PDA

View Full Version : So Kerry Backers, Riddle me this???

Dr Wogga
09-28-2004, 07:42 PM
.....why the lead for Bush? And, if you were one of his trusted advisors, how would you attempt to win this election, as unlikely as that it appears at this point?

natedogg
09-28-2004, 09:48 PM
I despise Kerry but I know how he can win the election.

Quit and let Edwards run as the candidate. Edwards would win in a landslide.

As to why Bush has the lead now? I guess people are stupid enough to think there's a significant difference between the two?

natedogg

hetron
09-28-2004, 09:58 PM
Appear halfway intelligent and sharp during the debates. If he gets longwinded and boring, he has no shot. He needs to appear smarter than Bush without looking insulting.
The debates are Bush's vulnerable spots. He was able to escape relatively unscathed in 2000, mostly because he came across as folksy and Gore came across as uninspiring. To do the trick during these debates, Kerry has to defeat Bush with both style and substance. It's not an impossible task- after all, Kerry appears to be fairly intelligent and even boring people can learn to be sharp and witty for short stints.

tolbiny
09-28-2004, 10:40 PM
.....why the lead for Bush?

Because most people have form impressions (not opinions) on political figures. Impressions are emotional attachments and are very hard to break, ever know someone who wouldn't break up with a boy/girlfriend who treated them badly? thisis one of the reasons, you have to make a decided choice to break off the emotional attachment.
Kerry has made no such connection (not enough of one) so when he managed to pull to even at his peak he didn't have a grasp on the fringe of his supporters and they quickly lost interest. Bush on the other hand has made an impression becuae of his rehtoric/scare tactics (as i see them) and also his "stay the course" attitude. Because of his attitude you don't ever have to admit you were wrong as long as you continue to agree with him. Bush has never stood up and said he was wrong about anything. IMO this is one of his flaws as a president (but one of his strengths as a candidate).

What does kerry have to do? He needs to make an emotional connection to the undecided voters and allow themselves to feel good about voting for him, and not have to worry about him not being a strong leader. He needs to come across as a strong intelligent person, who people can trust our national security with and he needs to forget about all his attempts at justifying everything/continually explaining everything. People have to want to vote for him, its a popularity contest and he (appears) to go round telling everyone how smart he is.

MelchyBeau
09-28-2004, 10:42 PM
I'll be watching the presidential debates, but I imagine the better debates are going to be the VP debates.

The presidential debates aren't all that great. They get a list of the topics before hand.

Of all four of these people, I believe that Edwards is the best orator of them all.

Melch

GWB
09-28-2004, 10:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
.....why the lead for Bush?

Because most people have form impressions (not opinions) on political figures. Impressions are emotional attachments and are very hard to break, ever know someone who wouldn't break up with a boy/girlfriend who treated them badly? thisis one of the reasons, you have to make a decided choice to break off the emotional attachment.
Kerry has made no such connection (not enough of one) so when he managed to pull to even at his peak he didn't have a grasp on the fringe of his supporters and they quickly lost interest. Bush on the other hand has made an impression becuae of his rehtoric/scare tactics (as i see them) and also his "stay the course" attitude. Because of his attitude you don't ever have to admit you were wrong as long as you continue to agree with him. Bush has never stood up and said he was wrong about anything. IMO this is one of his flaws as a president (but one of his strengths as a candidate).

What does kerry have to do? He needs to make an emotional connection to the undecided voters and allow themselves to feel good about voting for him, and not have to worry about him not being a strong leader. He needs to come across as a strong intelligent person, who people can trust our national security with and he needs to forget about all his attempts at justifying everything/continually explaining everything. People have to want to vote for him, its a popularity contest and he (appears) to go round telling everyone how smart he is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good points. Just agreeing with a candidate is not enough, you got to feel comfortable with them. Here's an article on this point. (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=694&ncid=703&e=1&u=/ap/20040929/ap_on_el_pr/ap_poll_persuadables)