PDA

View Full Version : 60k in 60 days: Season 2 - Day 28 and 29

gonores
09-29-2004, 11:07 AM
Fsuplayer and I are going to have a week-long challenge against each other, with the stakes being a round of golf at either Whistling Straits or TPC at Sawgrass. The object of said challenge is to force each of us to play as many hands as humanly possible in 7 days. However, since he is a current “student” (I use the term lightly /images/graemlins/tongue.gif ) and I am a “professional” (again, lightly), it is hard to settle on the proper terms for the bet. We are both playing in the same games (10/20 6max), though I think at the moment fsuplayer is only playing 3 tables. The initial offer was to have an even money bet on me playing twice as many hands as fsuplayer, with hand scoring on the honor system. Does anyone have a better idea on how to structure this to ensure a safe and fun contest?

So I found out about my silent auction date. At this point in the story, you may want to prepare your index finger for pointing and take a deep inhale so you can save time pointing and laughing at me. And the winner is….MY HIGH SCHOOL SPEECH TEACHER. A married forty-something who I haven’t seen in four years valued my presence higher than any other goddamn female at that damn party? WTF? Someone has some ‘splainin’ to do. Anywho, I get to have dinner with her and her husband before flag football tonight. Should be rather interesting

To be honest, the whole thing makes sense in a weird sorta way. Both myself and the guy for which we had the fund raiser got along rather well with this particular teacher, and she allowed and encouraged outside-the-box thinking in the name of bringing entertainment to what was normally a boring class full of introverted floor-gazers who stuttered their way through a five-minute discourse on the history of stamp collecting. To this day, she still shows a video of my demonstrative speech to all of her speaking classes. This particular assignment allowed the speaker to choose from a vast array instructional topics, and the speaker also got to choose the intended audience, so naturally I chose to give a speech on how to play with play-dough to an audience of kindergartners. Long story short, the “Do’s and Do Not’s” section of the speech featured me eating play-doh and subsequently doing a backward somersault over the teacher’s desk and into a projector screen along with me jamming play-doh into my eyes and hair and running into walls and screaming at the top of my lungs….A+ work if I’ve ever seen it. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I started the Receptacle of Rage on Monday as a tool to calm me down while playing. Every time I raise my voice or utter a profanity while playing, $1 goes into the receptacle, which is going to go toward Radiohead tickets for my roommate and other close friends who are “spotting” me on this self-improvement exercise. Two days in, I am at $4 (One MF bomb, two F bombs, and one B missle). It’s definitely another step in the right direction…it’s hard to stay angry when my opponent hits a two-outer on me on the river and I blurt out “Oh ffffff….fiddlesticks.”

Day 28 tested my resolve on the statement I made last entry about flipping off the poker gods and punting black cats into mirrors. Three sessions into the day, I put up sessions of -$142.50, -$836, and -$105, at one point being $1500 in to the hole. I sat there and told the poker gods to go eff themselves one more time, and proceeded to finish the day with sessions of $968 and $1254.5 for a total of $1139. I ended early and decided to have a few Tanqueray Ten Martinis and watch Boondock Saints with the roomie. Although Tanqueray is my go-to gin, TQ10 is just as insanely good with a little M&R Dry, although I recommend going with the straight Tanqueray if you prefer a dirty martini.

Day 29 was pretty smooth sailing after the obligatory 30BB early downswing. Six sessions of 30 to 60 minutes. $589.50, $405, $297, -$408.50, $921.50, and -$201.50. Somehow, I got through the volatile Day 28 without a single deposit to the Receptacle of Rage, but the relatively tranquil Day 29 was chock-full of mini-outbursts. Assuming I stick with playing professionally, I think days off like Day 27 are going to be critical to my success, and will be utilized with much frequency. Even two days into the new streak and I can’t maintain full composure during turbulence. The one thing at the end of the streak which I can’t wait to see is how I handle these things once I stop having to worry about a finite goal at a finite time. I’m guessing and hoping that I will have pretty damn thick skin. Total for day 29: $1602.50.

