PDA

View Full Version : 20 + 2 on PS - Did I play AK correctly PF here?

Karak567
09-29-2004, 01:57 PM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (8 handed)

CO (t1180)
Button (t1460)
Hero (t1600)
BB (t1630)
UTG (t1430)
UTG+1 (t2230)
MP1 (t2540)
MP2 (t1430)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls t20, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to t140</font>, Hero calls t130, BB folds, CO calls t120.

Flop: (t440) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets t1320 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds, CO folds.

Final Pot: t1760

Gator
09-29-2004, 02:21 PM
I'd suggest that this early in tournament, folding this hand to such a large overbet is not the worst move in the world.

What hands might opponent have here?

AA/KK and hoping to entice someone who might be surprised by his overbet
QQ/JJ – likely (he doesn’t want to see an overcard flop but is willing to take his chances against AK)
AQ/AJ – possible
Small pair – maybe

So, you end up calling with about 10% of your stack in a struggle for 20 in blinds. You are probably a small underdog with a possibility of dominating AQ and the possibility of being up against AA or KK. If you hit an A or K on the flop, you can’t bet it with complete confidence. You won’t have enough chips to show strength and still get away from the hand if you are up against AA or KK.

Live to fight another day.

Of course if the blinds are larger and/or fewer players remain, the strategy might be different.

RavenJackson
09-29-2004, 03:23 PM
I agree with your play. I think that people often overplay big slick. It is a drawing hand and should be played as such. You missed the flop and it is, IMO, to early to push in hoping to hit a pair [not even thinking about the runner runner flush]. You did not mention the Button [whether she/he is tight-aggressive]; however, I suspect he has a high pair [99 or higher] or a set.

wjmooner
09-29-2004, 03:39 PM
Yuck, tough situation. The problem is you can't really raise without blowing off a lot of your stack.

this early in a SnG I probably call and checkfold the ragged flop half the time and muck preflop half the time. Situation and mood dependent.

C

Eder
09-29-2004, 07:00 PM
I not calling that size of raise...coin flip or death here probably...wait till later imo