PDA

View Full Version : Joe Buck on Bonds

ThaSaltCracka
09-29-2004, 01:12 PM
Buck article about Bonds (http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3042426?GT1=5012)

I really don't like the way this article goes down.
Thoughts.

some excerpts:

Mark and Sammy were loved by their teammates, and they had a great sense of what they were doing for the popularity of the game. With Bonds, it is not that way.

First, Bonds is a solo act. He is a one-man wrecking crew and the most valuable player in the league, but people can sense he is not a well-liked guy, even in his own clubhouse.

Barry evidently made up his mind long ago that he did not need any help from the media to live life in the big leagues. That is well within his rights. But when you make that choice, you cannot expect those same people to paint a rosy picture about your amazing athletic ability or, more important, give you the benefit of the doubt.

No offense, Joe Buck, but I can see why Bonds doesn't like the media, because you all are a bunch of ass holes to him.

wayabvpar
09-29-2004, 07:07 PM
How do you think they got that way? Bonds fired the first dozen shots or so in that war. He has been a sullen prick for more than a decade now.

ThaSaltCracka
09-29-2004, 07:22 PM
He is a prick to the media and the media likes to portray him as a prick because of this. Bonds to me seems like a guy who likes to do his own thing and wants people and the media leave him alone. Griffey hates talking to the media, but why do people like him? Because he smiles a lot?Because the media portrays him that way? IIRC, Ted Williams hated talking to the media, but he is revered.

There are several people in the sports journalism world who hate Bonds. These people will probably never like Bonds, even though he has done a lot for the sport. Baseball wouldn't be anywhere near as popular without him.

Bucks point that most of America didn't care when he hit his 700th is way off base. Most Americans have grown numb to Bonds, and expected him to hit his 700th hr. When he pases Ruth, most people will say, "well there goes Bonds again, I knew it was only a matter of time."

wayabvpar
09-29-2004, 07:29 PM
The only thing Bonds has done for baseball is to play it at an incredibly high level. He has made little to no effort to be an ambassador for the game in the locker room or off the field.

ThaSaltCracka
09-29-2004, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only thing Bonds has done for baseball is to play it at an incredibly high level.

[/ QUOTE ] Precisely, he sells out stadiums and increases ratings on TV.

[ QUOTE ]
He has made little to no effort to be an ambassador for the game in the locker room or off the field.

[/ QUOTE ] Personally, I am glad he isn't hawking soda, gatorade, hot dogs, nike apparel, or deoderant.

Sooga
09-29-2004, 08:05 PM
I don't remember Bonds ever getting in trouble for beating on his wife, or a DUI, or getting caught with 250 pounds of marijuana in his car. Perhaps he's not an ambassador to the game, but you could a LOT worse than Barry Bonds. He's just a loner-type who wants to be left alone, and the media just won't let him do that.

WillMagic
09-29-2004, 08:16 PM
Well, personally, I think all the Fox announcers are complete idiots. Buck is the least idiotic of the bunch...but when all you have to do is be smarter than McCarver, Brennaman, and Lyons...it's not that much of a challenge.

Will

ThaSaltCracka
09-29-2004, 08:38 PM
good point Sooga.

wayabvpar
09-30-2004, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't remember Bonds ever getting in trouble for beating on his wife, or a DUI, or getting caught with 250 pounds of marijuana in his car. Perhaps he's not an ambassador to the game, but you could a LOT worse than Barry Bonds. He's just a loner-type who wants to be left alone, and the media just won't let him do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has made threatening remarks to teammates and media, had various physical altercations with teammates, and has generally conducted himself like a world class boor. Playing major league baseball is a very well paid job. Part and parcel to that is dealing with fans and media. Bonds has done a very poor job of that. All Buck is pointing out in the article is that it is unsurprising that the general public and media aren't 'rooting' for Bonds, since he has shown his disdain for their opinion in the past.

ThaSaltCracka
09-30-2004, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He has made threatening remarks to teammates and media, had various physical altercations with teammates,

[/ QUOTE ] He has never been suspended or fined.

[ QUOTE ]
Part and parcel to that is dealing with fans and media.

[/ QUOTE ] This certainly isn't written in stone.

[ QUOTE ]
All Buck is pointing out in the article is that it is unsurprising that the general public and media aren't 'rooting' for Bonds, since he has shown his disdain for their opinion in the past.

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah, but I think Buck is way off though. Most baseball fans are rooting for Bonds, but part of the problem though is Bonds has this aura around him. We all EXPECT him to hit his 700th HR, we all EXPECT him to pass Ruth. People would be more surprised if he couldn't pass Ruth. I think the media, and some writers in particular, are rooting against Bonds. Instead of writing why Bonds is amazing, they write why he is an ass. These people need to take the chip off their shoulder and throw away their bias.

razor
09-30-2004, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But when you make that choice, you cannot expect those same people to paint a rosy picture about your amazing athletic ability or, more important, give you the benefit of the doubt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Joe.... WHY NOT?!?!

Just because some/many journalists don't like Barry Bonds, doesn't mean they are released from their obligation to report on Barry's career in a fair, complete and accurate manner.