Hands
Disjointed bluff attempt? – 4 handed, I am dealt 4d6d in the SB. The two reasons I am in the game limp from the CO and the Button. I complete, and BB (slightly too loose, reasonably aggressive, ok player) raises. Everyone calls. Flop comes 3s 2c 3h. I bet out and the BB raises, CO calls two cold and button folds. Turn is the 8c. I check, fearing the cold-caller, but BB bets out and the cold-caller folds. I decide I have a reasonable chance to pick this pot up and raise. He calls, and I bet out once more on the river when the Qh comes. I’ll be honest…I don’t think a reasonable player will buy this line…It looks like a desperate flail at a big pot, and it is a risk of a lot of chips to complete the bluff. I disliked it the second the hand was over. BTW…he called with A8s, though I think he would have called with any ace.

Mr LAG, meet the real Mr. LAG – UTG+1 (PFR of 27%...similar postflop aggression) raises my big blind. Folded to me with Ah 6c. I call. Flop comes 9s 4s 5d. I check, he bets, I raise, he 3bets, I call. Turn is the Ad. I check, he bets, I raise, he calls. River is the 3c. I bet, he calls. Standard vs. LAG?

What happened to Mr. LAG? I open-raise with KK from the CO. A loose, aggressive, and very tricky player with whom I’ve played quite a few hands calls two cold on the button, and the BB comes along as well. The flop comes T74 with 2 diamonds (I have the Kd). Checked to me, I bet, button calls, and BB folds. I check the turn when the 2c comes, hoping to checkraise, but tricky-boy checks as well. The river brings the Jc. I bet out, Button raises, and I call. I think this is one of the 10 worst hands I’ve played during the entire 60k….what do you think?

Day 28 – Goal: 2000 10/20 6m hands
Results – 1916 hands
+$1139

Day 29 – Goal: 2000 10/20 6m hands
Results: 1906 hands
-$1602.50

Cumulative results
Goal: 150000 hands (secret modified hand-scoring system)
Days 1-29: 119131 hands (extrapolated: 119131 hands)
Goal: $60000
Days 1-29: $35787.75 ($6787.75 ahead of pace, extrapolated: $74043.62)

*Note: All you people who plan on boycotting Empire are idiots. You don’t break up with a supermodel girlfriend just because she was fibbing when she told you she likes football. You people are presumably playing for profit, and some of you are professionals, and as such, should be making business decisions based solely on EV. You are, for all essential purposes, going on tilt because Empire had to correct a mistake that could have cost them millions of dollars. If you didn’t think “this is probably too good to be true,” you live in a diluted world. Get a grip and stay where you can make the most money. The games are still great, and they have a great rake rebate program. Stop letting your emotions affect your business decisions.

And, yes, I am an Empire affiliate, but does that make anything I say less true?

stoxtrader
09-29-2004, 11:28 AM
hand 2 - lead the turn? so what if he folds.

2:1 seems like a fair ratio i guess so long as the week only incorporates one weekend. it really depends on what FSU's course load is and how much he plans on actually attending class and doing work, the fair way to arbiter it is simply with a PT screenshot methinks.

ripped
09-29-2004, 11:30 AM
the decision is not to boycott party skins..it's the empire skin..I will still kick the snot out of the same players on partypoker so there is no loss with empire gone.

gonores
09-29-2004, 11:39 AM
Wow, I bet iGlobalMedia is going to be real pissed off that you are generating rake for them from a different skin, while operating from the Party skin with an inferior rake kickback program.

Keep crusading....I'd imagine iGlobal would be very happy if it could filter all its professional players (who do not often redopsit money) on to its Party skin, but you do whatever makes you feel good.

gonores
09-29-2004, 11:41 AM
Are you talking about my A6 hand or my KK hand? I thought the turn was an easy play on the A6 hand, but I agree with you on the KK hand (the 3rd hand).

