PDA

View Full Version : String bet or not?

MilwaukeeBull
09-29-2004, 02:23 PM
This happened last night in a tournament I played. I said it was a string bet but two others said it was not.
Guy announces raise. Puts 1 stack of black out. Goes back and brings another stack out and then a third.
When he put the first stack out and went back, I said it was a string bet. He said it wasn't because he announced he was raising. I told him he didn't say how much he was raising and thus was a string bet. Another player said it was fine because he announced a raise.
Now, he put the chips out in front of him where his bets were always being placed. He didn't put them closer and then push them in to show the bet.
If someone announces a raise, don't they also need to say how much? Or announce raise, determine how much then push them forward when done?
Is this a string bet or not? Thanks

AJo Go All In
09-29-2004, 02:25 PM
it's not a string bet.

Vuron00
09-29-2004, 02:30 PM
Yes, its a string bet.

You can make 2 forward motions, but only if your first motion only moves in an amount less than or equal to the call.

Your options are to announce the raise amount - announce raise and then move gather your chips and move then in at once - announce raise, put in enough chips to call, then move in your raise with the second motion.

AceKQJT
09-29-2004, 02:32 PM
not a string bet

MilwaukeeBull
09-29-2004, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's not a string bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it not a string bet? Please clarify.

Sam T.
09-29-2004, 02:46 PM
String bet for sure. He can just keep putting chips in the pot until others in the hand look nervous, or reach to call/reraise.

For those who don't think it was a string bet, could he put some chips out, then change his mind and bring some back?

fnord_too
09-29-2004, 02:51 PM
Definitely a string bet. You can see a great example of this on the WPT when Scotty Warbucks gets HU at the end. The other guy does just what you describe, Scotty sais he can't do that because it's a string bet, and the TD backs him up on it.

MrX
09-29-2004, 03:23 PM
In LIMIT this is not a string bet.

In NO LIMIT, this is a string bet.

I assume this is NL, I cannot imagine 3 stacks being needed to raise in limit.

MrX

Bernas
09-29-2004, 03:25 PM
If it was limit we wouldn't be having this discussion sice there is only one amount he could raise.

Bernas
09-29-2004, 03:27 PM
It IS absolutely a string bet. It should not be tolerated.

MrX
09-29-2004, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If it was limit we wouldn't be having this discussion sice there is only one amount he could raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been in B&M's twice in limit games when players excitingly called "string bet" after a player announced raise but put their fixed raise amount forward in two motions.

These players were so excited to be able to call a string bet withougt even knowing its significance or why the rule exsists.

That was the only reason I even mentioned it.

Again, given the decription, this is a string bet.

MrX