PDA

View Full Version : when to fold trips?

bweiser8311962
09-29-2004, 05:57 AM
is there ever a time when you fold trips? i just hit trips in a hand and i thought for sure i was beat. i had 7s, the flop came 2/7/J and I got raised. The turn was a 9 and the river was a 3. I bet and got raised on every instance. I was ready to congratulate the guy with trip jacks when he turned over aces. needless to say, i was very happy i stayed in the hand.

would anyone have folded to such aggressiveness? There's only one hand that beats you on that flop. but there are obviously others that think they have you beat and may bet aggressively. i slowed down on the river and just called. in retrospect, i should have kept pushing.

Rudbaeck
09-29-2004, 06:12 AM
I'd four bet every street.

Webster
09-29-2004, 07:20 AM
If you lose with trip you better lose a LOT. I would have cappe the turn and prayed on the river.

Ed Miller
09-29-2004, 12:43 PM
You should NEVER fold a set of sevens in the circumstances you gave. Folding would have been a terrible blunder.

Demana
09-29-2004, 02:45 PM
The most important thing for you to remember here is that there is only one hand that can beat you: trip jacks.

But there are many hands that will think that they are the best, giving you lots of action: any J with a good kicker, two pair, 22 (lower trips), QQ, KK, AA, or overcards.

This is the reason that everyone is telling you to bet this hand as high as you can. The odds of someone having the one hand that can beat you are super small.

The 9 on the turn should not slow you down either. It may give someone a straight draw and you want to make them pay for it. If they hit 2 pair, all the more action for you.

The 3 is a blank and you should cap all the way.

This is all assuming that there is no three flush on the board. With a three flush, you may need to slow down (check/call mode) if someone who was just calling starts to raise when the third of the suit hits.

Trips with the middle pair can seem scary when the betting starts to happen, but played right, they will make you $$$ in the long run.

~Demitri

btw - If someone pulls out a miracle river on you when you have trips and have bet them out, then you just have to eat it and move on to the next hand knowing that you played it right and you put your money in the pot as the favorite.