PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos - who has them?

08-26-2002, 05:20 AM
so, i was thinking about getting a tattoo. one of my artsy friends is working on a design with me. some weird sort of tribalesque thing centered around the shape of the four suits (hearts, clubs, spades, diamonds). it might be cheesy, and im real hesitant about some permanent image on my body.

but, i was wondering if anybody on here had tats and what they were of, where, and whether or not you were happy with them.

just a general comment on tattoos is ok too.

08-26-2002, 09:28 AM
When shopping for a good game I always look for people with lots of tatoo,s.A sure indication of low low intelligence.Also a person that smokes and has tatoo,s is usually exceptionally poor in making good decisions and is really good for the game.

08-26-2002, 10:17 AM
baggins - Babe says "nay" to tats. Just think of how weird that skin will look when you get older. All shriveled up with the ace of spades kinda folded in half over the king of hearts. Yuck. Go for a temporary one instead. LGPG and no tats. Babe

08-26-2002, 11:16 AM
You'll like it for a couple of days, be bored with it after two weeks, then have fifty years to figure out what you were thinking. Listen to Babe and Broyle: LGPG - no tats.

08-26-2002, 11:59 AM
While neither my wife nor I have one, She has stated that she would like to get a barcode tatooed on her Butt. I like it. She can get scanned at the supermarket. Just have to decide what the code to put on there.

08-26-2002, 12:04 PM
I have a tattoo on my shoulder. I also smoke. Both are the residue of a wayward adolescence.

These days I'm an executive at a technology company. I still like my tattoo because it makes me seem rougher and more exotics than the corporate types I hobnob with. I cultivate a colorful image and I've had good success with it.

Of course, there's nothing magical about a tattoo. Just keep in mind, when you are old and wrinkly, you aren't going to look that good anyway.

I would advise against a design that has obvious literal symbolism. If you're going to get one, create a design that could be explained in a number of different ways so that you can interpret it as needed, as your crowd and tastes change.

Yes, tattoos are sort of low class, but there's something romantic about a successful person who came from a tough background.

I guess what I'm saying is, I wouldn't go get one now because I'm not the sort of person who gets tatoos anymore. I don't regret the one I have though.

08-26-2002, 12:08 PM
"but there's something romantic about a successful person who came from a tough background". AMEN! Now, since you are successful, please stop smoking /images/smile.gif Nice post. Babe

08-26-2002, 12:15 PM
One word of advice re: tats. If you have a big swastika on one side of your neck and an iron cross on the other side, a ski mask will not help you in an armed robbery. Also do not tattoo your name on your neck if you are going to commit crimes. You want to be able to cover your tattoos with less than a scuba outfit. FWIW.

08-26-2002, 12:58 PM

08-26-2002, 12:58 PM
My girlfriend actually has a couple of tatoos. One is a little Tweety Bird on her ankle(It's kind of cute.), and the other is a lion head on the back of her shoulder(It is interesting, but a little odd). She is in her 30's and little miss straight laced now, but she got the tats when she was a 20 something wild child... lol. I have to admit, I don't particularly care for them, but I can live with it. I was right on the verge of getting a tat myself a couple of years ago, but I opted for an ear ring instead; I can be cool and non comformist, but I can also take it out.. lol

Fitz

08-26-2002, 01:32 PM

08-26-2002, 03:15 PM
I am of above-average intelligence, but I chose to decorate my body with three tribal tattoos (with at least one more to come). Oftentimes, I get compliments on them, and it makes me feel good. No harm, no foul.

FYI: Tattoos aren't just for convicts anymore. Generation X is more open-minded than its predecessors and freedom of expression is of high value.

08-26-2002, 03:31 PM
I was going to get one, but then I read Ken Warren's Hold 'Em book and learned that only bad players have tatoos!

In all honesty, get one if you want, they have become so unbiquitous that you are hardly making a statement by having one. Working on a college campus, I'd estimate that between 1/3 and 1/2 of all college age kids have one and for the 20-something crowd they don't even merit casual conversation at a party. Getting a tattoo today is a way of fitting in, not standing out.

Maybe $50 invested in a laser removal business will turn a nice profit in 20 years.

Paul

08-26-2002, 04:32 PM
baggins,

Go for it! I have 2 poker related tattoos: One is AcAs with flames on my bicep, the other is card suits on my forearm. I love them both and never regret them. I consider myself young at heart and adventurous and never consider that I will look at them and cringe. I think tattoos are beautiful when the designs and inks are good and they are well thought out. My fiancee has a huge one that covers nearly her whole stomach and looks fantastic. We will both certainly get more.

