PDA

View Full Version : How often does this situation take place?

rewt75
09-29-2004, 05:09 PM
Last night I was playing .25/.50 on pokerroom.com. FYI, I'm a noob - only been playing for about a month or so but have read SSHE and feel like I have a somewhat decent handle on what I'm doing.

I joined a table that had about 8 people playing it(currently had two other tables going). There were two guys at the table sitting next to each other each with well over $20K bankrolls. From the two hands I saw immediately after sitting in, they were capping every single street regardless of the cards they had and were being obnoxious in the chat window. I realized this was probably not a table I wanted to be sitting at, but as soon as I decide to bail, I get dealt pocket aces. They might as well have put glue on my seat.

So here we go...capped preflop, the flop looked good and was capped, as was the turn and then I rivered an ace. The pot was over $30 at this point, no obvious hand that would beat me(not that I would've been able to tell since they were capping regardless of their cards), and one of the guys was doing his usual "let the timer run down to the last second before capping the river all while talking smack" move and it was all I could do not to type "just cap it and give me your money, a-holes." He turned over a jack-ten offsuit for a straight and then he and his buddy berated me over and over talking about how much of an idiot I am and all sorts of messages about tilt.

Before I can click Sit Out, I'm dealt Ace Jack suited. I'm unable to leave the table again. So I decide to take the capped pre-flop and see the flop. I get an ace on an uncoordinated board, so I stay in and get a Jack on the turn. So I'm unable to get away from this hand again and one of the guys rivered a backdoor flush. They went nuts on me with the verbal lashings as expected, and I'm out $12 and leave the table. In the back of my mind I don't feel too bad because I at least had two solid shots at turning $6 into over $30.

So I'm not complaining about the beats, but rather wondering how often you see people essentially raiding a micro-limit table with huge bank rolls and blindly capping every street. Like I said, I've only been playing a month so this may be a regular occurrence for all I know.

digdeep
09-29-2004, 05:14 PM
I've never seen it, but I play at PP and I play.5/1 and 1/2, not .25/.50? Sounds frustrating though.

Welcome to the forum.

davelin
09-29-2004, 05:15 PM
I'm only seen one person with a bankroll of over $20K once (heck even over $500). But not the behavior you're talking about.

prayformojo
09-29-2004, 05:15 PM
I've never seen this done so blatantly, but I started at .5/1. If you see these guys again please please please please send them to my 2/4 table.

Don't let trash talk get you down. Turn off chat if you have to. But if you have the bankroll to cover the huge variance that a table like this will cause, you should play it.

wabe
09-29-2004, 06:19 PM
You can sleep soundly at night knowing that you don't need to compensate for your inadequacies by pushing around and mocking people on a micro-limit poker table.

Did you ask them if .50/1.00 was too tough for them?

kurosh
09-29-2004, 06:30 PM
Out of curiousity... if they were seated at opposite ends of the table and were reraising each other, what would the chances be that they'd end up winning if they were colluding???

DEvice
09-29-2004, 06:40 PM
Maybe they were trying the "nut bar" drill. Heh

Being an occasional .25/.50 player (I usualy stick to .50/$1) I rarely run into such people but raising maniacs you just need to wait it out and make sure you have enough bankroll to carry through the wild swings.

Don't let the chat bother you, if you can turn it off--do it or ignore them. Just maintain discipline and play your game, if you feel uncomfortable in a hand with an awkward/scary board post-flop with those guys raising it up don't hesitate to check down and call to protect your self.

rewt75
09-29-2004, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Welcome to the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you.

They were seated right next to each other and honestly I didn't think collusion was even a factor because they didn't seem to care what cards they had. They struck me as a couple of loaded younger guys simply looking to push some microlimit players around. Either way, I didn't say anything to them because that would've given them some satisfaction.

I knocked it down to just two tables after that so I could regain some focus. Those two hands were a bit of a rush.