PDA

View Full Version : What are the odds of me...

FrankLu99
09-29-2004, 09:43 PM
getting a backer for a live limit tournament that costs $100 + juice?

I have almost zero live tournament experience (any I do have really doesnt count). I am about average at poker.
Of course my backer does not need to back me the full buyin and juice. 75% of the cost is good enough for me. (I dont feel like spending more than $30 or so on a tournament I will probably screw up in and lose.

I am mostly a limit player so I dont want to dabble in NL until I get to about decent in NL

yataaaaaaaaah
My estimate of my odds....1/10,000

captZEEbo1
09-29-2004, 10:27 PM
the odds are probably around 0:10000 Nobody's just gonna give someone that says they've never played tournaments before 70 dollars to play in a tournament. Anyone with that much money to burn (at this forum, at least) is probably good enough to play themselves.

If you aren't good at NL, why don't you practice at a lower buyin first? People that play the $100 level usually are pretty decent.

The4thFilm
09-29-2004, 10:46 PM
Stick to party 25NL if you can't afford a $100 tournament.

FrankLu99
09-30-2004, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Stick to party 25NL if you can't afford a $100 tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not that I cant afford. Its just that I think its negative EV (moneywise) so if I did want to play I would want to risk as little of my money as possible. Thanks

FrankLu99
09-30-2004, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

If you aren't good at NL, why don't you practice at a lower buyin first? People that play the $100 level usually are pretty decent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I plan on playing live limit tournies b4 I go to NL. Makes sense no? since low buyin limit tournies may require less skill than nl.

Stoneii
09-30-2004, 08:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Its not that I cant afford. Its just that I think its negative EV (moneywise) so if I did want to play I would want to risk as little of my money as possible. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Nearly had me there but the -EV (moneywise!) bit did make me think that wee bit harder /images/graemlins/confused.gif.

I think your sales pitch needs a little buffing /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

G'Luck

stoneii

mackthefork
09-30-2004, 08:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think your sales pitch needs a little buffing .
/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that.

Regards Mack

felson
09-30-2004, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
since low buyin limit tournies may require less skill than nl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I'm not sure that's true, especially when NL becomes a preflop allin-fest. But I'm no tourney expert, or poker expert for that matter.

Anyway, 9,999-to-1 sounds good to me. I bet $1 that you will find a backer this year.