View Full Version : Stud8 pre-4th street question

B Mando
09-29-2004, 12:32 AM
In a medium stakes table, with average players, when you get really good hands and are the first in the pot with the exception of the bring-in do most of you guys raise?

Andy B
09-29-2004, 01:25 AM
I don't know what an average player is anymore. It depends on what kind of really good hand I have. If it's Aces, I'll usually raise right away. If it's a quality three-card low with some two-way potential, I'll raise coming in if the game's loose, but I'll tend to limp possibly with the intention of re-raising, if the game is tight.

PoorLawyer
09-29-2004, 11:45 AM
I agree about just limping in with a quality low, but would like some explanation of the reasoning behind it. My best guess is that it is a drawing hand like a flush or straight draw in stud hi so you want to keep people in to build up the pot and also not invest too much in case you brick?

Do you usually want to keep other low draws in the hand? It seems like you would, but if you catch an 8 along the way it could backfire pretty easily

mmcd
09-29-2004, 03:55 PM
The thing about Stud/8 is that early errors tend to compound themselves later in the hand and often wind up being very costly. I think in typical mid-limit games and even in some of the more lively high-limit games, theres a certain range of hands that they typical players would play for the bring-in, but not for a full bet. If they pair up and/or catch some reasonable draw to a 7 or the like, they end up going to the river. Also as you get more opponents in the pot, more opportunities to checkraise/raise and generally trap present themselves.

Many Stud/8 players play their marginal hands very poorly on later streets and this is why you would want to limp upfront with your good drawing hands in some games.

Andy B
09-30-2004, 03:12 AM
If I have a very good three-card low, I don't mind putting in two or three bets on third street. I frequently limp early with such a hand and then re-raise when it comes back to me. I do this to get more money in with the best hand. Sometimes, it ties me on when I'd rather not be tied on, and it is discouraging to put in $90 on third street and have to fold on fourth, but such is life. In hold'em, you will often raise with AK, miss, and have to check and fold the flop. This does not make your pre-flop raise any less correct. If you only raise with big pairs in this game, you will be too easy to read.

I also like raising big/live three-flushes in high-only stud.

Ray Zee
09-30-2004, 06:51 PM
there are many reasons to raise or not. most are not hand dependent. mason wrote in one of his books reasons to raise. look it up. i dont remember where it was. but it is good to refresh it in your mine if you are learning.

B Mando
09-30-2004, 09:22 PM
I think I am starting to understand this game...I have tommorow(Friday) off, and I am planning on playing an all day Stud8 session on Pokerstars...I will keep ya updated! I feel confident...wish me luck!

Andy B
10-01-2004, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I am starting to understand this game...

[/ QUOTE ]

Must be nice. All I have is the assurance that my opponents understand this game even less than I do.