PDA

View Full Version : New Book Schedule

Mason Malmuth
09-29-2004, 04:48 AM
Hi Everyone:

Let me take this opportunity to update where we stand on future books. First however, let me thank everyone who has purchased our new book Small Stakes Hold 'em. It has already become a great success and of course encourages us to do more books.

Here's the way things look right now.

1. The manuscript for Harrington on Hold 'em, Volume I is complete. I'll be meeting with Dan and Bill Robertie this weekend to iron out a few issues, and we now hope to have the book for sale by late November. (This text covers the early and middle stages of no limit hold 'em tournaments.)

2. There will be a Volume II that will cover the late stages of these tournaments. We're projecting it by late spring. There may also be a third workbook to follow.

3. Ed Miller is working on a book tentatively titled Getting Started in Hold 'em. It will be for new players, will cover limit, no limit, and tournaments. We hope to have it shortly after the first of the year.

4. Greg Raymer is working on a book of poker tournament essays. I met with the "Fossilman" a few weeks ago and he said that things were going well with the book. We'll give it top priority as soon as we get the text. But Greg's someone who's in demand right now, (that's what happens when you become world champion) so I'm not sure when the manuscript will be delivered. But we hope to see something shortly after the first of the year.

4. Alan Schoonmaker is finishing up his new book Business is a Poker Game. It's about how to be successful at business using poker tactics. We hope to have it out shortly after the new year.

5. David Sklansky is close to starting work on a new book, probably to be written with Ed Miller, tentatively called Principles of No Limit Hold 'em. This will be on cash games and will be the book that some of you are asking for. It's not 100 percent that it will get done, but I'm betting that it will happen and we could have it by the middle of next year.

6. Ed Miller may still do something along the lines of a poker problem book. However, the two other books mentioned involving him would come first.

6. I have been contacted by several posters on these forums about books they are working on. These include a pot limit Omaha book, and a book on sit-n-go tournaments. I have promised these authors that we will take a serious look at their works and if they meet our standards, we just might go with them.

After all of this is done, I will take a vacation, and may even play some poker.

Best wishes,
Mason

Klaus
09-29-2004, 07:36 AM
I guess this means that no book on shorthanded hold'em is in the works?

Thanks

fnord_too
09-29-2004, 08:57 AM
AWESOME!

BTW, and I hate saying this about a fellow VT Math alum, I have to question your numbering scheme. If you want to get creative, put Fibonacci numbers or something /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Zele
09-29-2004, 08:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
5. David Sklansky is close to starting work on a new book, probably to be written with Ed Miller, tentatively called Principles of No Limit Hold 'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boo-yah!

Luv2DriveTT
09-29-2004, 09:26 AM
From the point of view of a good sound business strategy, I like Ed's priority list. From the point of view of a fairly soild player who wishes to increase his winnings and problem solving abilities, I'd prefer the poker problem book first. But I'm willing to wait!

TT in da club /images/graemlins/club.gif

ctv1116
09-29-2004, 09:52 AM
I guess not, and you should consider that a good thing.

Anadrol 50
09-29-2004, 10:45 AM
I hope #5 comes out, so I can finally learn to play nl cash.

Zele
09-29-2004, 10:46 AM
The HUSH forum is an excellent resource.

jrz1972
09-29-2004, 02:17 PM
Sounds great. Thanks for the update.

DonkeyKong
09-29-2004, 02:48 PM
No Gus Hansen book?? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Easy E
09-29-2004, 02:48 PM
Let me take this opportunity to update where we stand on future books. First however, let me thank everyone who has purchased our new book Small Stakes Hold 'em. It has already become a great success and of course encourages us to do more books.
I've heard Ed will only go by limo now and refuses to talk to "the peasants" any more.

1. The manuscript for Harrington on Hold 'em, Volume I is complete....(This text covers the early and middle stages of no limit hold 'em tournaments.)

Isn't this title a tad misleading, if it's only tournaments?

2. There will be a Volume II that will cover the late stages of these tournaments. We're projecting it by late spring. There may also be a third workbook to follow.

When our children can't go to college because you're bleeding us dry.... "The Death of a Thousand Books"

3. Ed Miller is working on a book tentatively titled Getting Started in Hold 'em.

I will pay CA$H MONEY RIGHT NOW to insure that this book includes a version of the infamous paragraph of David's: "If you don't understand how I got that, put this book down right now."

4. Greg Raymer is working on a book of poker tournament essays.
"Learn to play Poker Poker quickly and smack Mike M" by Fossilman... has a catchy ring

4. Alan Schoonmaker is finishing up his new book Business is a Poker Game. It's about how to be successful at business using poker tactics. We hope to have it out shortly after the new year.

I'll be interested on seeing how it's different than Greg Dinkin's book "The Poker MBA: Winning In Business No Matter What Cards You’re Dealt"

5. David Sklansky is close to starting work on a new book, probably to be written with Ed Miller, tentatively called Principles of No Limit Hold 'em. ... but I'm betting that it will happen and we could have it by the middle of next year.
But will you go all-in with that bet?

6. Ed Miller may still do something along the lines of a poker problem book.
I have some poker problems I'd like a book to solve for me...

6. I have been contacted by several posters on these forums about books they are working on. These include a pot limit Omaha book Sic 'em, Bob!

I will take a vacation, and may even play some poker.

Slacker! Heretic!

