PDA

View Full Version : GOOG

Anadrol 50
09-29-2004, 04:34 PM
At what point will shorting this overvalued stock be profitable ??

adios
09-29-2004, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not now?

Anadrol 50
09-29-2004, 09:30 PM
because, it goes up 3 everyday...

There has got to be a point, where it will slow down...I am thinking when msn comes out with their new se.

adios
09-30-2004, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you should go long on it /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Honestly if anyone could tell you with any degree of certainty, they wouldn't tell you.

blendedsuit
10-05-2004, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you should go long on it /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Honestly if anyone could tell you with any degree of certainty, they wouldn't tell you.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesnt make sense. Say for instance that you knew google will go up another 20 points by the end of the year. You should secure your holdings first, and then tell everyone you can, to magnify the increase. Once you are riding the wave, it seems fine to pull other people up with yourself.

adios
10-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Whether or not it would magnify an increase is debatable. If I know it was going up another 20 points it wouldn't matter whether I told anyone or not in actuality now that I think about it. It might get there quicker if I did though. What I really meant to say that I wouldn't tell anyone how I knew that it was going up 20 points.

BradleyT
10-13-2004, 12:15 AM
My buddy at work says that Feb 14th is the day that employees can sell their initial shares or something like that. Might want to look that up.

Anadrol 50
10-13-2004, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the heads up....

[ QUOTE ]
4.7 Million Shares came due yesterday, another 39 million will be available for sale in November, and another 177 million in February.

If the article is correct in indicating that only 19.6 million shares were offered at the offering, there could be a lot more sellers out there than buyers. It may be an interesting stock slide through February.

[/ QUOTE ]

BradleyT
10-22-2004, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope no one took this advice, yowser it's on another tear. Honestly I don't see anything stopping them from hitting $250 by end of '05. Can we say Google Browser?

Ulysses
10-22-2004, 04:16 PM
Google is a "phenomenon" stock. I know a lot of people who have made a lot of money on the stock and a lot of people who have really lost their shirt shorting it. Both groups of people seem to believe they are making incredibly good investment decisions based on the underlying fundamentals. Given that I know very smart investors in both groups, my conclusion is that Google is going to (at least for some time) act in a very unique manner and could be highly volatile in either direction. Too big a gamble for me to want to take any big positions on either side.

underthegun662
10-23-2004, 02:10 AM
you shouldnt short GOOG it is moving to strong to the upside. the stock was up over 20 dollars today. you could short it for the short term. but long term no because this stock is cheap compared to good companies like yahoo and ebay if compared to next years earnings. i also think alot of mutual funds dont own this stock. i really like this company and bought 50 shares when it brokeout at 114. i plan holding on to it for a very long time. but yeah dont short a strong stock. dont go against the trend.

Anadrol 50
10-23-2004, 04:53 PM
I never did short it... /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif I would have been [censored].

My plan was too wait till it leveled off. I may have to short it when it hits 250... Long term, this stock is still a short in my opinion. Remeber Altavista ? They used to be the number one se.

BradleyT
10-23-2004, 11:02 PM
My mom was primed and ready to buy google at the IPO. I told her since it's a "dot com" company that the price could fluctuate wildly in the first month and after that we could see if it had stablized and levelled off either above or below the IPO price.

Eh, she's pretty mad at me now.

judgesmails
10-24-2004, 04:58 AM
This stock is a bit speculative, though not overvalued. The technology behind Google will likely become the standard for PC users. Off-site hard drive storage and eventually television and communications delivery could plausibly be dominated by this company in the near future. I would not short this stock until these issues are sorted out. The stock price is being driven by Googles leading postion in this technology. I predict it is 60/40, in their favor, to pan out for them. If not, they are still spectacularily profitable.

Anadrol 50
10-24-2004, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
spectacularily profitable

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

lu_hawk
10-25-2004, 05:37 PM
You could have shorted the internet stocks back in '98 when they were trading for 100x what they were worth. The only problem is that over the next year they got to 1000x what they were worth. That's the problem with shorts based on valuation: if it's crazy now, then it can easily get crazier and squeeze you out at a big loss.

AceHigh
10-25-2004, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When it stops growing.

Anadrol 50
11-05-2004, 07:17 PM
Now may be the time.....

AceHigh
11-07-2004, 08:31 PM
Maybe I just don't understand shorting, but why would anybody short a company like google? A company that could see explosive growth over the next few years.

Why not pick a company that is dying, rather than a company that is growing and thriving. Yeah it may be overpriced, but it's a good company run by smart people. There's got to be lots of business that are in against tough competition, run by dumb people in shrinking markets, those are the companies I would be shorting.

bugstud
11-09-2004, 04:47 AM
looks like a good situation to play a straddle here

Paluka
11-09-2004, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
looks like a good situation to play a straddle here

[/ QUOTE ]

GOOG straddles aren't exactly cheap. The Dec 175 straddles trades over $28.

Mikey
11-12-2004, 08:59 AM
learn to do a ratio analysis and learn to use Value Line instead of trying to pick up tips and inside info. Do some homework.