PDA

View Full Version : To Sklansky (David), Malmuth and all other poker know it alls!

Vince Lepore
09-29-2004, 03:52 AM
A Satisfactory Philosophy of Ignorance

When the scientist tells you he does not know the answer, he is an ignorant man. When he tells you he has a hunch about how it is going to work, he is uncertain about it. When he is pretty sure of how it is going to work, and he tells you, "This is the way it is going to work, I'll bet," he still is in some doubt. And it is of paramount importance, in order to make progress, that we recognize this ignorance and this doubt. Because we have the doubt, we then propose looking in new directions for new ideas. The rate of the development of science is not the rate at which you make observations alone but, much more important, the rate at which you create new things to test.
If we were not able or did not desire to look in any new direction, if we did not have a doubt or recognize ignorance, we would not get any new ideas. There would be nothing worth checking, because we would know what is true. So what we call scientific knowledge today is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty. Some of them are most unsure; some of them are nearly sure; but none is absolutely certain. Scientists are used to this. We know that it is consistent to be able to live and not know. Some people say, "How can you live without knowing?" I do not know what they mean. I always live without knowing. That is easy. How you get to know is what I want to know.
This freedom of doubt is an important matter in the sciences and, I believe, in other fields. It was born of a struggle. It was a struggle to be permitted to doubt, to be unsure. And I do not want us to forget the importance of the struggle and, by default, to let the thing fall away. I feel a responsibility as a scientist who knows the great value of a satisfactory philosophy of ignorance, and the progress made possible by such a philosophy, progress which is the fruit of freedom of thought. I feel a responsibility to proclaim the value of this freedom and to teach that doubt is not to be feared, but that it is to be welcomed as the possibility of a new potential for human beings. If you know that you are not sure, you have a chance to improve the situation. I want to demand this freedom for future generations."

- Richard Feynman

Errr. ...I mean Vince Lepore /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Demana
09-29-2004, 02:03 PM
"If you know that you are not sure, you have a chance to improve the situation."

Sweet! Now I can justify rivering someone! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

andyfox
09-29-2004, 03:19 PM
I dont' play internet poker, but I notice somebody posted that Party dealt it's one billionth hand recently. One billion hands.

So there must be some people who are closer to being a poker no-it-all than they were before we had the internet.

Vince Lepore
09-29-2004, 03:38 PM
Andy Fox? Hmmmm... now where have I heard that name before? Must be one of those I guys I listen to because he knows what he's talking about. Don't you hate those guys!

Vince /images/graemlins/smile.gif

metsmaniac823
09-30-2004, 04:15 PM
I thought Andy Fox was a pinch-runner / utility infielder on the Florida Marlins?

cjmewett
09-30-2004, 10:40 PM
Texas Rangers

FrankLu99
09-30-2004, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"If you know that you are not sure, you have a chance to improve the situation."

Sweet! Now I can justify rivering someone! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
HAHAHAHQAHAAHAHAHAHAHQ
kheekehheehelehehehekehehe

DrPhysic
10-02-2004, 12:11 PM
How darest thou question the holy scripture?

Knowest thou not that the holy poker books are to be memorized and quoted chapter and verse? Didst thou not read and memorize the stone tablet brought down from on high by the prophet David, which quoteth in the third chapter: “Every time you play a hand differently from the way you would have played it……”

How dare thou imply the corollary that if the game is a zero sum game of incomplete information, then the operator’s manual must also forever be a work of incomplete information?

Thinkest thou in your chosen ignorance that simple thought can devise a new idea, add a chapter to the holy books that will allow you to beat the lords and prophets that authored the scriptures?

How darest thou imply that READING is NOT a spectator sport?

DrPhysic

JimandAnne
10-02-2004, 02:16 PM
"Its one thing to be resolute and its another thing to be resolute and be wrong!"

John Kerry

scalf
10-02-2004, 09:30 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif you oughtta demand your forum back;;

this place has gone str8 to hades since vince (the forum) ceased existence...

gl

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif

Vince Lepore
10-02-2004, 11:14 PM
Thanks scalf but you know and so do I that this Forum is tops the way it is.

Vince /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Vince Lepore
10-02-2004, 11:17 PM
"I know it was Osama Bin Laden, of course I know that"

George Bush -

tolbiny
10-03-2004, 12:11 PM
"Of course i have done everything possible to make america safer"

Goerge Bush

goofball
10-03-2004, 01:18 PM
what exactly are you trying to say with this quote?

Vince Lepore
10-03-2004, 04:56 PM
"what exactly are you trying to say with this quote? "

Exactly? I've never been precise about anything I've said in my whole life. Why should I start now. I guess if I'm trying to say anything at all its, "By any means necessary".

Vince

goofball
10-04-2004, 07:37 PM
what does that mean?

BillUCF
10-04-2004, 11:06 PM
"Its one thing to not be resolute and its another thing to not be resolute and be correct"

John Kerry (the next day)

RayGarlington
10-05-2004, 09:16 AM
you must be a politician to understand it; therefore, stick to poker.