Best wishes,
Mason

Yeah, well my banker appreciates your best wishes! Anyone ever taken a third mortgage out for literary purchases?? How much are they paying now for plasma donations, anyway?

Knockwurst
09-29-2004, 04:05 PM
Subtitled: Is it Positive EV?

ZManODS
09-29-2004, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope #5 comes out, so I can finally learn to play nl cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

You and everyone else who picks up the book too.

Easy E
09-29-2004, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

" Or are the reverse implied odds SO poor that you have no choice about betting?"

uw_madtown
09-30-2004, 01:17 AM
I was just about to ask about this (specifically about Harrington and Fossilman's books). This sounds outstanding -- at my current rate, I'll be out of poker books to buy by then. Keep up the great work.

Gordon Scott
09-30-2004, 11:25 AM
I'm sure the line is very long but I'ld like to Volunteer to proof read the Harrington book.

LOL

Best of Luck with what will be on of the best selling poker books of all time.

Mason Malmuth
09-30-2004, 07:34 PM
Hi Gordon:

We're not at that stage just yet, and yes, the line is long.

Best wishes,
mason

Chris Daddy Cool
09-30-2004, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
5. David Sklansky is close to starting work on a new book, probably to be written with Ed Miller, tentatively called Principles of No Limit Hold 'em. This will be on cash games and will be the book that some of you are asking for. It's not 100 percent that it will get done, but I'm betting that it will happen and we could have it by the middle of next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't realize Ed was such an expert in No Limit as to write a book in it.

sillyarms
10-05-2004, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pump that bad boy out!!!

silly /images/graemlins/grin.gif

stir
10-05-2004, 02:07 PM

nolanfan34
10-05-2004, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't realize Ed was such an expert in No Limit as to write a book in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has degrees from MIT, what more do you need to know?

Seriously though, I'd like to hear Ed comment on this, I was also under the impression that he was mostly a limit guy. Certainly couldn't have been playing NL ring at the Muck back in his Seattle days...

MRBAA
10-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Small buy in, small blind cash n/l hold'em games are the fastest growing form of poker in the NYC clubs right now. I just finished the Pocket Idiot's Guide to Hold'em, aimed at new players. We originally weren't planning to discuss n/l cash play at all, but ended up putting in a fairly long section. I don't know if n/l play will continue to grow, but right now it's red hot.

tek
10-06-2004, 08:40 AM
Why do you have two #4 items and two #6 items on your list?

LeapingGnome
10-06-2004, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the update, sounds ambitious, looking forward to them!

Mayhap
10-06-2004, 09:41 PM
If you have a book by Harrington, I'll buy it in a heartbeat.
But ...
Does it include a section on pre-game hat selection?
If it does, do I have to follow the advise?

Thanks for you great line of books,

/M

flair1239
10-08-2004, 04:56 PM
Mason,

I think what is really needed is SSH type books for other games. For instance O8. I think this game is really starting to increase in popularity. However there is not much literature on it (Granted I have not read Zee's book, but I have a feeling that I am not ready for it).

These books could be kind of primers for your Advanced series. Could do Omaha, Omaha 8 and 7-stud.

Granted there is not as big of a market as there is for SSH. But all those games have a small stakes presence on the internet.

Also this is a niche that you guys don't have filled. When I went to buy a book on O8, I had to choose between Krieger/Tennor and Ken Warren. The Krieger books seems ok, but I place alot more faith in the 2+2 authors.

For 7-stud I had to buy Roy West's book. Again, I don't know these authors well.

I just think a Small Stakes/beginners series would have a real market.

scalf
10-08-2004, 06:13 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif..gr8 news mason::

you can be sure i will buy two of everything;

you'd be amazed at what a good gift they make to a fellow poker player who might just be going thru a rough time...

lol
or just needs refreshing;;

gl

/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Mason Malmuth
10-08-2004, 06:39 PM
Hi flair:

What you're proposing is actually a pretty good idea. We'll keep it in mind for sometime in the future, but I can't promise anything.

Best wishes,
Mason

Jake (The Snake)
10-10-2004, 02:32 AM
Ed is obviously a tremendously intelligent guy, but I too am surprised to hear this. I seem to remember reading a post of his joking about "unleashing his incredible NL game" or something to that effect.

tubbyspencer
10-10-2004, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

" Or are the reverse implied odds SO poor that you have no choice about betting?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations Easy. You've written the first ever funny poker/religeon post. Hehe. Actually Lolled, I did.

BarronVangorToth
10-10-2004, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For 7-stud I had to buy Roy West's book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, c'mon in, I just made up a batch of my famous five-alarm chili. And the missus be makin' some cornbread for dippin'. Why don't you hunker on down and we can chat for a spell...?

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

MicroBob
10-11-2004, 06:30 AM
This is all awesome stuff and I will definitely be buying one of each.
My Dad knows very little about poker but worked in the business world and is especially sharp at the stock-market...thus he doesn't worry about his son playing poker as a career because he understands that if you push a 51% edge often enough you will end up ahead in the long-run.

I think the Schoonmaker book could be very interesting to business/corporate/stock-investing type people like my Dad who don't play poker at all and barely follow it on TV.

js13_tps
10-11-2004, 11:02 AM
after the response to David's simple nlhe tourney question will the poker problem workbook get bumped up a bit?

LeapingGnome
10-12-2004, 03:53 PM
Perhaps Ed is contributing mostly his "writing style" / conceptual / organizational skills - all the talk about SSH being one of the easiest-to-read and cleanest poker books written.