PDA

View Full Version : Top and Bottom Pair, and Raises Galore - what to do next?

Cleveland Guy
09-29-2004, 10:59 AM
Pokerroom 1/2 - 5 max (5 seated)

Hero is BB with K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Folded to the button who raises (pretty normal action for him when he opens). SB calls, Hero Calls

1st Question - is this blind defense okay?

Flop: K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB Bets, Hero Raises, Button 3- Bets, SB Caps, Hero Calls, Button calls.

Turn: 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
SB Bets - Hero ??

What should my river action be? what cards should change it?

meow_meow
09-29-2004, 11:15 AM
I don't think you can possibly fold for 1 bet on the turn. If it is 3-bet back to you on the turn then fine, let go, but otherwise I would call it down, unless you hit an 8 or a K on the river.

wahooriver
09-29-2004, 11:27 AM
I agree with the blind defense - Miller discusses the rationale nicely in SSHE.

I understand your caution. I try the Negreanu method - I try to guess what the betters and raisers might have.

1. A high pair (even less than K) could stimulate the original bet.

2. AA might induce a raise - although I would have expected a 3 bet preflop.

3. A set (Ks, 9s or 8s) - Ks and 8s are less likely with your hand - but possible. Ks would have probably also led to a 3 bet.

4. K9 or 98 would certainly lead to this betting pattern.

5. J10 - many that I play against would become extremely aggressive with a straight draw.

6. A flush draw - I see a lot of betting on flush draws in short handed games

7. Especially J /images/graemlins/club.gif10 /images/graemlins/club.gif - who can resist a straight flush draw - so many outs.

8. AK - many players would reraise with AK - assume the best kicker and discounting your bet.

Thus, you have many possibilities, and some leave you in the lead. I would see the bet - not raise and await the river. I would love a K, 8 or a rag. I would fear a Q, 7 or any club.

I would see one bet on the river, but avoid raisers. I would fold on the turn if a raising war breaks out once again.

samdash
09-29-2004, 02:25 PM
I would raise the sb's turn bet with great confidence. I'd say based on the PFR's flop play, you're up against a king or a smaller pocket pair. You'll have him beat 95% of the time here. The sb worries me more but I'd say he'll have a king, a good draw or something like 89 often enough to make this an easy turn raise. If the PFR has a big king you would be happy to knock him out of the hand at this point.

Benjamin
09-29-2004, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
1st Question - is this blind defense okay?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely, unless you have a read that button only raises premium hands, even when folded to on the button.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB Bets, Hero Raises, Button 3- Bets, SB Caps, Hero Calls, Button calls.

Turn: 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
SB Bets - Hero ??

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not familiar with pokerroom 1/2 5-max, but in the games I frequent I will raise here most times. As mentioned before, the range of hands your opponents could have includes quite a few that you are ahead of. K9, KK, 88, 99 are the only plausible hands that beat you now (ruling out 44 due to flop action). 89, AK, KQ, KJ, KT, and lots of straight and flush draws all are in the mix of possible hands that would put in a lot of action on the flop.

If re-raised, I'd go into call-down, thinking I'm now behind, but not folding in a pot this big. If called, I'd bet most rivers. A Q /images/graemlins/club.gif might make me check/call if both opponents are still around. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

B.

Cleveland Guy
09-29-2004, 04:50 PM
I raised the turn, Button Calls, SB 3-bets, I call, Button Calls

River: 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
SB Bets, I raise, Button Calls, SB Calls

Results:
SB: 1 Pair Kings (k /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif)
Hero: 2 Pair Kings and 8s (K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif)
Button 1 Pair Aces (A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif)

My thoughts: I was worried about the pre-flop defense because I have been trying to tigthen mine up, as I had been a little loose in my defending of the BB, but I thought this was a good one. (Easy call if the SB folds)

After the flop action I was pretty sure the Button had either AK or AA. The SB had me a bit confused, I was thinking he either had 98, or pair plus flush, or flush and straight draw and wanted to make him pay, but I was a bit worried he had a set.

The river blank I thought gave me a good value bet to raise after all the action on previous streets.

Other comments?