PDA

View Full Version : AQ - Shoulda bet the river?

JoshuaD
09-29-2004, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Bet 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: JoshuaD is BB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">JoshuaD 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls, CO calls, SB calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, JoshuaD checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB folds, JoshuaD calls, MP2 folds.

Turn: (7.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
JoshuaD checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, JoshuaD calls.

River: (9.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
JoshuaD checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 9.50 BB, between JoshuaD and CO.</font>

wuwei
09-29-2004, 10:50 PM
Yes, bet the river. But before we get to that... AQo isn't in my range of 3-bet hands preflop. If it's a typical micro limit table, I'll just call from the big blind.

On the flop, I would raise here after the CO bets. You want to try to force out the other preflop raiser and get things heads up. It's a fairly big pot, play to win it. You also want to buy yourself a free look at the river if the turn doesn't improve things. The CO could be betting anything... a flush draw, a straight draw, a pair of 7s, etc.

Once you get to the river, you really should bet. CO knows you 3-bet pf and have been calling ever since. It's very easy to put you on overcards.

phixxx
09-29-2004, 11:28 PM
The three-bet is iffy, in HPFAP, S+M explains that when you raise with high unsuited cards into alot of players, they're gaining implied odds from you (something along those lines). It's also unlikely that you're going to knock anyone else out, so you might as well add some deception and call.

JoshuaD
09-30-2004, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On the flop, I would raise here after the CO bets. You want to try to force out the other preflop raiser and get things heads up. It's a fairly big pot, play to win it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone else agreee with this?

MCS
09-30-2004, 12:44 AM
Yes, I agree with it. You're not going to fold with two million dollars in there, so raise to clean up your overcard outs. This is a perfect spot to knock people out of a big pot.

Why did you check the river? Were you trying to checkraise? You have to think your hand is best here, and that CO will call with a lower pair in a pot this big.

JoshuaD
09-30-2004, 01:07 AM
Trying to check-raise. Right after I checked I realized I shoulda bet, wanted to see what everyone else here thought.

MCS
09-30-2004, 01:11 AM
I don't hate your idea of a checkraise. I do think he's unlikely to bet, because people are scared of aces, and you've also called him down thus far, so he knows he probably can't bluff you out. All this means he's probably just checking behind. So that's why I think betting is better.

I just wanted to make sure you were thinking checkraise, as opposed to check-call /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Daddy Cool
09-30-2004, 01:28 AM
your action is very odd.

you 3-bet preflop and then check/called the flop?

its not *that* bad to do a check and call and see approach, but to increase your chances of winning this pot you should either lead this pot or (which I would prefer) checkraising hte flop.

yea, bet the river.