PDA

View Full Version : Possible to let go of KK preflop?

StratDiamond
09-28-2004, 03:25 PM
Been playing at a 1/2 250 max buy in table for about half an hour. I have 200 in front of me, and find two kings in my hand under the gun.

The table is pretty loose, and I want some callers, so I bet $10 (here is where I think I made my mistake). Got 3 callers after me.

Then the button bets $70 bucks. This guy has been very aggressive with less before, so I read this as a possible postion play, AK, or large pocket pair.

I push all in, and the button turns over aces.

Is it possible to get away from my Kings? One way I can see is to have way overbet in the beginning, like $40 bucks, and then folded against an all-in, assuming they had the aces. (It would have to be that big to send a message, $20 raises had been smooth called by people at this table with low suited connectors, low pocket pairs, etc.) But I would have got no callers had I done that...

Wondering at what point you throw the kings down in a pre-flop situation like this.

Any thoughts? Let me have the worst of it...

Dominic
09-28-2004, 03:37 PM
pretty tough to lay down KK pre-flop...unless you have a read on the guy as a rock, put it all in there!

Roman
09-28-2004, 04:00 PM
I think pushing all in is a bad play. It will get QQ and AK to correctly fold, and pretty much only AA will call you here.

I would call and see a flop, ready to go to the rail on a non QJx QAx QTx etc flop.

fabcunha
09-28-2004, 04:13 PM
Really hard to lay down kings. I think you did the correct play

The4thFilm
09-28-2004, 06:15 PM
I'd be happy winning $70+ without seeing a flop.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
09-28-2004, 10:29 PM
I have folded KK once preflop, and the guy had AA. Unless im 99% sure someone has AA, i dont fold.

cornell2005
09-29-2004, 07:41 AM
its not too hard to lay them down in a 250BB game. however in this situation its more difficult, because you were the one that had to make the reraise. if theres a reraise, then a rereraise in front of yo in a deep game like that its not out of the question

Girazze
09-29-2004, 07:47 AM
You did fine. Push with KK is definitely +EV. Yeah, you'll be up against AA on occasion but not often enough to consider folding it.

ZManODS
09-29-2004, 08:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think pushing all in is a bad play. It will get QQ and AK to correctly fold, and pretty much only AA will call you here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling is horrible!!. Why give a PP a chance to hit their set or AK to hit an Ace. He is only behind to AA and if the oppenent folds he wins the $110 thats in the pot already.

It would have been different if hero bet $50 preflop THEN got raised by the button. But still you better be 100% that your oppenent has AA.

phil_ivey_fan
09-29-2004, 09:07 AM
Sorry, I don't think you can get away from KK preflop unless you see the other guys cards and he has Aces.

On a serious note, lets talk possible hands. I would have him on (from the situation described above) QQ,KK,AA maybe even JJ (but not likely). You raised to $10 and got 3 callers. He's thinking his Ks or Qs are looking pretty good right now. He reraises to $70 to represent As, and hopes to take it down there. Was he really expecting callers w/ a $60 reraise? No. Only callers would be hands better than his, so by only reraising $60, he could get away if he had to.

But unfortunately, he had As.

Tough situation. Very tough, but you passed. You made the correct decision. You were holding the 2nd best starting hand in poker. Only time I've ever laid down Ks was after the flop. I'll never lay down Ks preflop...EVER!!!