PDA

View Full Version : Commentary: Lord Foul's Bane

Wahoo91
09-28-2004, 12:47 PM
I know a lot of people like this book (and series) but I really struggled to find much in it to like.

The "hero" is highly unlikeable and his self-hatred is exasperating. The other parts of the book were just not up to par with other good/great books of the genre.

I had to stop about 3/4 through, not enough there to keep my interest.

Just finished Jhereg and Yendi. Now those are good books. I understand that series heads downhill from here...

Kopefire
09-28-2004, 12:54 PM
One of the points of the "Thomas Covenant" series is to question what it is about character that makes one a hero. Is it what you do? Is it why you do it? Is it the effect of the action? Is it the underlying character of the actor?

These books (the entier 2 trilogies) are very well written and have a great deal of character depth. While it's perfectly reasonable to not like them for whatever reason . .it's also the case that these are good books. But not every good book appeals to every reader.

Dominic
09-28-2004, 01:37 PM
The Six Thomas Covenant books got me interested in Fantasy back in college...great stuff, found it to be an adult Lord of the Rings...but not for everyone.

pokerjo22
09-28-2004, 04:27 PM
I read them as a kid and really liked them. I tried to read his 'Gap' series just recently and thought it was pants.