PDA

View Full Version : John 'The Mouth' Madden

Zeno
09-28-2004, 01:08 PM
Switching between watching the Rockies/Dodgers baseball game (a good one) and Monday Night Football last night I turned the mute off for a while to listen in on the driveling babble. True to form, motor mouth Madden was giving his 'analysis' after every single play. Every one. He never shuts up. You could put an electric generating wind turbine in front of his mouth and produce enough electricity to light up Los Angles.

He gabs so much that ABC only needs him and what's his name in the booth. No way a third person could get a word in even with a steel wedge and a sledgehammer. And speaking of sledgehammers, someone should stick one in Madden's mouth.

The Mute button was on again in just a few plays.

And speaking of TV sport announcers there are so few good ones that it never really pays to have the sound on while watching just about any sports program.

TV sport announcers, like Lawyers, should all be killed. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-Zeno

ThaSaltCracka
09-28-2004, 01:17 PM
Madden really does suck, and all he does is state the obvious.

bosoxfan
09-28-2004, 01:48 PM
It would be ok if he added something to the game. He tells us what's happening which we can already see instead of why it is happening.

Boomer Esiason does a pretty good job of explaining the why's. Like who did what wrong on a busted play.

J.R.
09-28-2004, 01:59 PM
Shouldn't he be in the pro football hall of fame? Sure, he only coached ten years but has the second highest winning percentage of all time (112-39) amongst coaches with 100 games (second only to Lombardi), never coached an NFL team with a losing record (I think the worst team he coached was 9-7), and he won a super bowl in 1976-1977 with one of the greatest teams of all time who won 17 straight over 1976 and 1977 seasons and finished the 1976 regular season 13-1 in route to playoff blowouts against the Chuck Noll coached Steelers (24-7) and the Vikings in Super Bowl XI, (32-14).

George Allen was only 116-47 over 12 seasons, and was 2-5 in the playoffs and never won a super bowl, but he is enshrined (he was twice nfl coach fo the year). Marv Levey is in the hall of fame and was only 112-70 over 11 regular seasons, 11-8 in the playoffs without a superbowl. Sid Gillman, although a pioneer of the passing game and a great coach during the AFL's infancy, was only 123-104 over 18 seasons. Hank Stramm won one super bowl in 2 tries and was 131-97 over 17 seasons (although he is credited with developign the 2 tight end set).

Plus, although separate from his coaching, his announcing (however irritating it may be) and his Madden video games (don't downplay the significant effect of Madden's video games on NFL interest amongst high schoolers and young adults) have really elevated him in terms of being a statesman of the game. Its true that the selection committe has traditionally been a bunch of prudes, but it seems like they are comming around and becoming more willing to induct people into Canton. Sure there are other coaches who are worthy as well, but that doesn't mean Madden should be excluded

Toro
09-28-2004, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, like in the Super Bowl 3 years ago when he said Brady should take a knee at the end of the game and let the game go into overtime.

Oski
09-28-2004, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The things he pointed out 20 years ago, were not obvious at the time. Since he has educated most football fans from a coach's perspective, yes, his statements are now obvious.

He also would not seem so over-the-top if every other color commentator over the last 15 years hasn't tried to copy him.

Madden did a lot for the game. Yes, a lot of his commentary is not necessary, however, since he is the one who basically invented (or reinvented) the position, he should be cut some slack.

andyfox
09-28-2004, 02:40 PM
I'm finding Vin Scully to be the same way. He loves to hear himself talk. I used to like the guy, now I can barely listen to him.

Clarkmeister
09-28-2004, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm finding Vin Scully to be the same way. He loves to hear himself talk. I used to like the guy, now I can barely listen to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way man, I watch Dodger games on FSN only because of Scully. He's still got it down perfect.

Trust a guy who is a rabid Cardinal fan and grew up in Chicago. I listened to countless Jack Buck Cardinal games on 1120AM at night and countless Harry Caray games on WGM during the days. They both lost it a little at the end, but man, that didn't matter one bit. Treasure Scully while he's still around.

andyfox
09-28-2004, 03:58 PM
Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

sfer
09-28-2004, 09:57 PM
No call I ever hear will be better than, "Behind the bag...it through by Buckner! Here comes Knight and the Mets win it!" when I was 11.

Sooga
09-28-2004, 11:55 PM
Aaaaaaaaaabsolutely. I find it troubling that I actually agree with Clarky on something, but Vin Scully is so much better than another announcer out there. You might say he talks so much.... you know why? HE'S BY HIMSELF! Next time you're watching a baseball game, turn off the sound and try to talk for even an inning. Make up stuff if you want. It's still very difficult to do. Vin also has a voice that makes it sound like he's talking directly to you... he has a very personal feel, something you won't find with other sportscasters.