PDA

View Full Version : Agressive with suited connector on a ragged board

FeelGoodAboutHood
09-29-2004, 01:36 PM
The small blind in this hand is real wild, will call a raise with anything, will raise with anything. This isn't really my style but once the BB called the pot was getting real big, and if I hit SB could legitimately pay me off with Ace high.

PokerRoom No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (5 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button ($19)
<font color="C00000">SB ($133.75)</font>
BB ($91.50)
<font color="C00000">Hero ($89.75)</font>
MP ($77)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Hero calls $1, MP calls $1, Button calls $1, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to $8.5</font>, BB calls $7.50, Hero calls $7.50, MP calls $7.50, Button folds.

Flop: ($35) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, MP folds, SB calls $15, BB folds.

I actually thought I could take it down right here, figuring that this board didn't hit anyone but me.

Turn: ($65) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $66.25 (All-In)</font>, SB calls $66.25.

Too much here?

River: ($197.50) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $197.50
<font color="green">Main Pot: $197.50, between SB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero ($197.50).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has 5h 6h (flush, nine high).
SB has 4s 4c (two pair, fours and twos).
Outcome: Hero wins $197.50. [/color

Obviously it worked out, and once the heart hit the turn I was willing to live with the results. But really, all I had when I pushed was six-high, I feel like the turn play is lacking, but I thought there was some chance that I could take it down with a big bet. Comments?

schwza
09-29-2004, 02:36 PM
fold to the raise pre-flop. i know that he's raising with junk, but that doesn't mean it's profitable to call a 7.5bb raise with 56s utg, especially with MP left to act.

[ QUOTE ]
and if I hit SB could legitimately pay me off with Ace high

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I actually thought I could take it down right here, figuring that this board didn't hit anyone but me.

[/ QUOTE ]

contradict yourself much? in addition to the ace-high thing, if SB's a maniac, he might be playing wacky hands like K8, Q7, who knows - this board could have hit him. and even if it didn't, is he going to fold?

i would check here, hoping for a free card, assuming that there's a decent chance you're gonna get called.

on the turn, given that you bet the flop, i would check. if this guy's a true maniac, he's unlikely to fold on the turn. in addition, he's very likely to pay you off if you hit one of your many outs (as it turns out 19 outs).

you don't semi-bluff guys who like to call - you make value bets with moderate hands. take the free card on the turn.

FeelGoodAboutHood
09-29-2004, 02:53 PM
I really like what you said about not semi-bluffing here since he'll probably call, and about value betting with moderate hands instead, something I don't take into account nearly often enough.

But doesn't my bet on the flop assure me of him calling a bigger bet if/when I do make my hand. If I go check/check and then spring a 40 dollar bet out there when the third heart hits, my hand looks pretty transparent. Even to this kid.

Pokerho
09-29-2004, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But doesn't my bet on the flop assure me of him calling a bigger bet if/when I do make my hand. If I go check/check and then spring a 40 dollar bet out there when the third heart hits, my hand looks pretty transparent. Even to this kid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, maybe not, but you hadn't made your hand when you made your big bet. It might be more obvious, but you'll win a smaller pot vs. losing a huge pot, which you very nearly did. There's no need to get overly tricky at this level. They often call your all in when it's obvious you're ahead anyway.

Tilt
09-29-2004, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you KNOW hes going to call and you figure you are behind right now (a fair assumption given the preflop action and your 56s) why go all in as an underdog? Yeah, sure, you may not get paid off if it hits, but if it doesn't hit you don't lose that stack either.

Schwza is right on. You need to tighten up pre-flop to a maniac. Don't let the maniac turn you into a maniac, too.