PDA

View Full Version : Must raise at least amount of previous bet?

TenPercenter
09-29-2004, 05:22 PM
Example: The bet comes to you on the turn, and is $100. In your home game, are you allowed to raise to $150 (1st poll choice) or must you bet at least $200 if you choose to raise (2nd poll choice)?

What do you guys do in your home games? Would you enforce the rule? Why? Why not?

Ten

DimensionPresident
09-29-2004, 05:47 PM
Some of the games I play don't seem to enforce this rule and it bothers me.

If I call a raise, and someone after me decides they want to raise "50 more" on a 500 dollar bet (you'd be surprised how often it is for reasons like they wanted to get rid of their last two green chips, or they accidently put in too much and rather than take it out, they raise it), well, this gives the initial raiser the chance to re-raise or go all in possibly interpreting that my call shows that I am on a draw.

I don't think that's fair because if the raiser placed a proper 1000 bet, then the original bettor may be more inclined to just call rather than raise again sensing strength in that re-raise, rather than some weak ass 50 on top of 500 raise.

I seem to recall this only taking place at really casual home games though.

Proper betting minimums in NL HE are amount of big blind pre flop, big bind post flop, and is it 2X big blind for turn and river?

Typical_Cat
09-29-2004, 05:49 PM
At the home game I play in most often, the "double bet" raise rule is not enforced. If someone bets $3, it is very common for someone to say "make it $5." Just laziness in my opinion, you just throw out 1 $5 chip instead of several to make it $6. I mostly see this from the weaker, less experienced players. The players who take the game seriously usually at least double the previous bet if they are going to raise.

If it were up to me, we would always enforce the "double bet" raise rule (except when someone is going all in and they don't have enough to double). Why? Too often I've seen someone bet $7 (for example) with a strong hand. Then we get the foolish, make it $10. Now, when it comes back to the $7 bettor, the raise has "opened the floodgates" as I like to say for a re-raise. Not that they couldn't re-raise if the raise were double, but you see how things start to get out of hand very quickly.

meep_42
09-29-2004, 06:05 PM
To be more precise, you must re-raise be the amount raised before, at a minimum. On an initial raise, this is easy, the amount of the bet, on a re-raise, it gets trickier.

(Bet is $2, raised to $5, the minimum re-raise is ($5+($5-$2))=$8.

-d

Ghazban
09-29-2004, 06:08 PM
Also, if someone goes all-in for less than the minimum reraise, that does NOT reopen the betting for the original raiser to reraise again-- he can only call.

trevor
09-29-2004, 08:39 PM
Ugh, I don't get the thinking behind this. If someone wants to raise the min here it's $10 to go: plain and simple. Don't worry what the raise itself will be. In terms of "x to go" seems more simplistic.

LetsRock
09-30-2004, 12:17 AM
I've never heard of a NL or PL game that allowed rasies to be any less then the previous bet or raise (With the exception of an all-in. As far as I know, it's a poker "rule". It certainly is a standard if not a "rule".

I'd bet it has something to do with collusion protection, but I don't "know" that.

Example: Player A and Player F are working together. Player A bets 100, players B, C and E call. Player F raises 25. This lets Player A come back over the top and put serious pressure on B, C and E without F having to put much in the pot to give A another opening.

Full bets don't stop this type of action, but at least F has to put enough money in the pot to open the betting again.

It may have nothing to do with that, but it seems like a logical origin of thie "rule".

jdl22
09-30-2004, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Proper betting minimums in NL HE are amount of big blind pre flop, big bind post flop, and is it 2X big blind for turn and river?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's simply the bb on all 4 betting rounds.

mistrpug
09-30-2004, 08:43 AM
I tried to enforce the proper raise rule and everyone else was against it because they are retarded.

There's this one guy who will try his hardest to only use one chip to bet every time. If the BB is $.20, he will ALWAYS raise to $.25 just so he can use one chip. Nothing annoys me more than when there are 4-5 limpers, and he does that on the button. Then all the limpers have to put in their $.05 one at a time.

ohgeetee
09-30-2004, 10:07 AM
You should use this to your advantage and raise ammounts that cause him to eitehr fold due to his OCD or make a larger raise than he should to keep things in line.

The small raises also let people cap the betting for far too cheaply.

meep_42
09-30-2004, 11:52 AM
Our favorite way to deal with that is to have someone raise a ton due to that nickel raise. That usually pisses off the anal bastards.

-d

TabascoJRC
09-30-2004, 02:15 PM
Okay I don't know the rules, but this is how I play,
If BB is $50 that's what you have to raise
So #2 can raise $200 then #3 could raise again $50, but no less.
so they would each be $300 into the pot.
Thats my understanding.