PDA

View Full Version : Why Am I Such an Idiot?

ThorGoT
09-29-2004, 08:39 PM
This question has been asked many times before, in various formulations. Short and sweet, I lost $1,000 over about four or five months playing various games (limit, no limit, and finally sit-&-gos); put in another $500; won $2,500 in a week playing $50+5s and $100+9s, and was up another $1,000 the next week; and am now at about, oh, say, $120. Give or take $10. I should note that it was a rather long, slow decline -- a little less than two months. Now, I'm not hurting for money -- but $3,500? That's a trip to New Zealand right there! What was I *thinking*?!? (Well, on one hand I was thinking "KK" postflop, but I know my problem there). Now, one or more of you probably has a chunk of that, so you might not want to offer advice. /images/graemlins/smile.gif And to think that I was once upset that I lost my first $50 deposit and had to redeposit . . . .

Now, I think I know why, or at least how, I am such an idiot. I either play a game I can't beat ($200+15) or multi-table games I can't play stupidly and win ($50+5 and up) but play them stupidly. So that's easy enough. But what to do about it? Single tabling a $50+5 isn't going to work, I don't think -- not enough action and excitement. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I know, I know, I'm destined to lose. At least not unless I could somehow commit to playing every game exactly right . . . but then the money would just grow too slowly! (BTW, I recognize that as the money is currently going in the opposite direction of growth, this probably seems like a misplaced lament). Or I could multi-table $10+1s. I will note that I had a 100% ITM and a 175% or so ROI multi-tabling 4 10+1s. And if I can't extrapolate from 4 games, what can I do? (Note: In the next four I had a negative ROI. So there.)

Seriously, though, I'd be interested in hearing recommendations. Perhaps I had a very healthy swing at the 50s and 100s and am really a losing player. Well, actually, I clearly am "really" a losing player -- but I think I can play better. If you think this is delusional, feel free to chime in. Otherwise, is the solution to try to bear down on a single table and psych myself into thinking that the money matters? Or is it to multi-table at a lower level? The problem is I really want the money back -- not the $1500, but the $3500 (and more). And I want it now! If you have no sympathy, that's perfectly understandable. But help me anyway!

To anticipate possible responses: no, I don't have a lot of hand histories to share (well, you can look at my KK on a three-spade flop -- that's an extreme example); yes, I know that if you want help you need to share hand histories; no, I don't use pokertracker, but often request tournament summaries (would be interested to know if others find pokertracker particularly useful for sit-&-gos); yes, I sometimes review the summaries; yes, I've read a number of books (HEPFAP, TPFAP, Super/System, Rueben & Ciaffone (sps?), the Cloutier book); no, I wasn't playing under the influence all the time; no, I'm not playing above my bankroll (well, at least it's not money I can't afford to lose); yes, my basic problem is that I am multi-tabling games that are too high to play stupidly ($50+5 and up) and nonetheless playing them stupidly or playing games I can't beat ($200+15); yes, I'm probably in stage 2 of Ray Zee's poker player life, thinking I deserve to win because of my intrinsic moral worth (see: KK hand) or at least high self-opinion and playing as such; yes, my problem in part is that I lack patience; yes, part of the problem is that I just don't fully understand odds -- so that I think I know that calling all-in with a flush draw, two overcards, and a gutshot straight draw is a mistake against TPTK, when in fact it's a favored hand (not saying that makes it right, just saying I did not know the odds); yes, I have a skewed view of reality, as since certain 2+2 posters make $250K a year from sit&gos, I consider myself equally deserving of the same.

Oh, and I agree, to the extent that I value $3500 as a trip to New Zealand, my problems are incredibly minor in the grand scheme of things. But help me get back there anyway! I must canoe the Wanganui!

codewarrior
09-29-2004, 08:48 PM
I only got through the 1st paragraph.

Bankroll management.

ilya
09-29-2004, 09:00 PM
I recommend playing one table at a time and staring *really hard* at your opponent's nicks while they are "thinking." You gradually learn to pick up the brain patterns they unwittingly beam over the interweb.
Seriously, though...I dare not give any broad tactical advice as I am but a struggling $20s player, but I do think playing one, or at most two, tables at once is a good idea if you are dropping dough faster than a drunken pizza master. Yes, it can be a monumental test of patience. But if you can force yourself into a groove, then constantly taking notes & trying to read your opponents and anticipate their actions while you sit and wait for a hand can be quite edutational. imo.

willie
09-29-2004, 09:03 PM
just playin over your head, that's all

me?

i have a huge variance, i'm about to get broke right now, so i'll be pouring through hand histories over the next few weeks brooding over what the heck i am doing wrong.

as well as i play live, online i just seem to have huuuge swings, and i feel that i play the same all the time, but something has to be amiss.

Eder
09-29-2004, 09:14 PM
Well, I think you should go to New Zealand....put it on your visa card...when you get back play low buy in SnG's for fun..(one at a time)...if you tilt again go to Bahamas...If you dont need the $$ but it bothers you that you lose it then just say NO...jmo

codewarrior
09-29-2004, 09:17 PM
And if you get broke, move to SriLanka and become a beachcomber. Sit on the beach drinking whiskey sours all day and tell passers-by to f'-off.

