PDA

View Full Version : when you're running bad

Cerril
09-29-2004, 05:19 AM
Okay, this isn't a gripe since I'm a winning player so far... complaining about a losing streak in the green would be silly. (I also don't have enough of a sample to prove I'm a winning player, but I -am- in the green).

Anyway, obviously I've had a fairly bad streak (couple thousand hands showing a cumulative negative despite an amazing but short run of cards) or I wouldn't be bothering, but as usual I had an insight I had to share.

---

Okay, most of you've stopped reading by now I'm sure. Anyway, what came to mind was a quote I heard at the beginning of my serious play that bolstered me a lot, and still keeps me going. (paraphrased) 'When you're running well you feel unbeatable, and when you're running bad you begin to wonder if you even know how to play the game!'

So pre-50k hands (at which point I think you can be pretty confident it's not a fluke), how do you all deal with the sorts of bad streaks that seem to try their hardest to tell you that you don't actually know the first thing about good poker (or at least winning poker)?

Many, many plays have left me questioning what I'm doing. I got off balance (I quit when I realized I had) when I made a series of 'good' decisions - either good calls or good folds - that were terrible decision. I was betting into dead draws at least three times, made a couple folds against two bets on the turn from hands I was freerolling against or had dominated to two outs... plenty more decisions that were more marginal but together just made me wonder if I was playing completely wrong. I'm not talking suckouts and bad beats. Those are more 'elementary' issues to deal with in a bad day.

---

Alright, if you're still reading I thank you since that was mostly getting the loss off my chest.

Obviously I know I'm not such a terrible player that it hasn't been plenty of luck. the sort of plays I would have been needing to make to improve my EV on those hands would have made me the tightest rock in some and the loosest fish in others. I also know that there were plenty of mistakes in there, since after all I'm playing to improve. But that's not the problem

I guess this might belong in psychology, but it works here as well. How do you break out of a slump where you're finding yourself second guessing yourself too much? Can some of you just push through to where the luck balances out? Should I be taking a break (coincidentally I have no choice but to take about a three day break starting at the end of tonight), or doing some reviewing of stats? (as I said the hands in themselves look theoretically right for the most part but look like terrible decisions knowing the result).

Thanks!

sthief09
09-29-2004, 05:24 AM
I start to think I suck, like now.

TripleH68
09-29-2004, 05:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I start to think I suck, like now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that emotion, only I suck much worse.

Cerril
09-29-2004, 05:28 AM
hehe, well we all suck relative to someone. When it comes right down to it, my critical error might be having incomplete reads... I was probably playing too strong for my tight opponents and too weak for my loose ones. I usually only have notes for about a third of the table and can only get consistent reads on a few more. Then again, luck accounts for a lot. I always remember the other line from these boards '...good players generally underestimate the influence of luck'

TripleH68
09-29-2004, 05:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
luck accounts for a lot. I always remember the other line from these boards '...good players generally underestimate the influence of luck'

[/ QUOTE ]

I just raised KQ from the CO with five to the flop and turned the nut straight for a nice big pot. Skill? Hell no. I never underestimate the power of luck. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I say "Keep at it." (And try to minimize losses when running bad.)

sthief09
09-29-2004, 05:37 AM
losing sucks, and it's hard to deal with. the winning players who are best at dealing with are the ones who have lost the most, i.e. have played the most. that would lead me to believe that the only way to deal with losses are to keep playing so they have less and less affect on your ego and bankroll...

I take losses as bad or worse than anyone. when it comes to poker, I have no confidence in myself

Pepsquad
09-29-2004, 05:37 AM
When I'm running bad, I start seeing ghosts everywhere (that 6 on the river obviously completed the mircle draw for that schmuck holding 5-7). An exercise I like to do when when I'm running bad and get caught up in key hands is close my eyes and imagine my stack is 5x all others at the table. It allows me to make my decisions based on judgement and not emotion.

bisonbison
09-29-2004, 05:47 AM
Poker is not an easy game. I have played 20,000 3/6 hands this month at a win-rate of X. Last month I played 25,000 3/6 hands at a win-rate of 3X.

I'm not very happy with my results this month, but I'm pretty pleased with the overall quality of my play, and my ability to spot my own mistakes. I know I'm better than your average Party 3/6 player, and other than that "bet into the limp reraiser" post last night, the good players here tend to believe I'm basically on the ball. Yet none of that protects me from the swings.

You just have to accept that poker is defined by variance and the long run is far, far away.

nepenthe
09-29-2004, 06:01 AM
Enjoy your break, don't think about poker during this time, come back and post hands in which you believe you have made decisional mistakes, vis-a-vis a rock or a LAG. Variance is one thing, but if you cannot identify what you may be doing wrong in certain situations, there may be a more fundamental problem regarding your postflop play.

TripleH68
09-29-2004, 06:20 AM
PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

<font color="purple">A different leader on every street!</font>

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="red">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="red">BB caps</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (19.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB caps</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 31.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB has Qh Ah (full house, aces full of queens).
BB has 6c 6s (full house, sixes full of aces).
Hero has Ac 7c (full house, aces full of sevens).
Outcome: SB wins 31.50 BB. </font>