PDA

View Full Version : Movie Review: Infernal Affairs

mikech
09-29-2004, 02:15 AM
Since Ray in the "Garden State" thread asked for more film reviews, I figured I'd throw one in. This movie's only in limited release right now (NY and LA, I saw it here in Manhattan over the weekend) but hopefully Miramax will release it wide soon. In any case, it's long been available on DVD, Miramax sat on the movie so long that a prequel and a sequel have been made (I think you can get those on DVD too). Or, I suppose you could wait until the remake comes out, Scorsese's directing it. On to my review:

This is one of the best crime dramas I've seen in a long time. The story of the undercover cop has been told and retold, but this movie adds an entirely new twist. Tony Leung plays a cop who's spent ten years undercover, infiltrating Hong Kong triads; his counterpart is Andy Lau who's a high-ranking officer in the police department--but in fact he's a mole, planted years ago in cadet school, by the same crime boss that Leung is now working under. So they are two men leading parallel yet opposite lives, one working to take down this drug gang by providing inside information while the other thwarts police stings through internal sabotage. Like many films of Hong Kong cinema, the familiar themes of loyalty and betrayal drive this picture. We see each man battling his own demons and conscience as well as battling wits and guile, and in the end we have a devastating climax that I hope Hollywood doesn't wuss out on and change (I won't divulge any spoilers).

The acting is superb, the cinematography is gorgeous, the action and intrigue are explosive and riveting--what more could you want in a movie? Go out and see this immediately if it's playing at a theater near you. Like I mentioned, Scorsese's doing a remake that you can wait for, with DiCaprio and Damon in the lead roles from what I've read. I'm not too thrilled with the choice of those two actors, however; they both look too young, and DiCaprio in particular I doubt can carry the emotional weight his part demands. I just hope Scorsese manages to do justice to the original.

nicky g
09-29-2004, 06:52 AM
Very good film. The sequel (which is actually a prequel, focusing on the gangster and chief inspector when they were younger) is also good, but a bit disappointing in comparison.

Ray Zee
09-29-2004, 09:56 AM
thanks i will put it on my list here by the computer.