PDA

View Full Version : Tramps like us

08-28-2002, 12:05 PM
I saw Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band last night at an arena in San Jose.

It’s not that I’m a snob when it comes to sound. It’s just that I’m so experienced at every aspect of it that I can’t have the sound without an opinion. And my opinion is that music and basketball are best kept in separate buildings.

I don’t know how to tell you how I got from there to here, but during the second song of the first encore set, Thunder Road, which you could group as, “One of those Springsteen songs from way back when that I’ve heard a million times,” I had something like a nervous breakdown of sheer life rapture, with tears riverbedding down my face and neck and puddling at my clavicle.

I was okay after that. Like this morning. Really okay. Thanks Bruce, anthem maker, relentless giver, unifier.

Tommy

08-28-2002, 12:22 PM
baby, we wer born to run..it's a suicide trap, it'll rip the skin off your bones.so baby...

08-28-2002, 03:47 PM

08-28-2002, 11:55 PM
Candy's Room

One Step Up

Badlands

Born To Run

The Rising

Ghost Of Tom Joad[RATM Cover Version]

Blinded By The Light[Manfred Mann Cover Version]

Basketball arenas suck beyond epic d*** as concert venues. Hockey arenas are much better, but nothing'll ever match those ol' multipurpose arenas like the Salt Palace, LA Forum, Spectrum, Omni, Reunion, McNichols, etc. Were they all designed, built, upholstered, wardrobed[sec personnel], by the same companies? /images/smile.gif

All gone now, along w/me youth, of course... [sniff] /images/frown.gif

08-28-2002, 11:58 PM

08-29-2002, 12:01 AM
Thunder Road live w/Melissa Ethridge, available on mp3 with those file sharing programs (Bearshare, Morpheus, Kazaa, etc...)

This is the best version of any sprinsteen song, imo.

08-29-2002, 12:19 AM
"but nothing'll ever match those ol' multipurpose arenas like the Salt Palace, LA Forum, Spectrum, Omni, Reunion, McNichols"

My ears might still be ringing from seeing AC/DC at McNichols in 8th grade. I didn't know sound could be that loud. I don't think I did any damage, but man was that ridiculous with the sound just trapped in concrete. Top Bic Mac memories (1)Seeing Gordie Howe and getting autograph (2) 10 cent beer night @ Rockies (the HOCKEY team of course) game (3) Knife pulled on me by angry Hulk Hogan fan who was all talk no action, thank goodness. Lotsa laughs @ old Big Mac. AC/DC is no. 4 I guess. LOL.

08-29-2002, 12:23 AM
Only saw Bruce live 1x. LA Coliseum at end of Born in The USA tour. Venue was too big, too many fans had only heard "Born In The USA", but the 4 hour show was great. Bruce can overcome the venue no?

Did anyone like "Nebraska" other than me?

08-29-2002, 10:06 AM
a similar experience at a Led Zep concert in '74...of course it could have been the brownies...

jt

08-29-2002, 02:19 PM
... is Thunder Road[it's his online name @ Paradise, so 'nuf said! /images/smile.gif

Actually, I'm sure 'Lissa's cover is very good, although I've never cared for TR.

Did you mean to post a link to it?

08-29-2002, 02:33 PM
Lord, that was a loud tour, as was Black Sabbath's Mob Rules show later that year, 1982, which was a fantastic year for concerts:

Ozzy w/Randy Rhoads[till March RIP /images/frown.gif] - Diary of a Madman

AC/DC - FTATR

Stevie Nicks/Joe Walsh[?] - Wild Heart

Rod Stewart - Original Band reunion

Elton John - ditto

Sabbath - Mob Rules

Scorpions & Iron Maiden - Blackout/Number of the Beast

Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance

I'm still pissed as hell that KISS didn't play SLC on the Creatures Of The Night tour, w/Vinnie Vincent & Eric Carr, the last tour they did till '96 wearing makeup & using their 'old' set list, stage, & effects. Saw 'em the following year on Lick It Up, and the only old song they played was Rock & Roll All Nite. I guess seeing 'em in '96 @ LA Forum *mostly* makes up[sorry!] for it.

1981 was a great year, too, but SLC got stiffed by AC/DC's BIB & Ozzy/Motorhead[!]'s Blizzard/Iron Fist tours. Prolly just as well, as I was still too geeky to go to Sabbath's H&H tour that year; don't need more regrets. /images/smile.gif

08-29-2002, 04:30 PM
i had been alive in '74 to see Zep. i still mourn for John Bonham...