The PT thing seems like the obvious solution, but I still only capture approximately 80% of my hands on to PT...an I don't understand what all goes wrong...I can end a 2000 hand day thinking I easily captured each hand and sent them to my email, only to find out I am missing 300 mystery hands.

stoxtrader
09-29-2004, 11:49 AM
i was speaking of the KK hand - correct.

do you have patch 2.05 and use auto-import? that may solve ur hands problem, not positive though.

ripped
09-29-2004, 11:50 AM
umm.. Each site is different.. you think iGlobalmedia owns Intertops and coral also?..they are all based on they own rakes and bonuses or they would all give the same [censored] out to their players..

But Nice try.. your post almost had some value to it.

gonores
09-29-2004, 11:53 AM
I operate PT from a different computer than where I play...I am not sure how to optimize my hand-capturing ability with this setup.

Leading the turn on Hand 3 is so superior it is sickening. So is 3betting on the river.

gonores
09-29-2004, 11:56 AM
Like I said...do whatever you wanna do. Knock yourself out.

What I want to know is why was I dumb enough to respond to your post in the first place.

ripped
09-29-2004, 12:01 PM
you couldnt help it..

pudley4
09-29-2004, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I operate PT from a different computer than where I play...I am not sure how to optimize my hand-capturing ability with this setup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have them networked?

gonores
09-29-2004, 12:19 PM
negative

sfer
09-29-2004, 12:23 PM
Hey ripped, did you exist--I mean in, like, the real world--two days ago or were you just spontaneously created out of the collective blind rage at Empire. You should consider devoting your life, or at least part of it, to causes slightly more noble than feeling entitled to $500.

In other news, way to go Doug.

pudley4
09-29-2004, 12:30 PM
/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm at work right now so I can't check this out: How big are the temp files that Party stores on your computer (i.e. can they be emailed)? And are they created/deleted every time you open/close a new table, or are they only deleted when you log out of Party?

gonores
09-29-2004, 12:36 PM
I'll look into it...I have a huge-assed POP3 email account that I am certain could handle the file xfer...I guess I dismissed the idea when I tried to make it work when they first started it and PT hadn't updated.

I'll give it a try.

Thanks,

Doug

ripped
09-29-2004, 12:45 PM
No..I never existed because I didnt post on your boards..how [censored] stupid can you be?

get [censored]

gonores
09-29-2004, 12:56 PM
You seem to have a low opinion of me, my esteemed colleague sfer, and basically anyone who who dares to disagree with you on this topic. Wanna play me heads up? We can play for your precious $500. Seems like it would be pretty easy to take money off me if your opinion of me is correct.

TimM
09-29-2004, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can end a 2000 hand day thinking I easily captured each hand and sent them to my email, only to find out I am missing 300 mystery hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is tough to guarantee you get all of your hands. Sometimes the autorequest fails, and you dont get the right sound. I keep my e-mail program open, and I'm always checking mail right after each request. If the mail doesn't come within a minute or so, I force another request. I also have my requests set so that I expect to get every hand twice. E.g. I play 4 full tables, and expect more than 250 hands per hour. I set the requestor to grab 100 hands every 8 minutes, so I'm requesting about 500 per hour. If I miss any single e-mail, the prior e-mail and the next one together will have all the missing hands.

Schneids
09-29-2004, 02:24 PM
If you're only laying him 2:1 I would take you to win this bet in a heart beat. I think 2.5:1 or even 3:1 (though that is getting a little steep) is much more fair, given the MANY demands of being a student, and the few demands on your time other than socializing. Plus, you play an extra table. Plus, you have this little goal you must publicly update about.

frank_iii
09-29-2004, 02:35 PM
You're an affiliate so perhaps you can help. Basically, I want to take part in the rake rebate program but already have an empire account. /images/graemlins/frown.gif Is there any way that I can still get a piece of this action? I joined empire before I came to 2+2 and had never heard of the program.

gonores
09-29-2004, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think 2.5:1 or even 3:1 (though that is getting a little steep) is much more fair, given the MANY demands of being a student, and the few demands on your time other than socializing

[/ QUOTE ]

You're obviously not a business student....you must have one of those "real" majors. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

You also vastly underestimate the time necessary for me to socialize properly....you can't just factor in the time I spend out and about...you have to also factor in the hangover shake-off, the time spent making breakfast for that girl upstairs whos name I don't know, etc. It's hard work.

gonores
09-29-2004, 02:44 PM
I'm sure there is a way around the system (and I am certain your PM box is full of money-grubbing affiliates who can help you with this). I like to operate on the up and up, though.

