PDA

View Full Version : Tough decision - What would a Pooh bah do? Sklansky? Help!

shawn_p
09-29-2004, 06:19 PM
This situation came up in the 2nd round after the rebuy period ended. I'm top 40 in chips and the action at my table has slowed down considerably. I've seen UTG+1 make some moves like this w/ small pairs and broadway cards. What's my move here? I hate laying this hand down at this point in the tourney especially because I've got this guy covered. Can I just call? I'm pretty sure this guy calls if I push (and he did), he was pot committed, I didn't realize this at the time and made my default play w/ kings.

I really need help w/ this one hands like this have really been holding me back in these tourneys. What should I be thinking about w/ KK,QQ,AKs or AKo in this spot? Any kind of quick "checklist" or thought process I can use for next time would be greatly appreciated.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (9 handed)

MP3 (t15460)
CO (t11955)
Button (t9685)
Hero (t12730)
BB (t14145)
UTG (t8465)
UTG+1 (t8135)
MP1 (t10565)
MP2 (t3800)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls t150, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t300</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t1200</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t5100</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t12730</font>, UTG+1 calls t3035 (All-In).

Flop: (t21165) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t21165) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t21165) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t21165

Roman
09-29-2004, 06:28 PM
umm its not really tough...

shawn_p
09-29-2004, 06:45 PM
These type of hands have been killing my chances in these things, I'm just wondering what the optimal play is in a tournament. I'm still new to MTT online, I've only played ~30 and have had some success when I don't dump a lot of chips in the early/mid levels.

Option 1: Call planning to check and fold if I don't hit a king or a draw.

Option 2: Fold to the reraise.

Option 3: Reraise all-in.

Which play yields the highest EV in terms of tournament strategy?

donny5k
09-29-2004, 07:06 PM
Reraise allin...

Malcom Reynolds
09-29-2004, 07:10 PM
It isn't even a close decision.

Try to get all in with KK.

shawn_p
09-29-2004, 07:22 PM
Suppose I have no read on this player. What to do now? Still get 'em in there? I play a big stack well which is why I like to preserve chips. Blind steals are a piece of cake at the buyin level I play.

How do I make more final tables? What the best play in terms of EV are the types of responses I'm interested in. I appreciate the replies, but I'm not getting anything I don't already know or do.

SossMan
09-29-2004, 07:45 PM
pooh bah say: move all in

JARID
09-29-2004, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but I'm not getting anything I don't already know or do.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you're not giving us a hand to tell you anything you don't know or do. If your biggest problem is getting all your chips in pf with KK(which I doubt) then you don't really have much to worry about.
If it was JJ or AK then that would be different.

-Jarid

fnord_too
09-29-2004, 07:56 PM
I'm no pooh-bah, but I am happy to get all in here. I need an incredible read that the guy has aces before I don't want to get all in, but even then I probably get all in. If this is an on line tourney, you will get shown underpairs (some pretty damn low), AK-A9, KQ-KJ a lot, and sometimes even worse. You will also get shown AA some, but you just take your lumps when that happens. I haven't played in live tournies, so maybe they are different.

shawn_p
09-29-2004, 08:15 PM
Thanks for all the input. I guess I've just been stewing over this one because I've had such bad luck recently making what I think is the correct play.

Anybody know any links to good threads covering AKs/AKo in this kind of sitution. Should I even be worried about getting all my money in w/ these hands anyway?

uw_madtown
09-29-2004, 08:25 PM
Madtown ranks this post a 8.5 -- would be better if you were asking this about AA.

Malcom Reynolds
09-29-2004, 08:52 PM
No read, push push push.

I can only see folding is if you are 110% sure that he has aces. 100% sure isn't good enough. You need clear and specific reasons to believe that he has AA before you think of mucking here. And even then I usually push because he may not have it.

The win % of KK vs. every other hand is so high, 70-80% range. The only hand that has a chance is AA which will win 80% of the time over KK.

The only other time would be with a healthy chip size near the bubble of a satellite, you may want to keep folding to coast in.