Work out a good design, find an artist you trust and go for it! Life is too short to worry about what you might regret when you are older. I have a friend who is a successful doctor (and female) who is getting tattooed at 50. Its all about your mindset--mine says tattoes can add to people's beauty and express individuality in ways other things can't. If you feel the same then you will enjoy yours forever.

KJS

08-26-2002, 05:23 PM
No, not my client. But he is doing an indeterminate life. (He represented himself through prelim then got a public defender for trial. I thought he did better pro se.) His tattoos are not representative, as I don't think baggins is going to get somebody in the AB to do them with a homemade rig. Prison neck tattoos are not real subtle.

08-26-2002, 07:48 PM
rotating thru the er in med school...it was amazing how many people who showed up at the er after a mva or violent altercation, that it had to be of and by itself a significant predictor of increased probability of trauma.....some argue a small unobtrusive tatoo does not qualify...but the head of the er shift i worked on felt any tatoo qualified for...the positive tatoo predictor...take it for what it's worth..of and by itself..you take chances unnecessarily if you have a tatoo..jmho..gl

08-26-2002, 09:13 PM
I almost got one when I was 18, almost 4 decades ago.. Today I'm very happy I didn't. My daughter(who I'm proud of )got one as soon as she turned 18. I think it looks rather silly.

Today when I see someone young with a tattoo I think follower. I realize I am stereotyping.

08-26-2002, 11:00 PM
I've got one on each arm; one a family coat of arms thing I'd planned for years, the other something I got just on the spur because I wanted another one. In the military 16 years ago, drunk both times, love the first[although I'd get it on my shldr instead of bicep now], hate the second one.

Planning is the key, along with seeing the artist working on someone, or people they've done, not just pictures in a book.

A tribal band with jagged, distorted suit icons sounds very cool. Just don't get it too small[they blur & blend together].

Don't hurt much, and addictive, esp. if you know lotsa people gettin' 'em. The needle has a strangely compelling and unique buzz. There was a time where had I had the money, I'da got a lot more. Gotta friend who went berserk, not enough planning, although some of his stuff is way cool...

08-27-2002, 12:51 AM
"The needle has a strangely compelling and unique buzz. There was a time where had I had the money, I'da got a lot more" Hmmmm... and what else was in those needles, cutie? /images/wink.gif. When you coming to visit? Maybe we can Tatoo Babe's name on your......shoulder? Ha /images/smile.gif /images/biggrin.gif. Hope all is well. LGPG, Babe

08-27-2002, 02:58 AM
Think about it, get a temporary with the same design and see how it looks. Think about it some more. If the idea still appeals to you, by all means do it! The only regrets I have about tattoos is that when I was younger I was too much of a pu**y to get one. Like someone else here said though, nowadays it makes you blend in rather than stand out. This is the Western Renaissance of body art so now that every young exec. wants one, you won't be alone. Of course most of them get theirs where their clothes cover them.

08-27-2002, 04:14 AM
well, i smoke, and you'd be surprised looking at me that i DONT have a tat. yet, i'll bet i make better decisions than you think. stereotyping in such a foolish way will get you nowhere fast in this world.

08-27-2002, 04:17 AM
i have an earring that i got when i first went to college like 6 years ago. i haven't taken it out in over 5 years. sometimes i forget that its there. i wonder if people react to it ever. certainly not outwardly...

08-27-2002, 04:29 AM
thanks for the responses.

i haven't decided yet. i am the kind of guy who rarely spends money on things other than necessities (rent, food, cigarettes, gas, beer, POKER) and cd's and books. so, spending $$ on a tattoo (the one i have in mind will probably cost around $100-$150) is something i am unsure about. also, having something on my body forever is in my mind, so i don't know. plus, my dad's been giving me the 'you're 24 and you still haven't gone back to school, and you still put stickers on your car, and you don't do anything productive with your time off work' speech lately. so i might hold off until he's cooled down on that front. i certainly don't need to hear his reaction to a tattoo anytime soon.

so, perhaps i will get this one. i gotta love it first. the girl designing it has had some fantastic work (on her left bicep is a copy of Klimt's painting of a bunch of naked mermaids, and on her right arm is a reproduction of one of Mucha's works. both are done very well, and look great on her.) done on her arms by somebody she knows well. i would certainly meet him beforehand. but i think he could do it well.

i will post on here if i do end up getting it. perhaps ill even get a pic and figure out how to scan it and post it. i hope the Babe will still respect me...

08-27-2002, 07:26 AM
man had "born to lose" tattooed on arm...people criticized him, but truth is ...he had the saying tattoed in his mind years before tattooed on skin..gl...