I really wish I had the foresight to not submit the fact that I am an affiliate. me so dumb.

Sponger15SB
09-29-2004, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You seem to have a low opinion of me, my esteemed colleague sfer, and basically anyone who who dares to disagree with you on this topic. Wanna play me heads up? We can play for your precious $500. Seems like it would be pretty easy to take money off me if your opinion of me is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch, my opinion of you just got lowered.

Would you like to bet $500 on whos penis is bigger? Give me a break...

gonores
09-29-2004, 02:51 PM
OK, here's what I did, and it seemed to work.

On my laptop, there are approximately a week's worth of HHs in my Empire HH file. I threw each txt document into a compressed folder and emailed it to myself, opened my email from my desktop, extracted the files, copied them to hard disk, and imported via the old-school file import.

This seems pretty fast, but can I expediate the process any further?

sfer
09-29-2004, 02:53 PM
Dumb enough to distinguish metaphor and literal truth.

gonores
09-29-2004, 03:03 PM
Sponger,

Please note how he stopped replying to this thread (although this post may or may not give him the motivation to reply further).

I just handled him like I would anyone at one of my tables who was running his mouth. This dude is a small-stakes player...I severly doubt he would risk $500 in heads-up match with a guy who makes a good percentage of his income from HU play...I was just trying to make a point.

Didn't mean to offend you.

Doug

bicyclekick
09-29-2004, 03:04 PM
gonores : he's a troll that's a regular poster. He got me good last night.

Don't bite anymore.

LikesToLose
09-29-2004, 03:05 PM
You could get a USB memory card with 128mb of storage and use that to transfer back and forth. Also, many MP3 players will work to store normal data files

Why are you not running PT on the same machine you are playing on? I'm virtually positive that you can load it on 2 machines. You just need to get a second registration code from Pat. That way, you set it up to auto import every 1 minute from the local copies of hand histories on your machine. It will now run completly minimized and never pop up.

This assumes that you use the beta version of 2.05M (I think that is the right number)

jasonHoldEm
09-29-2004, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
started the Receptacle of Rage on Monday as a tool to calm me down while playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea, consider it stolen. Glad to see you are still running strong and good luck in the second half of your challenge.

Peace,
J

fsuplayer
09-29-2004, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fsuplayer and I are going to have a week-long challenge against each other, with the stakes being a round of golf at either Whistling Straits or TPC at Sawgrass. The object of said challenge is to force each of us to play as many hands as humanly possible in 7 days

[/ QUOTE ]

...let's ditch that method.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have a better idea on how to structure this to ensure a safe and fun contest?

[/ QUOTE ]

"... bet $500 on whos penis is bigger?"

Yes...I win.

fsuplayer

Joe826
09-29-2004, 05:35 PM
are you going to be subtracting contributions to the receptacle of rage from your total? i think you should. if you claim to have made 60k when you actually came out with only $59,964 due to your bad behavior i'll be less than impressed.

joker122
09-29-2004, 05:36 PM
Sounds like a blast. Let me know how #17 at Sawgrass goes...

fsuplayer
09-29-2004, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let me know how #17 at Sawgrass goes..

[/ QUOTE ]

With Sawgrass being my home course, I know just the hex to put on gonores to make him choke...hey, at least i can beat him in golf.

fsuplayer /images/graemlins/grin.gif

aces up
09-29-2004, 11:07 PM
Boondock Saints Rules!

astroglide
09-30-2004, 01:30 AM
that movie is over the top and not in an enjoyable way

ChicagoTroy
09-30-2004, 01:56 PM
Willem Dafoe unbuttoning his shirt and firing his gun while examining a crime scene, that was fcking hi-larious.