I really like what Barry said when he was being interviewed by local reporters when in Toronto for an inter-league series (last year I think). He said something to the effect that a baseball players job is to catch the ball, throw the ball and hit the ball... that's it. And he is right, the other stuff is nice, but a ball players only obligation (as a ball player) is to play the game to the best of one's ability.

B00T
09-30-2004, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't remember Bonds ever getting in trouble for beating on his wife, or a DUI, or getting caught with 250 pounds of marijuana in his car. Perhaps he's not an ambassador to the game, but you could a LOT worse than Barry Bonds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, we'll just forget that thing called BALCO.

ThaSaltCracka
09-30-2004, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yea, we'll just forget that thing called BALCO.

[/ QUOTE ] Nothing has been proven.

B00T
09-30-2004, 04:49 PM
My point is people are making him out to be a saint just picked on by the media. It is his choice to not like or talk to the media. Obviously the media would then portray him as a bad character out of spite or bitterness and they lose credibility there.

He DID get into a fight with Jeff Kent. Sets a poor example for your teammates and your willingness to succeed as a TEAM.

I believe it was this and the teams chemistry that single handedly lost the 2002 World Series.

He DOES pose after he hits titanic home runs just staring at the ball going into space. That is disrespectful to the opposing pitcher and team. This is different from the media, the media has no bearing on the actual game or him as a baseball player. This does: he knowingly belittles fellow WORKERS and this undermines him as a professional.

With his trainer's house being raided and being summoned to court leads me to believe he is not an innocent bystander. The FBI really could not care less if he is a good standing with John Q Bay-Area-Bitch or if he high-fives the mascot after he hits a homerun. They have some reason to go after him.

The man is not a saint guilty of just hating the media.

ThaSaltCracka
09-30-2004, 05:49 PM
I am not making him out to be a saint. I am making him out as a normal person, which he is.

[ QUOTE ]
He DID get into a fight with Jeff Kent. Sets a poor example for your teammates and your willingness to succeed as a TEAM.

[/ QUOTE ] See, this right here is a perfect example. Are you saying this is Bonds fault and not Kent's? Or do you just assume that because the media says Bonds is a prick, and therefore he must be the one at fault?

[ QUOTE ]
He DOES pose after he hits titanic home runs just staring at the ball going into space. That is disrespectful to the opposing pitcher and team.

[/ QUOTE ] First of all almost every power hitter does this. Sammy does this, Boone does this, Manny does this, [censored] McGwire did this, big freakin deal. Secondly, let Bonds do it, it's his way of saying "[censored] you, walk me next time if you want!". I like his mean mug at the pitcher.

[ QUOTE ]
This does: he knowingly belittles fellow WORKERS and this undermines him as a professional.

[/ QUOTE ] Are you talking about his teamates?

[ QUOTE ]
With his trainer's house being raided and being summoned to court leads me to believe he is not an innocent bystander. The FBI really could not care less if he is a good standing with John Q Bay-Area-Bitch or if he high-fives the mascot after he hits a homerun. They have some reason to go after him.

[/ QUOTE ] Are you familiar with the most basic principles of law? He is not guilty by association.

offTopic
09-30-2004, 06:18 PM
I was a Giants fan before Bonds got there, and will be one after he retires. If this means I am destined to die disappointed (at least from a baseball standpoint) then so be it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I read this article yesterday, and found it to be completely unremarkable. I won't say Joe Buck has a vendetta against Bonds, but the times he's been doing a national game on Saturdays, as often as not, he will take a shot at Bonds, even if the Giants aren't playing...usally when someone runs extra-hard down the line.

I heard Rick Reilly on KNBR last week...he's the same way. Whatever, these guys have their own careers to promote, and if part of that is ragging on the best hitter (if not the best player) this generation has seen, then so be it. It seems kind of funny in a sense, that if you question these guys as to why they would treat Bonds in such a fashion, their argument boils down to, "...well, he started it."

Now THAT's professionalism.

lowroller
09-30-2004, 06:43 PM
Are you kidding me?!?!?

[ QUOTE ]
but a ball players only obligation (as a ball player) is to play the game to the best of one's ability.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that is his job, then he ain't doing it very well!! This guy is the biggest DOG in the league!!!

Bonds COSTS his team by dogging it every chance he gets on the base paths or in the outfield. He is either too TIRED to move his ass, or he is too busy admiring his "long singles" that don't make it over the fence.

It's a disgrace.

ThaSaltCracka
09-30-2004, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you kidding me?!?!?

[ QUOTE ]
but a ball players only obligation (as a ball player) is to play the game to the best of one's ability.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that is his job, then he ain't doing it very well!! This guy is the biggest DOG in the league!!!

Bonds COSTS his team by dogging it every chance he gets on the base paths or in the outfield. He is either too TIRED to move his ass, or he is too busy admiring his "long singles" that don't make it over the fence.

It's a disgrace.

[/ QUOTE ]
wow, you must not pay attention to baseball much. He has only won the MVP three years in a row, and will win his fourth this year. There is a reason for that.

