AK (which I probably would have 3-bet preflop for extra fun and excitement).