PDA

View Full Version : Always raise with AA?

TripleH68
09-29-2004, 02:55 AM
PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

This game had been so tight. Several UTG raises had gotten no action. Less than 20% to the flop in the last hour. So here goes...

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
Hero calls, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (5.33 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.66 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

River: (7.66 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

And there goes my chips...I will wear the dunce cap for one hour. Thank you. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Final Pot: 11.66 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has Ah Ac (three of a kind, aces).
CO has Qc Qs (straight, ace high).
Outcome: CO wins 11.66 BB. </font>

ErrantNight
09-29-2004, 03:02 AM
raise preflop. 3-bet his reraise. bet the flop. 3-bet if possible. rinse, repeat.

it's not likely you're ever gonna get somebody off QQ... but an AK flop is damn sure one of those times... and isn't it a helluva lot better to win a small pot than lose a big one like this?

exist
09-29-2004, 04:27 AM
the preflop call is fine. i would often reraise preflop but calling is fine too. i think checkraising the flop allows you to induce a lot of action on the flop without hurting your chances for action on the turn. you will often get 3 bets in on the flop and 2 or more bets in on the turn this way. with the action as it went down, the turn and river was fine.

Danenania
09-29-2004, 04:34 AM
I think limp-reraise then play it fast is the standard alternative to initially raising AA in a TA game. I think the line you took doesn't extract enough value and risks giving too many free cards.

Also, not a great idea to include the results in a post. You'll get better responses without them.

If your opponents are so observant they will automatically put you on AA-KK when you limp reraise, you can try limp reraising with a hand like JTs on occasion to mix up your play.

sthief09
09-29-2004, 04:42 AM
switch tables

ErrantNight
09-29-2004, 04:56 AM
way too tired to be posting... ignored your table descriptions... c/r the flop if you don't want to limp/raise preflop...

Cerril
09-29-2004, 05:37 AM
I believe the line here is to almost always raise PF with AA, limp-reraise is an excellent option (in fact, I'd never call a raise after I limp), but to also raise with a much larger selection of hands PF... if AA gets folded to WSF, then maybe some lower quality suited connectors will be too.

bisonbison
09-29-2004, 05:53 AM
You're out of position. Either follow through on the preflop limp-reraise or c/r the flop.