Oh, wait - that's my dream...

Eder
09-29-2004, 09:28 PM
Its all good except Sri Lanka...and you left out the part about the Cuban cigars...

LinusKS
09-29-2004, 11:45 PM
Sounds like to me you've already hit the nail on the head: patience. If the money's not important to you (or if you want to win it all back immediately), it's going to be hard for you to be patient. Especially if you like action (and who doesn't?).

It's fine, btw, to play poker for fun, if you can afford it.

Unfortunately, there's an inverse relationtionship between fun and patience.

The only tip I can offer you is to maybe do other stuff while you're playing. Watch TV, or read 2+2, or surf the net.

That's not as good as watching closely, but it's better than gambling out of boredom.

bismillahno
09-30-2004, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Oh, and I agree, to the extent that I value $3500 as a trip to New Zealand, my problems are incredibly minor in the grand scheme of things. But help me get back there anyway! I must canoe the Wanganui!

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta admire your choice of destinations, but why the wanganui? Plenty of prettier parts of the country further south /images/graemlins/grin.gif. Only live poker games are in the south island too...

chill888
09-30-2004, 04:04 AM
There was lots of good advice in this thread. I'd get a wife with "Godess" in her name, become a (canoeing) beachcomber, who talks to himslef while smoking cigars and tells the tourists to [censored] off.

You can't go wrong with that strategy.

Separately:
You give about 12 reasons yourself why you are not a winning player. But it mainly seems to focus on lack of discipline. You may be that classic player that thinks he loses due to idiots and bad luck when it's really cause he has so many leaks in his game. Maybe multitable at $30s so there's enough action for you but the games are a bit softer. Or sit at my table and vent when I flop a flush and crack your kings.

When losses start to grow, smart players drop down levels - whereas fish go to higher levels in a desperate and usually doomed search for their former cash.

gl

parappa
09-30-2004, 07:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The problem is I really want the money back -- not the $1500, but the $3500 (and more). And I want it now! If you have no sympathy, that's perfectly understandable. But help me anyway!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not getting it back. You'll have to come to grips with it. I have your situation going on in miniature. I've been a successful 10+1 player. I built up from $30 to $1500, and I cashed out all the money so that Mrs. Parappa and I could go to Japan. I left $330 (30*11) in the account and decided I'd go back to work on the railpasses that we wanted.

Then I hit a bad streak, and lost about $150. I simply can't reload from other money, and was faced within 2 days of being on top of the world with simply not being able to play if my bad streak continued. There was only one thing for it (and only one thing for you, imo)---swallow the pride and drop to a sustainable level. My h.o. is that 30 buy-ins is necessary, so for me at $180ish that meant a drop to the $5.50s. It might mean a drop for you to the $50s or whatever, but you simply can't keep overplaying your budget and hoping to avoid getting unlucky.

The worst thing is that I didn't immediately start winning at the $5s, either. For a week and a half I played about 75 wild games against awful, terrible players. My 5% ROI was generating like 25 cents per tournament. I was going absolutely bananas for a while, then got bored. Somehow getting bored turned it around.

I'm still bored, but my roll is in the high $200s now and I'm hoping that I'll be back up to the 10s in another few days. But it really, really sucks when you realize that you're not getting the money back. I'm committed to the slow build and am going to be much more circumspect about draining the money.

(I'd recommend you go to New Zealand either way, if you can afford it, though. Life's short--there'll always be time for poker)

ethan
09-30-2004, 08:35 AM
Yup. Been going through similar bankroll strains, and parappa has the right idea. Drop down, suck it up, and rebuild the bankroll. I stopped playing the $20+2 and went to the $NL25 tables for awhile, and recovered enough to get back to the $20+2 SNGs and to the $50NL. Within a week or two of steady play, I'm expecting to be at the $100NL and within a month or so to be back at $30+3.

(I make money slightly faster at the ring games right now, but I want to pull together my skill at the the tournaments because they offer better ROI once I can play the higher limits.)

Best of luck both,
--Ethan

Grivan
09-30-2004, 01:12 PM
You should just play in the $100+9 SNGs at party whenever you get the chance. If you are a winning player make sure to bring money in from elsewhere and ride it out until you start winning. I hear the tables with some guy named Grivan sitting in the 8 seat are easy to beat. You should be looking to sit in these games at every opportunity you get. Easy Money!

ThorGoT
09-30-2004, 06:37 PM
Hey, thanks to all for their comments. Some more thank-able than others. I agree that the real problem is lack of patience, and that what I need is something to distract me and keep me from playing like an idiot during the first few rounds. Oh, and bismillahno -- I agree that the South Island is way prettier (admittedly, not ever having seen the Whanganui) -- I spent two weeks travelling around the South Island in fall 2001 (not much, I know), and then another two weeks last year on the Able Tasman and Queen Charlotte tracks (not all two weeks, obviously). Would plan to spend most of my time on the South Island the next time I go, too, but I really think a multi-day canoe trip would be a lot of fun. Thanks for the shout out from around the world!