PDA

View Full Version : My SNG dilemma

Indiana
09-28-2004, 12:41 PM
What do you do when you have been playing a careful game, not really increasing your stack that much and you are getting down to the last 4-5 players as one of the smaller stacks? I have found that this happens around 40% of the time and I can't decide what to do...Do I gamble and push with A9o or just continue to be patient and wait for a better hand while my stack continues to shrink?

Thanks,

Indiana

Matt Finkelstein
09-28-2004, 12:58 PM
You've got to go with your instincts. If you can be first in the pot with a small pocket pair or low suited connectors or KJ, Go with it. I would not raise a limper with A-9, and would only push on the button or out of the blinds with it. The goal is to avoid being dominated. If you are called after pushing with K8 or Ax, you are more likely to be dominated than with a low suited connector, where yo'ur looking at just under 40% to 2 overs. If you've been playing careful poker and it's a good game, your all in should get respect, at least the first 2 times. In fact, it might not be a bad idea short handed when you've been playing tight to push UTG with nothing.

jrz1972
09-28-2004, 01:13 PM
Great question. Being relatively new to sngs I've wondered the same thing. I try to play pretty tight early on, which usually allows me to survive to the top 4-5. Frequently I'm able to catch a hand against an over-aggressive player and double up, in which case I'm continuing to try to pick my spots until I'm in the money. But about half the time the over-aggressive players are gone before I get to take a shot at them, and I find myself about tied with 1-2 other stacks at around 1200-1600 (1500 starting chips) once we get down to 4 or 5 players. That period of the tournament gets really nerve-wracking, and I often find myself taking chances that in hindsight I think are stupid in an effort to get ahead. I've been thinking that I need to continue to pick my spots and not panic, but I'm looking forward to commentary in this thread.

Indiana
09-28-2004, 01:21 PM
I like your comments about being dominated...And I like your idea about pushing in the blinds or on the button, as you have more of an idea about the other hands at the table than you do when you just open push. How do you feel about sitting there patiently and just waiting for a good hand, while taking the risk of being blinded out...

Indiana

chill888
09-28-2004, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you do when you have been playing a careful game, not really increasing your stack that much and you are getting down to the last 4-5 players as one of the smaller stacks? I have found that this happens around 40% of the time and I can't decide what to do...Do I gamble and push with A9o or just continue to be patient and wait for a better hand while my stack continues to shrink?

Thanks,

Indiana

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a tough situation but screams out for paying close attention to opponents playing styles and looking for best opportunity to get aggressive.

For example, it is not rare fo me to go 35 or 40 hands at a Stars S&G without winning a hand and then to win my first hand bluff raising a guy that thinks I'm easy to steal against.

Do you push with A9o? the answer is it really depends on your opponents and the texture of the game.

I know that doesn't help too much but great players (far better than me) get a feel for the game and can identify opportunities where EV is higher than might be expected at 1st glance.

Step one is knowing your opponents. Pay attention and use tracking software.

gl

Indiana
09-28-2004, 01:24 PM
Yeah,

this has gotten me off my strategic game and made me play wild to try and get more chips early...I don't recommend that as you will hardly ever make the money...I'd say that I get into this problem about 1/2 of the time that I play...The other 1/2 I am usually pretty strong going into the final few players and make the money...My confusion is whether to get real aggressive or just play tight and continue to be patient...Not sure

Indiana

oscar057
09-28-2004, 01:36 PM
It is essential that you look for opportunities to steal blinds when you are down to the last 4-5 players. You need to be the first in the pot and bet very strongly - all in if you are the small stack. A9o can be a good hand to push if you have a tight table image and are the first to enter the pot.

BS Yee
09-28-2004, 01:50 PM
As tough as it is, you have to be patient and pick a spot to fight. Twice, I've been down to $270 in a PS SnG w/4-t players left and come back to win. I certainly don't advocate that but I played as patient as I could then got fortunate and doubled up. A9o may not be a bad play if you're first in - if there's a 150BB limp or raise in front of you, you just have to pass.

Klak
09-28-2004, 02:05 PM
id say wait until you are in a good postion to try to push. the button and the small blind(after everyone passes) are the best places to steal from. you HAVE to get aggessive when it gets to this point in the game.

UsedToBeARock
09-29-2004, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As tough as it is, you have to be patient and pick a spot to fight. Twice, I've been down to $270 in a PS SnG w/4-t players left and come back to win. I certainly don't advocate that but I played as patient as I could then got fortunate and doubled up. A9o may not be a bad play if you're first in - if there's a 150BB limp or raise in front of you, you just have to pass.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second this. I've been even lower and come back to win - it's tough to wait, but I find that a lot of people don't have the patience I have and will throw it away with even more chips than that. I spend the time rooting for the big stacks to attack each other!

Just remember that if you are very short stacked with 4 left, you *will* get a call. They all want to make the money...

chill888
09-29-2004, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second this. I've been even lower and come back to win - it's tough to wait, but I find that a lot of people don't have the patience I have and will throw it away with even more chips than that. I spend the time rooting for the big stacks to attack each other!

Just remember that if you are very short stacked with 4 left, you *will* get a call. They all want to make the money...

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice, sounds like you are still a rock Mr UsedtobeaRock.

gl