ThaSaltCracka
09-30-2004, 07:12 PM
this is part of the reason I never listen to sports radio or watch shows like IMax or Rome is Burning. People with vendettas and agendas spouting off trying to make themselves famous by defaming great players.

lowroller
09-30-2004, 08:08 PM
Oh jeez, you got me there! Yeah, I don't pay attention to baseball much. Please...

razor
09-30-2004, 08:32 PM
where in my post do I say that Barry was actually playing to the best of his ability?

ThaSaltCracka
09-30-2004, 08:44 PM
yeah I know you don't because only someone as uninformed as yourself could make such a stupid statement. Please do your homework before you make outlandish statements about a 6 time MVP not trying hard enough.

lowroller
09-30-2004, 10:43 PM
If you can't see him dogging it in every game, every time he puts the ball in play (that is not a homerun), then either you don't know baseball, or you are simply allowing your hero-worship to cloud your judgement.

I'm not denying his accomplishments...they are self-evident. I am saying he's a self-absorbed jerk who puts himself/his personal accomplishments before his team.

lowroller
09-30-2004, 10:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And he is right, the other stuff is nice, but a ball players only obligation (as a ball player) is to play the game to the best of one's ability.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who would say this (and agree with it) that didn't think they were playing to the best of their ability?

ThaSaltCracka
09-30-2004, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you can't see him dogging it in every game, every time he puts the ball in play (that is not a homerun), then you don't know baseball

[/ QUOTE ] Oh, you are right, I actually don't know much about baseball. If Bonds dogs his way around the bases explain to me why he has 30 other extra base hits this season that aren't HR's .

[ QUOTE ]
or you are simply allowing your hero-worship to cloud your judgement.

[/ QUOTE ] I am a grown man, my hero's are not athletes and my judgement is fine. You really need to throw away your obvious bias and hatred for Barry, then come back when you want to have a realistic discussion about Bonds. At least B-Man (who hates Bonds) is intelligent and has real arguments, I can't say the same about you.

[ QUOTE ]
I am saying he's a self-absorbed jerk who puts himself/his personal accomplishments before his team.

[/ QUOTE ] Why do you say this? Explain to me how Barry has adversely affect his team in regards to winning.

sfer
10-01-2004, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...had various physical altercations with teammates...

[/ QUOTE ]

Both incidents with Kent were started by Kent berating a teammate and Bonds defending them.

wayabvpar
10-04-2004, 05:41 PM
Another Bonds column (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=bayless/041001)

I especially loved this part-

[ QUOTE ]
In April of 2002, I asked Barry's father, Bobby, the former star, how upset he was that his son didn't have advertisers lined up at his locker after he hit 73 home runs.

There's that smile -- if only he'd flash it more often.
"Our family is very upset," Bobby said.

Yet, I said, Barry brings some of this on himself.

Bobby raised his hands, palms up, as if to say: "What are you gonna do?"

Then he told me a story about how he had recently asked Barry to take a few minutes to meet the widow and children of a 9/11 victim who were going to be honored before a game. Barry said no, he doesn't break his pre-game routine or concentration for anybody.

"I said, 'Son, this is important'," Bobby said. "And Barry said, 'No.' That's just who Barry is and always has been. He doesn't care what anybody thinks of him. He's going to do it his way. He won't even listen to me, and I'm his father."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. No doubt about it. He is a prick. His own FATHER knew it.

ThaSaltCracka
10-04-2004, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yep. No doubt about it. He is a prick. His own FATHER knew it.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the same article:
When Bobby was dying of cancer through the summer of 2003, Barry finally could have turned himself into a sympathetic figure by telling the media about his visits to the hospital after every game. On Barry's birthday, July 25, he threw out the go-ahead run at home plate in the top of the ninth, then told teammates he was in such a hurry to get to Bobby's bedside that he would end the game with a home run leading off the bottom of the ninth. He did.

what a prick...

sfer
10-04-2004, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And: "Why don't you explain to the media that the real 'bad guy' in your clubhouse was your nemesis, Jeff Kent, who was much more of a moody loner than you've ever been? Why not tell people how well-liked and respected you are by all your current teammates, and how much time you spend helping young players?"

[/ QUOTE ]

So much for Bonds starting fights with teammates.

wayabvpar
10-04-2004, 07:47 PM
You will notice that I didn't accuse Bonds of starting any of the altercations- from what I have heard, Kent is nearly as a big prick as Bonds is.

Sheffield on Bonds (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/magazine/10/04/sheffield_bonds1011/index.html?cnn=yes)

Either every person with a byline in the world is in a grand conspiracy against Bonds, or he is an incredibly talented baseball player who happens to also be an incredibly self-centered boor.

Neil Stevens
10-04-2004, 09:49 PM
I thought it was disgusting when the press inserted themselves into the story of his hunt for the home run record.

Right from the start, they started asking about themselves. "Will Barry get the same love from the press that Mark and Sammy got?" Of course, all predictions in the negative were self-fulfilling.

ThaSaltCracka
10-04-2004, 10:00 PM
The press is use to making names for themselves by bashing people more famous than them.