08-27-2002, 08:58 AM
If you are undecided enough that you asked here, and are concerned with what your father says, I doubt you want one enough. Hold off until you are clear in YOUR mind.

08-27-2002, 01:31 PM
Lemmy from Motorhead has an Ace of Spades tatted on forearm; "Born To Lose" above it, "Live To Win" below it....

08-27-2002, 01:43 PM
I'd actually like to get the tat on me left arm covered up and a tribal suit icons thing sounds cool; I've actually thought about it before, but it's not a real priority to have. Might be a fun thing to do next time in Vegas w/some 2+2'ers watching.

Mebbe somethin' like the four icons being 'blended' together at the bottom into kinda a tornado shape and splitting up into tribal jags separately on top, but still recognizable for what they are.

High limit stud player Adam Roberts[three stud final tables at 2001 WSOP, one bracelet] has the A,2,3,4 of spades tatted on his arm, followed by three bananas.

08-27-2002, 01:55 PM
My birthday's the 20th, so I would love to make the $200 Omaha Hi/Lo at the 4Q's that day my first big tourney win. Plus, Bonnie Damiano is about the nicest person in poker and I promised her in Reno I'd come back[I was there last year on the 11th... /images/frown.gif ]

I just hate the overhead of trips anymore as everything is free for me where I play. I esp hate how Bellagio & Mirage make that one weekly buffet comp into such a hassle.

If I win the tourney we all should eat at Bruszio's, watch me get tatted[see my Design post below], then go play[not necessarily in that order]. Babe also will need to help me buy some new clothes, as I'm a t-shirt-denim shorts-Lugz slipons kinda guy. I've always planned a shopping spree off the first win, tho.

Wanna help me & Vince start the $15-30 HORSE game when I get there? /images/smile.gif

08-27-2002, 03:38 PM
I think you're right. The outward manifestation . . . A friend had "Born to Lose" also; around his navel he had "Oil Here." What, if anything, can we make of that one?

John

08-27-2002, 04:04 PM
What you describe about the suits spriraling up the arm with some extra ornamentation is what I have on my forearm. Done by a Seattle artist who also tattooes people. Not tribal so to speak but certainly artistically embellished. Looks great, IMO.

KJS

08-27-2002, 08:52 PM
Billy- If you come for your birthday, I promise to get you a comp and a cake! (no I will not be jumping out of it in a g-string at the Mirage poker room) /images/smile.gif Starting anything with you and Vince would be a delight, but very dangerous for at least one of us!. Babe likes shopping, of course, but I am not sure about the "tat voyeurism". Of course, if you got a "Billy loves Babe" tat, I might want to witness it. /images/smile.gif If you don't make it for your birthday, maybe the WSOP next year? Of course, then you will have a little competition from other boys like Tommy. /images/wink.gif. LGPG, Babe

08-27-2002, 11:09 PM
I always thought it would be cool to get one of a pair of Aces,(Hearts & Spades, natch)just below the neckline at the top-center of my back, with either the chinese or japanese characters for "I Call" under it(whichever looked cooler).

08-27-2002, 11:35 PM
Get the tat, don't listen to the nerds!

08-28-2002, 12:11 AM

08-28-2002, 07:49 AM
should be i raise...

08-28-2002, 10:39 AM
Plus, that would be too obvious. Remember Yardley and the football trick;is your opponent smart, or just half smart?

08-29-2002, 03:56 AM
HDPM,

not a bad line of thinking. however, i was just posting to see what people's thoughts were on the subject. i won't base my decision on what you all say (sorry). and its not that i care what my dad says about my tattoo. if i want it, i will get it no matter what he thinks. but, i just dont want to hear it right now. and the lecture would be worse right now, as he's on one of those kicks with me lately.

but i won't get it until im sure.

08-30-2002, 11:04 PM
...is the ace of spades! the ace of spades!

Lemmy Kilmster

Actually, I have the ace of spades tattooed on my left shoulder. No lie. Absolutely no regrets about it either. Next time you see me playing at the table, ask to see it. If I'm wearing a tanktop, you automatically get to see it.

Dave in Cali

08-30-2002, 11:13 PM
Your comments on tatoos are right on the money. I tend to feel that people with tattoos are probably going to be more interesting than those without. Express yourself. Get whatever floats your boat permanantly etched in ink on your flesh.

I was thinking of getting the queen of spades tattooed on my ass... Is this tempting fate? I'm not superstitious, but I'm sure this idea will send chills though many people's spines.

Dave in Cali