PDA

View Full Version : How to decide when to go for a checkraise

Peter
09-28-2004, 03:27 PM
I have a little trouble how to decide when I should go for a checkraise when I'm in EP or in the blinds and I flop something good. Say I'm BB, get a free play and flop 2 pair. Under what conditions do you checkraise?
Most of the time I'm afraid it gets checked through, so I end up betting.

Example hand:
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Peter is BB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $2.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, SB completes, Peter checks.

Flop: (6 SB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>

I decide to bet out, to see how many players will come along and then CR the turn.
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Peter bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>

Now I think this would be a good opportunity to CR, however, I don't know where the bet will come from, so I just bet out again.

SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Peter bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP3 folds, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Peter 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Button folds.

Obviously, this would have been a good time to CR, because the player to my left probably would have bet. How do you decide?

River: (13.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

compsolv
09-28-2004, 03:32 PM
I believe this is when reads of your players is critical.

This is one of the reasons that I do not like multitabling all that much.

When you are studying your opponents closely, you will know who will bet following your check . . .oh yes . . . you will know.

Gordon Scott
09-28-2004, 03:51 PM
I bet out the flop. I don't give free cards with made hand when bigger draws are out. I guess if I was in a CR frame and hate this board I would check raise the turn and check call the river when the flush and 3rd broadway card hit.

That was one of the worst river cards in the deck for your hand and with that many callers no way I CR the river.

Best of Luck

Peter
09-28-2004, 03:52 PM
You will let it depend only on your reads of the players?

MoreWineII
09-28-2004, 03:57 PM
In this case, bet bet bet.

joker122
09-28-2004, 04:06 PM
Your question is way to general for anyone to give you a good answer. Post some specific hands in which you were unsure if you should CR or bet out. The hand you posted was played perfectly though.

compsolv
09-28-2004, 04:17 PM
Yes - I am using my reads on the players as the primary instrument. I also consider the board and I also consider how my play will be interpreted.

Without reads on players here - which I do not have obviously - here are some observations I would consider....

1) You did not raise pre-flop, therefore . . .slimmer chance that they are fearing you for a check raise on the turn.

2) The board is such that a King or Queen holder will want to bet at this to avoid giving free cards.

Peter
09-28-2004, 04:45 PM
At the river it was heads-up. And the other player was already put all-in on the turn. I didn't bother to post that, since I figured that the only streets to CR would be either flop or turn anyway.

Peter

Peter
09-28-2004, 04:50 PM
The player left on the river was put all-in on the turn. If he wouldn't be all-in, I would have bet the river.

It turned out he had A /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif.

Peter

Bluffoon
09-28-2004, 04:54 PM
I think that with five opponents and that board someone is going to bet, if it's early, great, everyone has to pay two big bets to draw out, if its late ok too, tmaybe you can knock somebody out. Either way the reward is, in my opinion, worth the risk. Go for the check raise on the turn here.

Gally327
09-28-2004, 05:13 PM
hey-
I dont really think this is a check-raise hand. There are too many possible draws out there for you not to bet out. You have to be able to give your oppoenent a possible free card in order for a check raise to be correct. I think that you did good by letting this hadn play itself because you did get a 3 bet out of it on the more expensive street. If the heart draw wasnt out there then a check raise could be a good play. TOP has a good section on the check raise theory.
Later,
Ryan