PDA

View Full Version : autograph

beerbandit
09-29-2004, 01:46 PM
it seems that many people have an autograph from a sports star or maybe some other celebrity. ive also seen these type of items sold for large sums. i just do not understand why an autograph one person received would have such value to another person. it would make more sense to me if the item was a guitar used in the final concert--e.g.

it seems that a paper, napkin or some other simple item that is autographed would only have value to the person that was there and met them.

just curious?
thoughts?

cheers
beer

nolanfan34
09-29-2004, 02:14 PM
I largely agree. I understand people who collect autographs, because usually it means something personal to them. But buying and selling I don't get.

I have a bunch of baseball autographs from when I was a kid. I'd never sell them, because they mean something to me, and are memories from my childhood. One of my prized possessions is the first foul ball I got at a baseball game when I was 7, that my dad snagged after it bounced off of some lady's forehead sitting behind us. The ball is autographed by.....Deacon Jones. I can't remember why, or how, he ended up autographing the ball.

More recently I was at the NEC Golf Championship at Sahallee a couple of summers ago, and I got Phil Mickelson's autograph on my program. I usually wouldn't bother with such a thing nowadays, but Phil was such a nice guy signing for the crowds, and I've always liked the guy as a golfer.

Of course, there is one autograph I have yet to get. Next time I'm in Vegas, I've gotta get my copy of SSHE signed by the NPA if I can find him. I'm going to set out a case of Heinekin when I sit down at the poker tables, and maybe he'll find me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThaSaltCracka
09-29-2004, 02:31 PM
an autograph actually lowers the value of certain items, like baseball cards. I personally really like autographed photos, especially of old baseball players.