PDA

View Full Version : Interesting hand, too fast?

willie
09-29-2004, 12:25 PM
eh this just happened in a multi and i'm wondering if i played it too quickly.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed)

MP2 (t595)
CO (t1565)
Button (t1720)
SB (t3180)
Hero (t1265)
UTG (t2090)
MP1 (t1140)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls t30, MP1 calls t30, MP2 folds, CO calls t30, Button calls t30, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t125</font>, UTG calls t95, MP1 calls t95, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls t95.

Flop: (t560) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets t75</font>, MP1 calls t75, SB calls t75, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t250</font>, UTG folds, MP1 folds, SB folds.

Final Pot: t1035

I'm lovin hitting the set on the flop, and checkraising. I was kind of craving more action with this hand, but didn't want another broadway card making a straight for someone. My raise preflop had me thinking that someone might have aces up on this flop and be ready to give some action as well.

too quick? good line? what's the deal. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

nuclear500
09-29-2004, 12:48 PM
No, you had to play it this way. There was probably a Queen and a Ten out there hoping to see the next card cheaply.

Jackarama_
09-29-2004, 12:51 PM
i think you played it fine,if some one is on the str8 draw you have to make them pay,and anyone with two pair might have gave you action,slow playing here or giving someone a cheap card is dangerous,but i might be wrong /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bernas
09-29-2004, 12:54 PM
Not a big fan of the check/raise here. I think a simple raise might do the trick. Check/Raise screams trips to me. Obviously did to everyone in the hand too.

betgo
09-29-2004, 12:55 PM
A lot of times betting out with a set is better than check raising, partly because check raising tends to cause people to fold. You are right though that you are in trouble if a T or Q hits.

willie
09-29-2004, 12:57 PM
yeah i'd guess that my raise does scream trips, but what kind of a bet into this pot is going to keep people from chasing broadway?

2/3 pot?

Bernas
09-29-2004, 01:07 PM
Hmmm. I think you want people to chase broadways here. There might be 8 cards that would make them a straight but there are also 7 cards that could make you a full house or better.

I would make a standard pot sized bet here. You could even go 2/3 of the pot like you suggested.

Che
09-29-2004, 02:25 PM
I think your line is fine, willie, IF you're very confident that someone will bet the flop for you. Otherwise, you'll really be kicking yourself when it is checked around and the Q or T comes on the turn.

I would probably bet out 300-350 on the flop since that looks weak enough that Ax may decide to push in and test you. This line also charges more than enough to make the gutshots overpay (but AT/QJ/JT may still make the bad call).

BTW unless you have top set on an extremely uncoordinated board (or the nut straight or flush, I guess /images/graemlins/cool.gif), it is virtually impossible to make a mistake by playing too fast unless you make a bet far above the size of the pot (which isn't even an option for you here given your stack size).

The mistakes almost always come from playing too slow.

Later,
Che