PDA

View Full Version : weak tight?

rybones
09-28-2004, 11:18 PM
I am the big stack here. Should I call?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB (t2635)
UTG (t1895)
MP1 (t2245)
Hero (t2390)
CO (t785)
Button (t1035)
SB (t2515)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t150, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to t785</font>,

Now I don't want to cause anyone to have an 80's flash back, but "should I stay or should I go" if I go there could be trouble? If I stay it could be double? or is it the other way around?

thanks for any and all comments.

how I actually played below in white

<font color="white"> I did fold so those of you ready to say this is just a bad beat post can now berate me for being a wuss. Which is fine as long as you tell me why I am a wuss. </font>

durron597
09-28-2004, 11:20 PM
The way I would play this hand is to raise to 400. I would then call the CO's push. However, given that you only limped, you have no idea whether you have the best hand here or not.

wjmooner
09-28-2004, 11:46 PM
So I've got to let you know...

I raise to 450 here preflop to take it down and am thus pot committed to any push from the short stack. As is you have to put in an extra 650 to win almost 1900 and I think you're the favorite or racing against an underpair at least half the time.

Even if he's tight he's pushing with any pair, AK-A7, and various other broadway this short stacked.

Needless to say, this indecision's bugging me /images/graemlins/smile.gif. I Call.

Chris

ilya
09-29-2004, 01:06 AM
I presume it's folded around to you (?).

1160 in the pot, 635 to you. Let's see....beep bepp blpoop....about 1.8:1 odds. Let's say this fellow is tight, but not uber-tight...so after a limper he's pushing with the top 10% of hands. Against that range, your AJo is a 1.4:1 dog. Looks like a call to me, especially since his pushing range is probably more like 'top 15%' (against which you're even money).

Cheers,
ilya

p.s. I think I would also raise to 400-450 instead of limping. The blinds are juicy enough, and it looks like I'm calling a short-stack all-in anyhow.

p.p.s. It also helps that you'll still have a reasonable stack even if you lose.

DrPhysic
09-29-2004, 01:48 AM
Ry,
Remember that if you had been one or two places earlier (utg or mp1) this hand is a FOLD. It's just not that strong a hand. If you are going to play it from late mp, you can't limp. The people that are saying 450 pf are right imo. He may not make the bet at all and just hand you the blinds. now:

HU against a short stack who has a much wider range of hands that he will push with, it IS a pretty good hand. I would have called the push.

Doc

Solitare
09-29-2004, 02:20 PM
I don't understand why a number of you are suggesting a 450 pre-flop raise with the intention to call a re-raise all-in.

If you plan to call a re-raise all-in, why not push pre-flop and increase your fold equity? I'm not sure I want any callers to my AJo.

Sam T.
09-29-2004, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why a number of you are suggesting a 450 pre-flop raise with the intention to call a re-raise all-in.

If you plan to call a re-raise all-in, why not push pre-flop and increase your fold equity? I'm not sure I want any callers to my AJo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody's saying he should call ANY all-in, just one from the short-stack. If someone with a stack that can do real damage pushes, he can fold.

rybones
09-29-2004, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nobody's saying he should call ANY all-in, just one from the short-stack. If someone with a stack that can do real damage pushes, he can fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I limped. I figured if I saw a raise from another big stack I could stay out of a fight or not depending on my read. However, if a small stack raised it I could call and see a flop. My read on the pusher was that he wasn't the type to push as he had not yet pushed prior to this hand. The push made me run with my tail between my legs and now I still don't know if this was the right move. My thought was that I was ep and I wanted to see what others did first. I am still not convinced that the raise to 450 is a great idea, but for me that is moot because I didn't. So, I still want to know -- should I have called?

Gator
09-29-2004, 03:06 PM
Because you want the small blind (785) to know that he's playing for all of his chips if he gets involved and has no fold equity from a raise, but you also want to be able to get away from the hand in case the Small blind (2K+) has a monster and comes over the top.

rybones
09-29-2004, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Because you want the small blind (785) to know that he's playing for all of his chips if he gets involved and has no fold equity from a raise, but you also want to be able to get away from the hand in case the Small blind (2K+) has a monster and comes over the top.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this answer. Thanks!!!!!!

Ryan

ilya
09-29-2004, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really understand the point about the small stack...if you are going to call him anyhow, wouldn't you rather he believed that he *could* push you off your hand? (i.e., don't you want him to push with a wider rather than a narrower range of hands?)

wjmooner
09-29-2004, 03:33 PM
Ilya's post is the reason to call. He's short stacked and is pushing with any pair, some broadway connections, some aces that dominate you and some that you dominate.

Lots of dead money in the pot and you are most likely even against his range of hands.

Tough situation, but I call.
C

Sam T.
09-29-2004, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really understand the point about the small stack...if you are going to call him anyhow, wouldn't you rather he believed that he *could* push you off your hand? (i.e., don't you want him to push with a wider rather than a narrower range of hands?)

[/ QUOTE ]

The idea is that if you raise PF, he is less likely to push. AJo is not a hand that is begging for action, even from a short-stack. If I'm in the short-stack's position and have a limper in front of me, I'm pushing with many more hands than if someone raises.

Maybe we just have different goals here. It sounds like you want to trap the short-stack with AJ. I want to take down the blinds.

ilya
09-29-2004, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If I'm in the short-stack's position and have a limper in front of me, I'm pushing with many more hands than if someone raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true, but I like that! My AJo is much more likely to be a favorite in this spot.

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe we just have different goals here. It sounds like you want to trap the short-stack with AJ. I want to take down the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's it, more or less.

Eder
09-29-2004, 06:41 PM
I agree w Doc...raise it or muck it...but I call the push sice you have him covered and likely the better hand