08-29-2002, 06:01 PM
Sorry no link you'll have to find it yourself with P2P file sharing as it is not on any website (or CD) as far as I know. It is easy to find with Kazaa or Bearshare however. Also, it is not just Melissa, it is a duet with Springsteen. I didn't really like the song either until I heard this version.

-Glenn

08-29-2002, 10:18 PM
All great ones. But Born in the USA is my favorite. Great to see the Boss back.

08-30-2002, 12:00 AM
I was thinking about this all day and there are so many I like from the early stuff that it's tough to pick. Dazed and Confused is probably it. baggins, I mourn for Plant's voice and that long blonde hair. One of Babe's Best Boys, for sure /images/wink.gif.

08-30-2002, 12:04 AM
I love Nebraska even though it was recorded on a Tascam porta studio ( and sounds like it).

Higway Patrolman my favorite on that.

I saw Springsteen on the Ghost of Tom Joad tour

in the U.C. San Jose basketball gym, with him

solo, and the sound was great. So college bball ok, NBA venue too big.

D.

08-30-2002, 01:52 AM
The Rover

They're all great, of course, but Pagey once said this had his best guitar work on it. Funny they never played it live.

When The Levee Breaks & Achilles Last Stand VERY close 2nd & 3rd.

08-30-2002, 10:41 AM
My favorite has always been Ramble On...

jt

08-30-2002, 10:47 AM
"What Is and What Should Never Be" is also great...I remember Page onstage playing his Les Paul with a violin bow on that song-awesome.

08-30-2002, 11:42 AM
Ah, too many to choose from...

But for anyone who grew up in the UK, then one song will give you goose bumps. Whole Lotta Love just means one thing...it's Thursday, 7pm and you're watching BBC1.

Also, many have tried, but for me it's teh only song with a musical orgasm...the soaring tension through the middle of the song. And if you aren't headbanging round your room when that wave breaks, something must be up with your ears.

Just wish i had long hair for those moments...

Over The Hills And Far Away is a solid gold first song if you ever make your own led zep compilation.

G

08-30-2002, 12:26 PM

08-30-2002, 12:36 PM
Good Times Bad Times

"In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man. Now I reached that age I try to do all those things the best I can."

"I know what it means to be alone. I sure do wish I was at home. I don't care what the neighbor's say. I'm gonna love you, each and every day!"

Simply classic.

A girl I work with says that she hates Led Zeppelin. She can't stand Robert Plant's voice. She's 19 years old and loves POD and Creed. I fear for the future.

08-30-2002, 01:51 PM
i definitely agree on dazed and confused. but isnt it a little misogynistic for you? i also love Hey Hey What Can I Do.

Pat

08-30-2002, 01:52 PM
In My Time of Dying

1) The drums

2)It's LZ's longest

3) Plant orgasms straight to heaven, stairway not needed.

4) The drums

5) It was done live in the studio, no overdubs or other cheating

6) The slide

7) The niftiest variations and entanglements of the main themes

/images/glasses.gif The drums. Take the greatest drummer, on his greatest day, and frame it, and that's In My Time of Dying.

9) And I won a bet on this song, long ago. Guess who wrote the lyrics sort of?

Tommy

08-30-2002, 03:42 PM
i was thinking i might say In My Time Of Dying

i don't know who did it originally. but i know bob dylan played a kick-ass version of it on his first album. man is THAT good.

re: other Zep classics i love:

fool in the rain (i love this song. me and a buddy would sit in the rain and listen to this song when we were both bumming about the females. he's married now. im still just fool waitin on the wrong block.)

the rain song

battle of evermore

bron y aur

black mountainside

over the hills and far away

no quarter (the original version where john paul jones rocks out. not the pussifyed version page & plant re-recorded a few years back.)

hey hey what can i do

how many more times

08-30-2002, 03:59 PM

08-30-2002, 04:02 PM
I'm about to lose my worried mind!

08-30-2002, 06:34 PM

08-30-2002, 06:36 PM

08-31-2002, 12:46 AM
"Soul of a woman was created below...." Yes, a little misognistic, but the broader meaning is that he's dazed and confused by a woman who has control over him. "everday I work so hard bringin' home my hard earned pay, "try to love you baby, but you push me away". The woman is really in charge. Babe

08-31-2002, 12:53 AM
"you know I love you baby,..."my love for you I could never hide" OH YES /images/wink.gif Supersexy.

08-31-2002, 12:58 AM

08-31-2002, 01:05 AM
"been working from 7 7 7 to 11 everynight"...sounds like a poker player's life!.. That other Babe title is "I can't Quit you Babe"....

08-31-2002, 04:23 PM
Squeeze my lemon til the juice runs down my leg.

WOO HOO!

08-31-2002, 06:42 PM
From the supersexy "lemon song" /images/tongue.gif