PDA

View Full Version : PP $30+3 77 on the Bubble

SmileyEH
09-28-2004, 05:21 PM
Been 4 handed for a while now, all the players seemed pretty reasonable - I hadn't seen anyone get really out of line.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed)

UTG (t1434)
Button (t2835)
SB (t1761)
Hero (t1970)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t475</font>, Button folds, SB calls t375,

What action do you like here? I think the decision is pretty straightforward, but I'm not entirely sure.

-SmileyEH

Jason Strasser
09-28-2004, 05:32 PM
Straightforward?

Well, I'll say I have 2 good options.

1) Fold. You really are not getting enough value to play set or fold. (Maybe it's close, just my instincts.) So there is no reason to get involved really.

2) Push. You have a hand that is going to be in a small-favorite/big-dog situation, but look at where you are. You can use the bubble as your friend here, you have both opponents covered and they are not pot committed.

I like option 1 better, but I could see a decent argument for 2.

-Jason

rachelwxm
09-28-2004, 05:53 PM
It is very player dependent. First of all I am surprised that Button does not resteal from the first place since UTG is not quite commited. Now if UTG undertand this concept well, then he must have a very strong pair and are not afraid to call all in from anyone. Sometimes I would limp or small raise with big pocket pairs on the bubble for a trap. If that's the case, you are very behind.
Good thing is that you have both covered and you have an oppotunity to resteal. Bad thing is that you are not sure if this is a trap. Sb could well slow play big pairs too.
It's a tough one, but imo folding is not a bad idea since one of them will be short stacked after that hand no matter what.

Solitare
09-29-2004, 09:56 AM
My read of your T475 pre-flop bet is that you are between strategies. I think there are a variety of possible plays here that are dictated by what strategy you want to persue before and after the flop.

- Set Value -- If you are playing the hand hoping to flop a set, you limp rather than mini-raise.
- Blind Steal (minimal risk) -- If you want to steal the blinds, but don't want to risk your entire stack, I think you need to come in for a raise of 3-4BB. Since your stack is right around the 10BB level you are on the edge for having a big enough stack to make a big bet without pushing. Following this strategy of minimum risk, though, you will fold to a re-raise. If you plan on going all-in on a reraise, you follow the next strategy.
- Blind Steal with possible best hand -- Push all in. You will be satisfied to just get the blind, but if you do get called, you like your chances with your medium pair.

I think your raise of only T475 puts you inbetween these viable strategies. The mini-raise signals weakness and gives the BB more hands that he can call with. I don't think you want to see a flop unless you push since you will probably get at least 2 overcards and will face a tough post flop decision.

rachelwxm
09-29-2004, 10:35 AM
Once I looked at this more closely, you are getting 1:5.1 to flop a set, and your chance of hitting a set on the flop is 1:7.5. Considering you will definitely get paid more when 7 comes on the flop, calling is better idea.
So my order of choices:
calling (check fold on flop if 7 does not come)
folding
pushing

It's always interesting to analyze situation like this. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

chill888
09-29-2004, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Been 4 handed for a while now, all the players seemed pretty reasonable - I hadn't seen anyone get really out of line.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed)

UTG (t1434)
Button (t2835)
SB (t1761)
Hero (t1970)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t475</font>, Button folds, SB calls t375,

What action do you like here? I think the decision is pretty straightforward, but I'm not entirely sure.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO, this is an EASY fold. Principally because you are on the bubble and two players are "almost" in a cat fight to the death. There is a very good chance you cash this hand.

Avoid. 77 ain't much against 2 others. the caller must have something and while one might fold to a raise, there is no way two will.

When people fight on the bubble, the non combatants are the winners. Fold and enjoy the rest of the hand.

gl

wjmooner
09-29-2004, 11:18 AM
I second Chill. Easy fold. With 1150 in the pot before you push I don't think you get both of them to fold on a push and I think at best you race, at worst you are crushed by an overpair.

Chris

SmileyEH
09-29-2004, 12:41 PM
I was in the BB.

-SmileyEH

SmileyEH
09-29-2004, 12:45 PM
Thanks for all the responses confirming that folding was the best option. I hadn't considered calling, but I see know that it is a viable option for set value.

This hand is an example of a part of my game I'm trying to work on - that is over aggression when 5 and 4 handed. When I saw the small non-pot-comitting raise by UTG I figured it would be a great place to steal (and I think it is against 1 opponent), but I had not taken note of the cold call in the SB.

Anyway, I raised all in and UTG folded (as I expected), but the SB called with QQ and no surprises came. I can see now that it is a clear fold if the raise is any bigger, and with the pot odds I'm getting a call is also a good option.

-SmileyEH

rachelwxm
09-29-2004, 12:53 PM
If you put UTG as steal, the sb's call smells like a trap unless he is LAG cs. However, he does offer you odds to chase the set on the flop and with the right cards on the flop you can fight back on him.
/images/graemlins/cool.gif