PDA

View Full Version : KJS against maniac

MHarris
09-29-2004, 02:42 PM
The line on this one: 59% VPIP, 25% PFR, C/R bluffs as a hobby. Seems to enjoy getting caught. Raises some awful hands in EP.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.75 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 6.75 BB

Check behind on both later streets OK? I considered betting the turn, but figured for the price of getting C/R'ed again, I could show down.

prayformojo
09-29-2004, 02:47 PM
I like this line against a maniac. You have a hand that can only beat a bluff, and given your read he's not likely to fold to you. I don't see why you'd bet the turn or river.

With this sort of pre-flop raiser, of course, I would prefer a more specific read on capping standards. PFR stats don't tell that story very well.

dejableu
09-29-2004, 02:49 PM
Interesting hand. No need to bet the turn and river when you have K-high. I play it the same way. You got to a cheap showdown with an iffy hand.

MHarris
09-29-2004, 03:05 PM
Maniac generally follows through whenever given the chance. I've seen him limp-cap with A2s, 3-bet with T9, etc. If he is reraised, expect to see a cap, no matter what.

Prufrock
09-29-2004, 03:13 PM
Played it fine given your description of the maniac. You really cannot push on the later streets give the board. Showdown and even if you lose it just sets the maniac up for the next time.